uphill shutdown areas (1 Viewer)

NHRAMike

Nitro Member
I've read on another thread elsewhere about how well the uphill shutdown area at Bandimere and at the Strip at Las Vegas area works. As of now, Z-Max dragway in Charlotte and the supposed relocation of the dragstrip in Seattle are the only tracks that are under construction. Since these are both works in process, wouldn't it be a good idea to make the shutdown area into a much steeper uphill grade than the plans currently are?
If this would work better for slowing the cars down after the finish line then other tracks could look at what it takes to do this in the future.

I've read on another thread elsewhere about how well the uphill shutdown area at Bandimere and at the Strip at Las Vegas area works. As of now, Z-Max dragway in Charlotte and the supposed relocation of the dragstrip in Seattle are the only tracks that are under construction. Since these are both works in process, wouldn't it be a good idea to make the shutdown area into a much steeper uphill grade than the plans currently are?
If this would work better for slowing the cars down after the finish line then other tracks could look at what it takes to do this in the future.

Uphill shutdown areas have several disadvantages which outweigh any additional stopping they may provide.

a. when long wheelbase car goes into the transition region it tends to compress the frame. In a non suspended dragster this can cause bouncing which is not conducive to stopping. This of course depends on the change in grade at the transition point. I have actually had this happen to me at a track with an uphill shutdown area. If you weren't somewhat slowed down before the transition you were in for an exciting ride.

b. In areas of the country where it rains a fair amount an uphill shutdown area just pours additional water on the racing surface when it runs down hill towards the finish line. This makes for exceptional long delays after a shower. This is a problem with drag strips since they are built with a really minimum road crown so the water tends to run straight down the track.

There are a few other minor problems mostly to do with construction. The tracks which have uphill shutdown areas have them because that was the lay of the land at the time of construction and it was easier to just go uphill than flatten the landscape. Making a hill is a expensive proposition and it has to be a long hill as if you are not slowed down by the time you reach the crest the car will go airborne. I've seen this happen also at the above mentioned track.

Uphill shutdown areas have several disadvantages which outweigh any additional stopping they may provide.

a. when long wheelbase car goes into the transition region it tends to compress the frame. In a non suspended dragster this can cause bouncing which is not conducive to stopping. This of course depends on the change in grade at the transition point. I have actually had this happen to me at a track with an uphill shutdown area. If you weren't somewhat slowed down before the transition you were in for an exciting ride.

b. In areas of the country where it rains a fair amount an uphill shutdown area just pours additional water on the racing surface when it runs down hill towards the finish line. This makes for exceptional long delays after a shower. This is a problem with drag strips since they are built with a really minimum road crown so the water tends to run straight down the track.

There are a few other minor problems mostly to do with construction. The tracks which have uphill shutdown areas have them because that was the lay of the land at the time of construction and it was easier to just go uphill than flatten the landscape. Making a hill is a expensive proposition and it has to be a long hill as if you are not slowed down by the time you reach the crest the car will go airborne. I've seen this happen also at the above mentioned track.
Good points Ron..but

I would think with a good gradual design things would work. Not anywhere near 30%..and it doesn't take much of an incline to slow progress. It's a workable deal..but the expense on existing tracks would be out there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back