Race hauler drivers... (1 Viewer)

Yes Tom...I have had the over weight on the rear tandem nightmares also. A few years ago Bob bought a new golf cart and put it in the trailer. We figured it would only put us about 300 pounds over on the rear, and the scale master will usually not bother you with that small of an amount. We have a pre pass on the truck that sends a signal to a computer as I approach each scale, and then the computer sends a signal back to me and lets me know if it wants me to come in and weigh. So you get to bypass about 75% of the scales. I left Illinois heading for the world finals in California, and when I pulled on to the Arizona scales I was 1500 pounds over on the rear. "Thats not good". They told me if I could get 1000 pounds off the rear then I could go. You seen how much of a problem Jason had moving all that weight in to the lounge. I looked at what I could move, and It would have been a tough deal with out unloading the whole up stairs, and switching the cars around. So I figured that before I moved anything that I would go back in and try a little gift of gab. I told him about the golf cart, and said that if he would let me get to the holbrook truck stop that one of the other teams was waiting on me there, and I could put the golf cart in their trailer. He looked at me with a half cocked grin, and said get out of here. I did meet my buddy at the truck stop...I just didnt put my golf cart in his trailer. I new the other Arizona scale would be closed, and then I could wait for the California scales to close at night. Well I made it to Pomona with no more problems.:) This is the first of a two part story.

Last edited:
Motors in the lounge, oil in the lounge, fuel drums in the lounge... Unload little car load full of extras, load up chase vehicle... not unlike article.

Always stay on major passes if possible and try to look innocent. :D

Always walk in smiling clean and be nice! Attitude will only delay departure. (little ******* in NM on 54 coming out of is his little porta potty hut that didn't matter though just call HP and be done with it)

Watch for open/closed scales like Eugene said.

Convoy as many as possible like the cup boys do. If they get 5-10 good clean operations coming through makes a difference sometimes.

Make general pain in ass of selves starting to unload like your at the track at the Arizona stop has worked in the past.

Get out of Cali late at night, in the cover of dark, and fast!

Always carry swag! Hats and t-shirts. That has helped in some cases. (Oregon liked t-shirts)

Follow a ways behind the always over weight guy... LOL We'll just use the name 'J' for this one. Was always carrying the whole shop so would follow a few miles behind and when he had em tied up usually got a free pass. See attitude is everything previous... :)

Even using CAT scale setting up the load and getting a clean weight ticket does not mean a damn thing when showing it to 'The Nice Lady' in TN. "That's nice we don't care what that says. Your over 200 on the rear!" Never mind going through MO, IL, IN... on the way.

Or could always get the overweight trip ticket as one used to do for the swing. He figured the permit was worth it due to past cash out of pocket. RIP Mineo. (A few stories on that teams travels or as everyone else called adventures)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back