Breaking news: Beard resigns from rapisarda racing (1 Viewer)

I personally think Lee is a very solid crew chief and tuner and while I'm sorry to see he and Dixon/Rapisarda part ways, who in their right mind can blame him? We as fans sometimes forget that fuel racing is no longer a couple of buddies running a car for kicks. Racing is a business and in business you get the best price for your goods, doesn't matter if it's bowling pins, Cheez Whiz or nitro tuning knowledge. I hate it myself and wish things were more like the days of the Surfers, the Ridge Route Terrors and Jungle Jim era, but it's not and it's not coming back. These days drivers buy rides, tuners hop from team to team and the nice guys don't always win.

I personally think Lee is a very solid crew chief and tuner and while I'm sorry to see he and Dixon/Rapisarda part ways, who in their right mind can blame him? We as fans sometimes forget that fuel racing is no longer a couple of buddies running a car for kicks. Racing is a business and in business you get the best price for your goods, doesn't matter if it's bowling pins, Cheez Whiz or nitro tuning knowledge. I hate it myself and wish things were more like the days of the Surfers, the Ridge Route Terrors and Jungle Jim era, but it's not and it's not coming back. These days drivers buy rides, tuners hop from team to team and the nice guys don't always win.

I have news for you, it was as big buisness then as it is now, the buisness was just different.

For instance rather than have 24/ 3 day events per 10 month season, having to answer to sponsors and one sanctioning body, we had 55 to 60 match race dates per 6-7 month season, and had to answer to all those track owners and promoters, and booking agents, Plus have not one But three sanctioning bodys to answer to and if you were chasing the NHRA Champoinship, you had to run in you'rer divivsion, and the national events to win you're points. And all that living out of the sleeper and back seat of a crewcab dually truck, done buy a couple guys out having "fun" paying the bills racing, not sucking up to the US Military/ sodapop/ energy drink flavor of the year, tool truck or any number of oil products racing for the money to have one this great event for the unteenth in my brief career.

Last edited:
I thought the back of a National Event ticket stated that price of the entry includes every team member, driver, and crew chief kissing your A**? But reading this thread some of you make some good points. These guys actually have a job to do, and there may be some pressure involved. Wow! :)

I thought the back of a National Event ticket stated that price of the entry includes every team member, driver, and crew chief kissing your A**? But reading this thread some of you make some good points. These guys actually have a job to do, and there may be some pressure involved. Wow! :)

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Thx Steve: I needed that!!!
:D ;) :D

Who in the heck would want to race in Australia anyway, unless you're from there. Man, that is a haul.

I have news for you, it was as big buisness then as it is now, the buisness was just different.

For instance rather than have 24/ 3 day events per 10 month season, having to answer to sponsors and one sanctioning body, we had 55 to 60 match race dates per 6-7 month season, and had to answer to all those track owners and promoters, and booking agents, Plus have not one But three sanctioning bodys to answer to and if you were chasing the NHRA Champoinship, you had to run in you'rer divivsion, and the national events to win you're points. And all that living out of the sleeper and back seat of a crewcab dually truck, done buy a couple guys out having "fun" paying the bills racing, not sucking up to the US Military/ sodapop/ energy drink flavor of the year, tool truck or any number of oil products racing for the money to have one this great event for the unteenth in my brief career.

Great post Larry.

I came onboard towards the tail end of those days, and up until then had thought the guys were just joking when they refered to the 'half a hamburger tour'... :eek:

Well maybe, just maybe The Rapisarda/Dixon team can politely convince the "Master Tuner Of Nitro" to come out of retirement, to tune for the races the team has left on the tour. No tuner has won more Nitro Championships, and yes I am talking about Mr Austin Coil, "King Coil". Hey stranger things have happened! What did You say? He's never tuned a Top Fuel Dragster, are You saying he can't? I wouldn't want to take that bet. :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back