Just a couple of dollars! (1 Viewer)

well financially speaking, josh hart came away the big winner in that round......yikes, what a nice welcoming gift for the new owner :oops:
i saw the $2500 to campbell couple days ago, plus the 6 others from topeka. i don't recall seeing so much of this in the past?
if teams that don't have a perfect 'turn-a-round' in the pits start to pull-out in fear of fines, pretty soon you'll have short fields to start Q, and even shorter by sunday :rolleyes:
good thing i didn't get caught with my beer in the stands.

Tony Schumacher was fined $10,000 for driving a vehicle that had two disabled safety systems, and an additional $10,000 for bypassing a performance restriction device

Tony keeps the win with an illegal car. But JR got tossed for one header violation? If the header was a performance adder, how is bypassing a performance restriction device not in the same category.

Tony Schumacher was fined $10,000 for driving a vehicle that had two disabled safety systems, and an additional $10,000 for bypassing a performance restriction device

Tony keeps the win with an illegal car. But JR got tossed for one header violation? If the header was a performance adder, how is bypassing a performance restriction device not in the same category.

Tony also was fined 50 points.

Why is the driver Fined? When it was the crew chief or anther team member that made the violation. Never has made sense to me.

Why is the driver Fined? When it was the crew chief or anther team member that made the violation. Never has made sense to me.
They always just put the driver's name for simplicity's sake, whether it's NHRA, NASCAR, World of Outlaws, whatever. But in reality, it's not coming out of the driver's personal bank account

The driver points represent the team, ie TS collects the points under his name, but is part of an overall team

Regardless of who writes the check it is the drivers responsability to make sure the safety stuff is correct before getting strapped into the car. The driver normally packs his/her own chute(s) and mixes the fuel. I don't know of any who don't check out things before climbing into the car. Its their A$$ in the seat. Anyone who would send a driver down the track without telling them of a known problem should be banned from racing forever.

Last edited:
Roger, I think you are way overreacting. My next statement is solely based on a team member's statement before the run and I have no idea what did or didn't happen. It was said they were going old school. Going old school to me means the mags were plugged directly in and the ignition system was not run through the triggers and timing box. As a competitor that has had ignition system issues several times now. This new msd grid is very sensitive and very easily won't work properly. The previous 8973 timing system was much better than this new one and didn't have the issues this grid system has. I am not saying that was the issue they could have had something else troubling them. If that did what was done was override the rev limiter and timing control. Which was going to be a moot point anyways since the ignition wasn't going to have timing pulled out of it like all these cars have at the step and it was going to lose traction. I will say that happened a lot later in the run than I thought it would occur. If this was the situation I think this needs to be a situational decision. If a competitor was doing this all the time at multiple races yes it's a problem. If it was done once like in this situation it is fine. At the end of the day, this is a show for the fans. Because the other alternative would have been a no-show and a single. It isn't like there was a major safety issue where life was at risk any greater than when we strap into these cars when everything is perfect.

There was/is a precedent for DQing Tony as soon as it was found - it was/is a safety violation and should have been dealt with in the same manner as lesser safety infractions were. Look at the last two events not just the pros but sportsman racers as well there were several DQ'd. Did NHRA not DQ Tony because he's a former champion, because his last name is Shoe or because of ? It wasn't a mistake it was a calculated safety violation!

Kyle,

Not arguing, just discussing. I have not talked to anyone but believe that your assessment is correct. However I don't believe that you can let it go under the circumstances. Would you want to send the message that: "If you are running behind, you don't need to bother with all the safety equipment"?

Alan

The cars have too much safety stuff, too much power, too much speed, wayyy to much cost. This Top fuel/funny car stuff is getting way out of hand. They are already complaining about run off again. They are getting out of touch with the fan base and out of control cost wise. These categories need wholesale changes soon. We need a next gen car with next gen thinking. Won’t be long before we have to watch eight mile only. It’s truly sad to see zero effort being made to correct these issues.

Not saying that this was the cause of Tony's issue but this strict XX minute turn time around just to satisfy the TV production schedule needs to be changed. I saw this coming as soon as they instituted the XX minute turn around to satisfy the TV production.

These crews are good but it takes just one time to overlook something (it happens to all of us) and disaster can happen. Maybe it's time for the racers to protest this strict time limit. "Give us more time or find other TF and FC racers for your race."

I do agree rules are rules and they need to be followed and enforced. You all are correct!

What should have happened is an inspection after the Q2 run to understand what the issue was. Then Josh should have been awarded the points and advancement in the round. Look at his points position compared to the two below him and the difference that would make. What has happened now doesn’t help him. If it’s going to be inforced do it when it matters.

I do believe there is a difference between intentionally disarming a safety system or ignoring one for a performance advantage so a run won’t get shut off vs this situation. For example the pan pressure switch. You can’t tell me it hasn’t been adjusted or bypassed when the run/round really mattered.

Thanks for discussion and I respect everyone’s differences in opinions. I just believe occasionally not everything is black and white.

John,

According to DRC Funny Car E1 was at 13:06 and Tony was 7th pair, so he ran a couple of minutes before that. TF E2 was 14:36 that's 90+ minutes they had. And yes, it is a bit longer tow back than some of the tracks, but this isn't a case where they were under the gun. This was full turn around time.

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back