TJ Resigns from DSR? (1 Viewer)

will never no the truth,, political correct-ness will take over as usual, and TJ is a gentleman, and have to keep it hush:mad:

Well when Gray retires, it will be the same scenario. Johnny is funding that car, when he leaves, so does the budget. So for that car to be running in '14, I imagine a sponsor will need to be on board.

You hit it right on the head Nunzio.

I hope it works out for TJ and that he has some type of contingency plan in place, even if it is working for another team and not necessarily driving. Say what you will about his situation at DSR, but at least it was a steady paycheck for TJ the last couple of seasons.

...Maybe it's because I've been a fan long enough to know it wasn't always about reading your sponsor list and taking a fake sip of the sponsor's brand of drink during an on-camera interview....

Jim. Did you catch Brad Keselowski's interview from Homestead Fla after he locked down the season's championship?

Think you would have liked it! :D

Brad K just has the right sponsor.

For as long as it has existed, at the highest levels, motorsports racing runs on cubic dollars. As the speeds get higher, the guy supplying the dollars tend not to be the driver, but that is always the entity making the call.

What is oftentimes lost when people wish for the "good ole days" is that they are asking for a sport that doesn't evolve to the higher levels. Smash up derbies will always be dominated by "true drivers" but we all share the love of the drivers with the love of the machines and crew chiefs at the highest levels of the NHRA. Got to put the drivers behind the crew chiefs if you are a true lover of top tier motorsports. Unfortunately, the drivers are more like the people who deliver the nightly news ... certainly they are talented, but they are more market facing than purely talented at driving the car since the costs have driven the need for revenue ever higher.

Motocross is actually a nice combination of rider talent and mechanical/crew chief talent. I guess their you can say that is the circus coming to town too, since their top tier is also owned by Feld.

Motocross is actually a nice combination of rider talent and mechanical/crew chief talent. I guess their you can say that is the circus coming to town too, since their top tier is also owned by Feld.

And were smart enough to size the package for TV-and set a steady time for the events to be on.

I think we all have to remember that since these cars run on CUBIC DOLLARS the quality of the driver is not as important as the quality of the money. These cars are pure business. The people involved get to enjoy it but when the money is gone it is over. Maybe that is why they call them the "PRO" catagories!!

It is, however, there is just the same disparity of dollars between the top teams and the lower teams that is in all other professional motorsports. Just this week two teams announced closures, including one immediately, which was owned by Jeremy McGrath, and was running sixth in points. All because these teams needed that next level sponsor.

This is a fantastic article about that, but really speaks about the state of motorsports sponsorships in general:

RacerX: Bringing In Outside Money

If what Massey said was true and DSR Fired him for that reason. Then I believe DSR has lost their integrity. Money runs racing, but their is more to this world then racing.

As for major sponsors or associated sponsors. If it was me I would stay clear of that car just because of the perception of what was said, who is paying etc.

I do know that as a racer I will not support any products on that car.

Don & DSR You lost a fan here.

This is exactly why I just can't seem to get excited about NHRA drag racing lately. It's not a sport anymore, nor has it been for years. It's all business, and it's certainly not anything about winning. It's advertising. It's that stuff you skip over when reading your car magazines. Teams don't exist to win anymore, they exist to keep the guys with money happy. Loyalty is a thing of the past and nobody that could make a difference cares. I've skipped the Sonoma race for the last couple years and think I'm going to Famoso this year instead. I don't pay to see the big guys run a business, I pay my admission to see guys who would bleed to win. Nobody like that left in fuel racing anymore.

Well said.

Sorry Rich, but I had to laugh when I read your "well said." Your team seems about as corporate as any (well except for having their licensing and permitting in order). You are just one of those "for the love of racing" guys?

Barry, I agree my comments may seem a little harsh and I guess I'm just showing my age with some of my observations. But I can say I'm really sick of how racing in general is going these days. Maybe it's just age, but maybe it's something else. Maybe it's because I've been a fan long enough to know it wasn't always about reading your sponsor list and taking a fake sip of the sponsor's brand of drink during an on-camera interview. I don't have an answer for how to fix it, but I think someone smarter than me should figure out where this sport is going and soon. With all the talented and respectful drivers out of a ride, how in the hell does Massey just say "I'm sorry", hand over a check and get a top-flight ride back? Is money THAT important? I didn't mean to add fuel to the fire, just voicing my view that money shouldn't turn a wrong into a right. It's painfully obvious that big-money fuel teams couldn't care less about the fans, but they should at least care about right and wrong.

Jim -- i guess this goes back to wally parks. He wanted to organize the guys out on the street to make things safer but also bigger. So im now thinking of short story by Delmore Schwartz. the title is "In Dreams Begin Responsibilities". It took money to get to the next level. at first that came from membership. But then sponsorship came into the picture. Small shops and business gave way to the army and revel. Fast foward to today. Where do we go from here ?? Not back to the begining because the genie is out of the can. Personally i love modern day drag racing. I go to 2-3 nats races a yr and i look foward to being there. As far as teams not caring about fans i dont see that. Every driver is out there giving autographs and talking with all of us. And i dont know of any other sanction body other than NHRA who sends Alan out to stand on the wall and thank the fans for being there. Things arent perfect but they are pretty good

Have we seen anything official saying TJ resigned his spot at DSR? Methinks the Don talked him off the ledge.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back