Transporter Drivers! (1 Viewer)

you

Nitro Member
This is directed to all the transporter drivers out there (Eugene, Ken, etc....).

Have any of you guys ever thought about doing your own blog about your trips between races and your duties on/off the track? Driver blogs are nice, but I'm also interested in what goes on behind the scenes with the people who make it all possible. I know you all are the busiest people in racing and don't have much 'free' time on your hands, but I was just throwing it out there.

Thanks!

This is directed to all the transporter drivers out there (Eugene, Ken, etc....).

Have any of you guys ever thought about doing your own blog about your trips between races and your duties on/off the track? Driver blogs are nice, but I'm also interested in what goes on behind the scenes with the people who make it all possible. I know you all are the busiest people in racing and don't have much 'free' time on your hands, but I was just throwing it out there.

Thanks!
Hi Phillip, I never really thought anyone would be interested in what we do out here on the Nhra tour. It is pretty mild compared to the race car drivers life. To give you an example. It is 11:15 on Tuesday night, and I am sitting here at the track in Gainesville watching a wash crew wash one of the Morgan Lucas transporters that is parked next to me. This year a kid that works with me on a nostalgia f/c, is riding with me in the truck, and helping me set up. That will give me a little more free time. So maybe I can find the time to do a little blog about what goes on behind the scenes. I might have to have Bob Wilber from Tim Wilkersons team tutor me, because I'm a little shy, and I have never done a blog before.:eek:

Dude you will be fine ,I remember your picture story you did last year leaving Chicago for pomona , I can coach ya but Wilbur is a great blogger stay safe still tryin' for vegas 1:cool:

KJB

Hi Phillip, I never really thought anyone would be interested in what we do out here on the Nhra tour. It is pretty mild compared to the race car drivers life. To give you an example. It is 11:15 on Tuesday night, and I am sitting here at the track in Gainesville watching a wash crew wash one of the Morgan Lucas transporters that is parked next to me. This year a kid that works with me on a nostalgia f/c, is riding with me in the truck, and helping me set up. That will give me a little more free time. So maybe I can find the time to do a little blog about what goes on behind the scenes. I might have to have Bob Wilber from Tim Wilkersons team tutor me, because I'm a little shy, and I have never done a blog before.:eek:

Anyone remember the "first" NHRA blog?

It all started with crew member/transporter driver John Collins from Snake's Miller Lite top fuel team. It was a blog of the Miller Lite team's travels on the Western swing.

Still, my favorite blog of all time.

Go for it Euge!

Anyone remember the "first" NHRA blog?

It all started with crew member/transporter driver John Collins from Snake's Miller Lite top fuel team. It was a blog of the Miller Lite team's travels on the Western swing.

Still, my favorite blog of all time.

Go for it Euge!
Yes, that was one of my favorite blogs also.

Ok you guys, here's my story... I have driven Tim's truck several different times over the years, but I do it as a friend and not as an employee. I live in the Sawtooth Mtn. of Idaho so the commute is unreal.. When I leave home for a race I first start at 5:00 AM with a 120 mile drive out of the mountains (winding 2 lane) to the Boise airport, then fly to Denver and change planes on to St. Louis. From there I catch the shuttle to Springfield Ill., by then it's 7:30 PM and I climb in the truck and run for about 3 hrs. before stopping for the night.. Most of the time I stay out for 2 or 3 races before coming home.. I still have trucks running in Idaho, own a Well Drilling company and a Construction company so while I'm on the road or at the track I spend alot of time on the cell phone and laptop. When i come home for the winter I have a snow removal company to keep me busy for the winter. I normally miss the first two or three races of the season because we still have another month of winter here... I collect and restore John Deere 2 cylinder tractors in my shop between snow storms, then use them to do a small amount of farming with them to cut my horse hay. I come home right after the western swing to do my hay... I originally was scheduled to do 13 races this year, but circumstances have changed a little so I probably won't be out till later in the year..(Sorry Eugene, but I won't get to see you in Vegas) So that's my story from the Mtns. of Idaho, where it's snowing right now up here at my house..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok you guys, here's my story...

Thanks for sharing Ken. So how did you get the opportunity to drive for Tim? I'm sure he didn't just throw a dart at a map and picked a guy in the mountians of Idaho to be responsible for his multi-million dollar operation criss crossing the country.

Thanks for sharing Ken. So how did you get the opportunity to drive for Tim? I'm sure he didn't just throw a dart at a map and picked a guy in the mountians of Idaho to be responsible for his multi-million dollar operation criss crossing the country.

Well Phillip, Here's the whole story.. Many years ago I met Tim, and instantly formed a real admiration for the guy and how he ran his operation. I became friends with him, but would only see him maybe once or twice a year.. I decided to retire for a year from my operations at home and go help out a team. I had two teams in mind Tim or Scott Weiss, and decided on Tim mainly because I like Funny Cars better than Dragsters... I went to Tim and told him I would like to come help him if he wanted the help. I would donate my time and pay my own way just to help keep 'the smaller teams' alive in the corporate world of drag racing... With over 3 million (accident free) miles behind me in my own trucks, I guess he thought I was a natural to haul his operation around the country... Now I'm "The Old Guy" around there and go in when they need me and that's just fine with me.... I would probably go back full time for Tim on Dan's team if that would make a difference in Dan getting to race more... I just love that kid..... But for now I'm happy hanging out here, running my own stuff hands on and hanging out with my horses...
I really like hanging around Tim, Krista and the kids and would do anything for them.. Tim's dad Roy and I have a blast together when I'm out there too.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now I'm "The Old Guy" around there

Ken,
(This is Ken's wife Dionne writing)
Tim has had a bit of a reputation for having "Old Guys" around his pit area. My Dad (Ron, old clutch guy) was one of the original "Old Guys". You are right about Tim and his family, they are a wonderful group of people and a great team to be working for. My son Gabe worked on Scot Weis' team for a season and the Weis family are also a great group of people. They live out in Virginia so your commute might have taken a bit longer :).

Safe travels to you and good luck this season! Got Wilk...you bet!

Dionne

Now I'm "The Old Guy" around there

Ken,
(This is Ken's wife Dionne writing)
Tim has had a bit of a reputation for having "Old Guys" around his pit area. My Dad (Ron, old clutch guy) was one of the original "Old Guys". You are right about Tim and his family, they are a wonderful group of people and a great team to be working for. My son Gabe worked on Scot Weis' team for a season and the Weis family are also a great group of people. They live out in Virginia so your commute might have taken a bit longer :).

Safe travels to you and good luck this season! Got Wilk...you bet!

Dionne

Tell Ronnie hi for me.... I never got to see him last year, I suspected he was out shooting all the time... He is a Great Guy, and I feel blessed I got to know him and work with him...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tell Ronnie hi for me.... I never got to see him last year, I suspected he was out shooting all the time... He is a Great Guy, and I feel blessed I got to know him and work with him...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Will do! Hopefully we will get him out to a few races this season, Joliet, Indy. He is not a good spectator but does come out to watch grandson Gabe carry on the clutch tradition over on Grubby's car.

Dionne

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back