STARTING LINE SCUFFLE REVEALS LARGER ISSUE UNDER THE SURFACE (1 Viewer)

Today if a FC crosses the center line at 1,100' it's OK. Only difference is today the cars are going much faster. So why isn't it a DQ now

Because today it's after the finish line? I think that's a pretty big difference. 8 years ago if a car drove past it's opponent at 1100' it was a win. Why isn't it a win now? Because it's after the finish line.

Perhaps its time to modify the rule to where if you are DQ'd if you cross the center line or hit the wall at any point on the race track.

I think it was 94 or 95 and Connie was racing Scott. Only Scotts car came to the line, Connie said "Hes in the championship and I'm not". I don't think I heard another word about it....be honest, everyone knows whats going on!
IMO that's more honorable than going through the motions and pretending that you are actually going to race when your intentions are to take a dive.

Mike I understand why because it's after the finish line results in NO DQ. My point is it's more dangerous now at today's speed. Two car colliding at 990' is just as bad as 1,005' just because it's after the stripe doesn't make the wreck any less dangerous.

NHRA has several options .1. next season all funny cars back to previous header angle. Everybody wins.2 John drives daughters T/F -She drives the peak funny car. 3. NHRA starts new "stay in your lane" rules.severe points penalty and /or race suspension.

Re. the header angle, it is being changed back for 2018 with the reasoning being that some drivers are having difficulty controlling the cars adequately. In fairness many have had occasional difficulty, but a couple of the more egregious are under the JFR banner....... FWIW, there was a time in John's career when he could *will* a car down the track better than anyone, but maybe those days are gone?

It's really hard to make a call on 'staying in your lane' after the finish line, as at some point you have to cross to make the turnoff. I don't think we'd want a penalty on a judgement call past the finish line. The driver would just say, "What? I was just getting ready for the turnoff early!" :D

Last edited:
I think John Force needs to follow the lead of Don Prudhomme and Kenny Bernstien and that is drive a dragster next season. You can't make the long quarter mile burnouts anymore anyway so the show is not much different in either catagory compared to the old days. Plus, it would add some much needed excitement to his career and the Top Fuel class as well.

Because today it's after the finish line? I think that's a pretty big difference. 8 years ago if a car drove past it's opponent at 1100' it was a win. Why isn't it a win now? Because it's after the finish line.

Kinda' correct Mike.. , but I'm pretty sure Harry was dealing with the conceptual difference of safety / real gravity of accidents, as opposed to a rulebook / rule change... ..and I have to admit - He's got a pretty good point - physics doesn't change just because NHRA decided to endorse a different track length.. But, he's been to the track more times than most people , but , he had a headstart - he's old..

Well it's obvious that John can do no wrong in your book, he dove, the paying fans got ripped off, case closed.

Rick
No I only said in the race with Del Worsham, he did not obscure Del's vision with the camera on the right you could still see half of Del's windshield. Maybe John has
"lost it" I don't think he walks on water and I'll be the first to admit being an OLD racer myself if I think he should quit. I think he is considering it himself to be quite
truthful. He is a lot more subdued in his interviews lately. So we shall see. I hope it doesn't take another crash to be the deciding factor!

No I only said in the race with Del Worsham, he did not obscure Del's vision with the camera on the right you could still see half of Del's windshield. Maybe John has
"lost it" I don't think he walks on water and I'll be the first to admit being an OLD racer myself if I think he should quit. I think he is considering it himself to be quite
truthful. He is a lot more subdued in his interviews lately. So we shall see. I hope it doesn't take another crash to be the deciding factor!

I agree, don't want him or anyone to get hurt.

Rick

Make the full 1/4 uncrossable in Nitro. The line is already there. By the time they pass the quarter they should have everything under control, if not they have the extra room.

Either that or last put those bowling bumper rails that kids use on the lanes. The drop down with a quick push of the button, they can come out when Force runs :)

now in perspective,
you get cut off at 70 mph on the freeway and get startled, freaked out
now try it at 300mph, then chutes pop open, I think Del was justified at the moment
looking back Del probably realizes it was not as close as he thought.
it is definitely part of racing, they all have done it, John has been off his game this year
if you think back he was very vocal about the laid back headers,
He added a "gunsight" on his injector hat to keep centered, it is there every pass, just look at his car

i think it's a FC thing......some drivers better than others with this current package. not seeing too much lane changing going on over in TF, or at least it's much more prevalent in FC rite now.
you're going 330mph and one rear gets out of the groove......good luck. seems like obvious
physics how much quicker the shorter wheelbase is prone to turn; either towards the centerline
or the wall, and there have been plenty of FC wall slappers in the last two years.....IMO a DQ for
hitting any portion of the centerline or wall before 1320' would be good for further safety.
yes, that would mean the capco crash would have been a DQ too, even though there was no
preventing it. just bad luck when parts fail.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back