Force Offers Retraction (1 Viewer)

Registered member said:
If I made the statement that I hate Tony or [Don] Schumacher … John Force will not allow himself to hate anybody, even if he had the right, otherwise all of my prayers would have no meaning.

Chris Williams just can't tell you how much he hates people who refer to themselves in the third person. :rolleyes:

We've seen a big difference in overall reactions. Force says I'm sorry for my behavior that day and neither Pedregon does. They just want a do-over. Does anyone want to bet on a forthcoming apology from the other camp for taunting and name calling? Didn't think so.

We've seen a big difference in overall reactions. Force says I'm sorry for my behavior that day and neither Pedregon does. They just want a do-over. Does anyone want to bet on a forthcoming apology from the other camp for taunting and name calling? Didn't think so.

I very much agree with you on this Bobby, to bad the Pedregons don't see that.

But... it does kind of remind me of the abusive husband who's all apologetic the next day.

I would agree, I think the classy thing for the Pedregon's at this point is to also offer an apology. Will it happen, who knows, but I hope so. I applaud John for being the bigger person and offer an apology. However, this still doesn't change my opinion of what we saw on the track.

I keep wondering why only one side can be right/wrong in this. It seems both camps have done some wrong and acted like fools here

I keep wondering why only one side can be right/wrong in this. It seems both camps have done some wrong and acted like fools here
There it is PJ.

It's wrong on all levels. When I read that I could just see John saying that. Peds need to do the same.

And Christopher.."reminds you of the abusive husband"?? Good grief..

The Peds knew exactly what they were doing.."on camera" to set this all in motion. And like the husband that abuses..John wasn't going to take the b!tch Tony saying the things he said..pfft

Quite the analogy.

Don't forget also that the Ped brothers stiffed the late Pat Foster some major $$$ for building them a replica of one of their fathers racecars, I'm sure Foster's widow could use the $$$ that the Ped's still owe.

The Ped's don't have any class.

Hmmm...never heard that one.

I would agree. For the record was Force ever quoted in saying he did not lose on purpose? I dont remember him saying those words or reading it in that story. I might think of believing him if he released that statement. He will never say he threw the race because of the rule... which is really the only way to prove he did it.

There's nothing for which the Pedregons need to apologize.
Force is the one who took a dive.
Tony and Cruz merely spoke their minds. Tony knows what goes on in that camp better than anybody.
Force got in Tony's face.
Force is the one who had to be restrained at the top end.
Force is the one who kept coming back to Tony.
Force is the one who acted the fool on the top end. He got called out and he didn't like.
And, to set the record straight, I'm no fan of any of the Pedregons. But, for reasons I won't go into here.

There's nothing for which the Pedregons need to apologize.
Force is the one who took a dive.
Tony and Cruz merely spoke their minds. Tony knows what goes on in that camp better than anybody.
Force got in Tony's face.
Force is the one who had to be restrained at the top end.
Force is the one who kept coming back to Tony.
Force is the one who acted the fool on the top end. He got called out and he didn't like.
And, to set the record straight, I'm no fan of any of the Pedregons. But, for reasons I won't go into here.
Force is the one who took a dive. True
Tony and Cruz merely spoke their minds. Tony knows what goes on in that camp better than anybody. True..made sure it was on camera.
Force is the one who had to be restrained at the top end. True..but if being called a cheater and a cripple (debatable) on national tv doesn't get your peeter hard..what will?
Force is the one who kept coming back to Tony. See above.
Force is the one who acted the fool on the top end. He got called out and he didn't like. Duh..Tony didn't mind it when the shoe was on his foot? And lets see what happens if Tony races Cruz when sh!t is on the line from now on.

I wish Force would have just given them the smile. But Tony and Cruz knew that wouldn't happen by saying what tjhey did. They knew there would be a response. If only John would have maintained his cool. Now that we'll never know.

Don't forget also that the Ped brothers stiffed the late Pat Foster some major $$$ for building them a replica of one of their fathers racecars, I'm sure Foster's widow could use the $$$ that the Ped's still owe.

The Ped's don't have any class.

Has anyone even asked the peds there side of this? I doubt you have.. What makes you the authority..Why if your so worried about it havnt you said anything sooner... I got the answer for that ..Your just repeating what you read in a post at classic.. If your sooo worried about it and think they have no class why would you post that here but not make a single reply to the thread where you stole the info from???

As some of you may know, I have been writing post-race columns for John Force Racing for the past few years. I am under no obligation to anyone as to what I write, how I write it, or how candid I choose to be on any topic. This was written on Monday evening after the race and will be posted on John's website soon. I saw this thread and I felt I needed to post my column here, right from the original document which was sent to John's webmaster.

BILL STEPHENS “IN THE GROOVE” 9/8/09

I’m not sure I know where to begin.

John Force Racing got everything it wanted at the biggest race of the year. Robert made it into the Countdown to 1, Ashley won in an all-JFR final round for the second time in her career (the first time was in her first Indy start in her Top Alcohol Dragster), and JFR can now look forward to the playoffs with all four team drivers in the mix.

They also got something they didn’t want. A dust-up with the Pedregon brothers, primarily Tony.

John has always told me that I have complete and unquestioned freedom to write anything I would like in all of my “In the Groove” columns. He has never asked me to avoid an issue, toe the company line, or trade my objectivity for political correctness.

However, as I sit down to piece together my thoughts after watching the events of the day unfold following Robert’s victory over John in the semi-finals, I know if John were sitting next to me right at this moment, he would encourage me not to rehash the emotionally-charged episode which took place this afternoon at O’Reilly Raceway Park.

And I’m in full agreement.

Instead, I want to share just a very brief, but I think important, aspect of John Force’s personality. It’s a quality I have always found admirable—along with many others—that separates him from most other successful professional racers, not only in the NHRA but in just about every pro motorsport there is.

Whenever John is involved in any kind of disagreement, difference of opinion, controversy or argument, as soon as the moment passes and the emotional temperatures return back to normal, he is the first—let me repeat—THE FIRST person to offer an apology, extend the olive branch, and attempt to make amends no matter whether he feels he was right or he was wrong.

I could give you numerous examples of that, dating back to the early years of the ESPN television contract which formally began in 2001. Sometimes, our TV coverage would include some information that John felt might be incorrect or irrelevant to our storylines. He would sometimes confront me or another ESPN team member and point out in no uncertain terms how off-base he felt we were or how we should have talked to him before airing the information. John would be emphatic, agitated, and ramped up, but never abusive or beyond reason. Once he had assertively made his points, he would jump on his scooter and drive away.

Then, no more than a half-hour later, he would come back and try to find whomever he had taken to task 30-minutes earlier and profusely apologize for his lecture, seeming as if he felt he had done something dreadfully wrong. That takes a special kind of character, especially for someone as famous, successful, and universally beloved as John is. I admire John for a host of reasons but that particular desire of his to avoid creating an enemy or offending someone with whom he’s had an issue is one I especially respect.

I would be wholeheartedly shocked if John hasn’t already extended an apology to Tony and/or Cruz about what happened today and I can almost guarantee that, knowing Tony and Cruz as well as I do, the Pedregons have accepted John’s conciliatory overtures.

While some may say John is just trying to maintain his image of the “good guy”, I can say without fear of contradiction that it goes much deeper than that. John has never forgotten his roots, his long struggle climbing the ladder of success, and how he has been blessed in so many ways when so many others have not. That has given him an honesty and humility that’s rare to find among individuals who have made it to the top. John is a “good guy”, not because there’s something in it for him, but because it’s the only way he knows how to be.

This has turned into quite a testimonial for Mr. Force and it really wasn’t intended to be. This year’s U.S. Nationals was a fabulous event which provided an almost endless array of memorable stories and unforgettable moments—in every class. Tony Schumacher ties “Big Daddy” Don Garlits with his eighth career U.S. Nationals Top Fuel win: Jeg Coughlin Jr. wins Pro Stock after beating No. 1 qualifier and notorious “leaver” Mike Edwards in the semi-finals—when Edwards fouls out! And after years of trying, Hector Arana finally wins the U.S. Nationals with such heavyweight favorites as Andrew Hines, Matt Smith, Eddie Krawiec, and Craig Treble falling by the wayside. What a weekend!

Next stop, Charlotte in two weeks as the Countdown to 1 begins and the NHRA treats everyone to FOUR fuel cars running down the Z-Max quarter-mile side-by-side in a special exhibition! That won’t just be cool; that will be below zero!

As always, I’ll have more from “In the Groove” right after the race so I hope you’ll be back then!

And Christopher.."reminds you of the abusive husband"?? Good grief..

What I meant was John's apology sounded like all those people (Chris Brown, for example) who are deeply apologetic after behaving like an idiot. It's not like it's the first time John's blown up and been ever so sorry afterward (think the Beard incident).

Look, no one goes without blame here. I'm neither a Force hater or lover. But as I said before, my problem with this whole thing is not the dive, nor the indignation shown about it. My problem is when things got physical.

What I meant was John's apology sounded like all those people (Chris Brown, for example) who are deeply apologetic after behaving like an idiot. It's not like it's the first time John's blown up and been ever so sorry afterward (think the Beard incident).

Look, no one goes without blame here. I'm neither a Force hater or lover. But as I said before, my problem with this whole thing is not the dive, nor the indignation shown about it. My problem is when things got physical.
Damn Chris, have you ever lost your temper and regreted your actions??? I'm willing to bet you have. I'm also willing to bet that you felt like chit and couldn't apologize enough. I am also willing to bet that I could post in 5 or 6 threads and antagonize you to the point of getting so PO's enough to strike back..........or should I just go dig up some of your previous posts? Get off your flippin' high horse:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Damn Chris, have you ever lost your temper and regreted your actions??? I'm willing to bet you have. I'm also willing to bet that you felt like chit and couldn't apologize enough. I am also willing to bet that I could post in 5 or 6 threads and antagonize you to the point of getting so PO's enough to strike back..........or should I just go dig up some of your previous posts? Get off your flippin' high horse:rolleyes:

Sure I've been pissed, but I've never struck anyone in anger. At least not since age 12.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back