The Smith - Arana incident (1 Viewer)

NHRA should have stayed out of it. If Smith was inside Arana's pit, his crew has every right to protect him. If Arana cussed out any one on Smith's team, Smith's crew should have taken care of it for him or at least been with him. Never go into someone's pit unfriendly and expect to come out unscathed.

NHRA should have stayed out of it. If Smith was inside Arana's pit, his crew has every right to protect him. If Arana cussed out any one on Smith's team, Smith's crew should have taken care of it for him or at least been with him. Never go into someone's pit unfriendly and expect to come out unscathed.

Are you serious John?

NHRA has every right to police their events. Gonzalez is lucky he only got suspended from this race and not bounced for the year and fined.....maybe that will come after the race.

Are you serious John?

NHRA has every right to police their events. Gonzalez is lucky he only got suspended from this race and not bounced for the year and fined.....maybe that will come after the race.

Sorry. I forgot the PC, don't keep score, every one gets a ribbon crowd, has taken over all sports in this country. Thankfully Drag Racing doesn't work that way.

Did you actually read the story? Matt went to the back of Hector's pit and asked him to come out. The incident didn't happen in anyone's pit. And supposedly the first punch was a low class sucker punch and the next two were while he was being restrained. PC?

Did Hector pay commissions to the guy that made the original body work? The seat on Angie's bike was bought and paid for so why complain to her? And you can at least talk civilly if you do have a complaint.

Anyone that makes a similar but different seat doesn't owe Hector anything, IMO.

Sorry. I forgot the PC, don't keep score, every one gets a ribbon crowd, has taken over all sports in this country. Thankfully Drag Racing doesn't work that way.
Stop it John ... this isn't a PC issue or about participation trophies. Matt Smith was assaulted and he could press charges if he wanted. They are all lucky it wasn't worse. RP Security is very tight with the local PD and neither put up with nonsense. The suspension may be the result of the Police saying either you (NHRA) do something, or we will. Again without facts, everyone "assumes" NHRA just made a knee jerk reaction and is unfair.

Do you think it would show well for an NHRA who is struggling for fan loyalty to have the fans see a fight in the pits? Shutdown area is one thing, or out of sight but in the wide open access pits in NHRA, I wouldn't want my family to see that bulls***t. Maybe some guys and a few beer drinking buddies might enjoy that. Let them fight it out and nobody should butt in, really? Very mature approach.

Your response is just another example of how some want to be able to do what they want, when you want, wherever you want ... IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY IN THE REAL WORLD!! We have rules and expectations of how you should conduct yourself, especially in a public forum. And especially as a PROFESSIONAL racer, athlete, or public figure head.

Maybe you should go watch an MMA event. Then you can get your tough guy fix.

Prohibiting people from throwing punches is the same thing as "everyone gets a ribbon"? :confused:

The rulebook is extremely clear about this.
Registered member said:
1.3.1 Participant Conduct
Participants at events are expected, at all times, to conduct themselves in a professional and non-disruptive manner consistent with good sportsmanship and NHRA’s role as a family-oriented sports organization with events suitable for attendance by all and, as to those events that are televised, suitable for unrestricted viewing by the general public. Any participant who, in the sole and absolute judgment of NHRA (1) verbally or physically threatens another person; (2) uses vulgar or derogatory language; (3) engages in unsportsmanlike conduct; (4) engages in conduct detrimental to the sport of racing; (5) otherwise creates a condition or circumstance that is unsafe, unfair, or out of order; or (6) otherwise violates any NHRA rule, regulation or agreement, shall have violated this rule regarding participant conduct.

This is a family sport, not MMA. Heck they even have rules in hockey... :cool:

Did you actually read the story? Matt went to the back of Hector's pit and asked him to come out. The incident didn't happen in anyone's pit. And supposedly the first punch was a low class sucker punch and the next two were while he was being restrained. PC?

Did Hector pay commissions to the guy that made the original body work? The seat on Angie's bike was bought and paid for so why complain to her? And you can at least talk civilly if you do have a complaint.

Anyone that makes a similar but different seat doesn't owe Hector anything, IMO.

First story made it sound like he was in the pit. This is a one sided story I think because Arana knows he is wrong. I think Smith was the person in the right. In the pit or not Arana started the fight and his crew threw the punches. Smith's crew should have backed him up.

Herbert"s crew did not back him in the Millican deal years ago and he got rid of all of them.

Prohibiting people from throwing punches is the same thing as "everyone gets a ribbon"? :confused:

The rulebook is extremely clear about this.

This is a family sport, not MMA. Heck they even have rules in hockey... :cool:

Go back a few years and pull this on Kallita.

Stop it John ... this isn't a PC issue or about participation trophies. Matt Smith was assaulted and he could press charges if he wanted. They are all lucky it wasn't worse. RP Security is very tight with the local PD and neither put up with nonsense. The suspension may be the result of the Police saying either you (NHRA) do something, or we will. Again without facts, everyone "assumes" NHRA just made a knee jerk reaction and is unfair.

Do you think it would show well for an NHRA who is struggling for fan loyalty to have the fans see a fight in the pits? Shutdown area is one thing, or out of sight but in the wide open access pits in NHRA, I wouldn't want my family to see that bulls***t. Maybe some guys and a few beer drinking buddies might enjoy that. Let them fight it out and nobody should butt in, really? Very mature approach.

Your response is just another example of how some want to be able to do what they want, when you want, wherever you want ... IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY IN THE REAL WORLD!! We have rules and expectations of how you should conduct yourself, especially in a public forum. And especially as a PROFESSIONAL racer, athlete, or public figure head.

Maybe you should go watch an MMA event. Then you can get your tough guy fix.

Can't stand MMA. Some body did butt in, Arana's crew chief. A fight in the pits is not going to keep very many away. NHRA can't fix: the race tracks they own, run the Sportsman off, timing issues, one lane race tracks, and high ticket prices. Let the crews take care of them selves.

Last edited:
First story made it sound like he was in the pit. This is a one sided story I think because Arana knows he is wrong. I think Smith was the person in the right. In the pit or not Arana started the fight and his crew threw the punches. Smith's crew should have backed him up.

Herbert"s crew did not back him in the Millican deal years ago and he got rid of all of them.

Smith's crew did back him up by restraining him and not allowing him to do something that would get him thrown out of the event.

I was right there when Herbert and Millican had words. No punches thrown, just a lot of words, threats and finger pointing and nobody's crew got fired over it. Any ways, why would Doug need anybody to back him up against Clay? Just a little difference in size.

I'm in a neighbourhood that's close to both small and huge world class racing sail boats/yachts and am a big fan. The technology there is second to none, apart from DR of course :)

Not sure I caught all the details that lead to the above headlines, but was in a pro yacht building shop a few years ago where one of the most qualified carbon fibre artists in the world made a stepped seat like that for a sportsman bike in a time span that qualifies as a coffee break.

That included winging it from an "in-brain-this-should-work"-design to laying the composite and shutting down a huge shop for the night. Top o'the line work done with the same kinda concentration normal people have for picking up a coffee cup in the morning.

Regards
PiPPi

Last edited:
Well they are in Joisy,I heard Tony Soprano is on the way to settle this lol.

I don't know who said what, or who hit who, and neither does anybody else other than those who were there that moment. Having said that, *IF* anything was said in a disrespectful manner about my wife over a damn PSM seat, you're leaving our conversation with less teeth. No room for that anytime, anywhere. Period.

Can't stand MMA. Some body did butt in, Arana's crew chief. A fight in the pits is not going to keep very many away. NHRA can't fix: the race tracks they own, run the Sportsman off, timing issues, one lane race tracks, and high ticket prices. Let the crews take care of them selves.
They are at an NHRA sanctioned event on private property owned by the Napp family ... really let the crews take care of themselves. Get over your yourself. So I guess if you were there with your family and saw crews fighting, you would tell your kids ... "that's just guys being guys, they are taking care of themselves". Please, ridiculous mind set if you ask me.

I don't know who said what, or who hit who, and neither does anybody else other than those who were there that moment. Having said that, *IF* anything was said in a disrespectful manner about my wife over a damn PSM seat, you're leaving our conversation with less teeth. No room for that anytime, anywhere. Period.
I agree with you 100% on principle, but I also understand there could be consequences for my actions after that.

From what I've read, I'm embarrassed for Arana on this one! You consider a stepped seat your personal intellectual property? Give me a break. If Smith pulled a mold off of Angie's seat ... maybe you have a gripe, but it sure doesn't look like that happened based on the pic. Par's got this one, real basic work for anyone who deals with mat and rosen.

Jim, when you invite the public (and charge them for coming), you property is no longer "private" for the duration of that event ... same reason a cop can ticket you for doing donuts in the WalMart parking lot.

Hope Arana comes clean on this and we all move on quickly.

Congrats to Steve Johnson for a hell of a run.

If it had been Matt Hines' crew chief, NHRA would have roped off an area, given both combatants boxing gloves and sold tickets to see it.

Old Man Arana is no stranger to dropping F bombs on people, and his gripe over that seat is beyond ridiculous. But when the dust settles, it's the unprovoked punch on the part of Martinez that NHRA isn't going to tolerate. Ask Ron Capps or Ed McCulloch if it's OK to punch someone durning a national event, on track grounds.

Smith says he was hit, Arana Sr. said no punches were thrown, witness Bryce says someone was hit...... someone isn't telling the truth.....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back