NHRA and Cal-Trans Settle Trailer Issue (1 Viewer)

PS notice the pic in the article? I took that pic out of the windshield of my car on I-15 near Barstow ... how in the heck did it wind up there?

You should definitely contact Bobby and complain. Just because you posted it doesn't give them the implicit right to use it.

Especially since the page has this at the bottom:

All articles and photography published in CompetitionPlus.com are protected by United States of America and International copyright laws unless mentioned otherwise. The content on this website is intended for the private use of the reader and may not be published or reposted in any form without the prior written consent of CompetitionPlus.com.

PS notice the pic in the article? I took that pic out of the windshield of my car on I-15 near Barstow ... how in the heck did it wind up there?

Usually you give credit to the photographer at the end of the story. But the story has some copyright message. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Sorry guys we don't take others work. The photo has since been removed, we thought it was the one taken by the Steve Torrence crew and sent to us. I guess it wasn't their's to send. Sorry about that, it will take a minute to work through the cache but it will be gone soon.

Last edited:
Sorry guys we don't take others work. The photo has since been removed, we thought it was the one taken by the Steve Torrence crew and sent to us. I guess it wasn't their's to send. Sorry about that, it will take a minute to work through the cache but it will be gone soon.

You can leave it up Bobby if you give me the photo credit. It would be the first photo credit I ever got LOL.

You can leave it up Bobby if you give me the photo credit. It would be the first photo credit I ever got LOL.
That was a cool photo, Chris. :) I wish that had not have happened to Steves team, but it did. But at least the problem is solved now.

Last edited:
Schumacher, and Tasca did. I feel bad for them because they spent a lot of money to shorten their trailers. But I'm glad this mess is over.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I remember the discussion in the original thread mentioning that it's more than California law; that the longer trailers are illegal in other states as well. Wasn't it the fact that California was the only state really enforcing it?

If that's the case, Schumacher and Tasca shouldn't feel too bad.

Inquiring minds want to know who the driver and government official that had the disagreement that caused this mess were. That sounds like a great story.

I'm just pretty impressed that PRO finally flexed their muscles a little (it sounds like they took the lead on this, not the NHRA) and got the State of California to come to a reasonable settlement with them.

This was not an easy thing to do, maybe now that PRO got a whiff of the strength they can command when they act together they can use this muscle to push for some other improvements in the sport.

Last edited:
IIRC V. Gaines is in the trucking business. I suspect his unique perspective was helpful in getting this done.

I have no knowledge but, happy to tip the hat to any racer who volunteered his service on this one.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I remember the discussion in the original thread mentioning that it's more than California law; that the longer trailers are illegal in other states as well. Wasn't it the fact that California was the only state really enforcing it?

If that's the case, Schumacher and Tasca shouldn't feel too bad.
I think you can buy permits in the other states. We do not have a 56 so I havn't inquired about that law.

Last edited:
I noticed all of John Force Racing trailers are licenced in Oklahoma while I was at Las Vegas spring race. Is JFR avoiding a tax, or permit??? I would think if Joe Regular Guy did that, his rig would be parked at a State Weigh Station for life!

I noticed all of John Force Racing trailers are licenced in Oklahoma while I was at Las Vegas spring race. Is JFR avoiding a tax, or permit??? I would think if Joe Regular Guy did that, his rig would be parked at a State Weigh Station for life!
Dave, that is a good question. Bross Holland should be able to answer this better then I because he worked for JFR. But I know that some of the larger teams go through an agency that takes care of all the transportation part of their operation. Things like permits, fuel tax payments, log books, drivers driving records, and vehicle registration. It is not uncommon to register a trailer in another state. Most of the trailer registrations are permanent and are good for as long as that owner ownes it. When Kenny Bernsteins race shop was in California his trucks were registered in Texas. I doubt that John Force has any pull with the DOT. Johns dozen or so trailers are a drop in the bucket to the companys with 400 or more trailers. The thing I like about Bodes racing operation is that we only have one truck and trailer to deal with and that simplifies everything.

IIRC V. Gaines is in the trucking business. I suspect his unique perspective was helpful in getting this done.

I have no knowledge but, happy to tip the hat to any racer who volunteered his service on this one.

Yes, he owns a very large trucking company. They have just about every type of truck on the road.... Van body, end dump, flat bed, lowboy, wrecker, roll back, armored car, enclosed auto transport. etc, etc. His fleet is very impressive!

WDTC: Western Distributing Transportation Corporation

Last edited:
Yes, he owns a very large trucking company. They have just about every type of truck on the road.... Van body, end dump, flat bed, lowboy, wrecker, roll back, armored car, enclosed auto transport. etc, etc. His fleet is very impressive!

WDTC: Western Distributing Transportation Corporation

Dang, I wish I would have known that when I had a car shipped coast-to-coast last year by Reliable. They did a great job, but I would rather spend my money with someone in the sport. Especially when it's one of the good guys who is helping the sport. Good job V. !

Thank you V. Gaines for showing some ------ and coming to bat for the drag racing community. You just won a new fan.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back