Pro Mod Parity Adjustment (1 Viewer)

I can guarantee the three nitrous teams in NHRA are working their tails off and getting everything they can from the combo. I think the nitrous cars bring a lot of excitement to the class, especially to the fans that have followed PM from the early days. I would hate to see PM loose a segment of cars, the engine combo's and body styles are a huge part of the appeal.

I can agree with what you are saying but the other teams are being punished for going faster. Remember what happened in the 70's when no one could run with the Hemis, they were factored out and we basically lost Mopar from racing for a lot of years, NHRA and Nascar. So, will blower/turbo car owners get frustrated that they really are the fastest but can not be because of the rules? This is a very tricky subject with no good answer. Look at all the griping in PS motorcycle.

Personally I really enjoy Pro Mod because of the diversity of the class.

I think any time you have multiple combos that can be regulated with +- 50 lbs, you are in the ball park. One thing to keep in mind the nitrous guys are at their limit. They already have astronomical CI engines, EFI and spray an S-Ton of nitrous. However, the blower and turbo guys still have plenty of available technology that would instantly increase performance. Just look at the outlaw pro mod scene, those guys are using screw blowers and larger turbos than what is currently allowed in NHRA. If either turbo or blower combos were falling behind, they could use bolt parts to pick up a a lot performance.
Another point to consider, these cars are on the verge of being to damn fast! A suspended door car going 250+ in the 1/4 is down right nuts! So, while I am not a big fan of restrictions in a professional category, we do have to keep safety in mind. These cars are on the ragged edge each pass and we have seen what happens when it gets ugly.
Who knows what the right answer is and thanks goodness it is not up to me to figure it out. I just dont want to see this class be the next one in line to die with one combo and look a like bodies. As for PSM, thats a whole different can of worms!

See I learned something today. So, nitrous cars are at their limit and the blower /turbo cars are cruising along, so to say, with a lot more potential. I did not know this. Definitely changes my thoughts on this................

To my knowledge, the only thing that would have an immediate performance impact on the nitrous cars is going to a lockup converter. I pray to the NHRA gods that it will never happen, real race cars have clutches! The blower and turbo guys are getting everything they can from the current NHRA specs, but as mentioned there is technology currently available for both platforms to instantly make them quicker and faster. I really hope Pro Mod can keep close to the current program for years to come. NHRA has done a great job keeping the A/Fuel and TAD class in check and it makes a lot more exciting having multiple combos in heads up racing. Obviously any time their is a performance adjustment, folks will have an opinion, but that is human nature.

I seem to remember PDRA allows traction control in it's classes. The Pro Nitrous cars might have that lock up converter, not sure. I have seen a number of Pro Nitrous cars do a big wheelie when the driver shifts & usually ends up with them getting out of shape, altho it puts on a show for the fans. Don't see that much with the NHRA cars. You could almost say that Pro Mod is the 2017 version of A/Gas Supercharged of the early 1960's, or maybe descended from that class. There were big crowds that would come to the drags to watch a 2 out of 3 with Stone-Woods & Cook VS Big John Mazmanian. It was the idea of a car that looked like something you could run on the street, yet was really fast. Pro Mod kinda has that same appeal today.

NHRA makes another adjustment, announced yesterday....

Nitrous assisted entries
Minimum weight from 2,475 pounds to 2,425 pounds

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back