Pro Mod Parity Adjustment (1 Viewer)

Yes, yer right, I forgot the old P/S rules. Also TAD doesn't work. Ya can't run apples vs oranges.
The last year I raced (TAFC 1981) there was discussion of TAD and TAFC going to 500" engines in the near future (TF & FC was already there, and PS was going to start in 1982) but it never came to pass.

NHRA Technical Department Makes Parity Adjustment to NHRA J&A Service Pro Mod Drag Racing Series

Based on performance numbers from the first four races of the NHRA J&A Service Pro Mod Racing Series, the NHRA Technical Department is reducing the maximum allowable overdrive limit on Supercharged entries from 20 percent to 16.5 percent. This rule change will go into effect immediately.

Glen Gray
NHRA
Vice President Technical Operations

In other words, "Frank Manzo, you are too talented of a tuner and you must be punished." I get it, the supercharged cars have been pretty dominant of late.

Last edited:
Frank is the man, but Eric Latino ran 5.72 recently, so maybe all the blown cars have upped their game.

NHRA Technical Department Makes Parity Adjustment to NHRA J&A Service Pro Mod Drag Racing Series

Based on performance numbers from the first four races of the NHRA J&A Service Pro Mod Racing Series, the NHRA Technical Department is reducing the maximum allowable overdrive limit on Supercharged entries from 20 percent to 16.5 percent. This rule change will go into effect immediately.

Glen Gray
NHRA
Vice President Technical Operations
Wow...3.5% off the blower...wowza.

so like in America, instead of having others step up to be the best
we will lower the standards for the ones that can not keep up

its either 'lower the standards' for the others or the others have to spend an enormous amount of time and money to catch-up and the problem with that is, eventually pro mod will end up like pro stock with only 12 cars showing up!! because, like pro stock, there is very little return for your investment!

its either 'lower the standards' for the others or the others have to spend an enormous amount of time and money to catch-up and the problem with that is, eventually pro mod will end up like pro stock with only 12 cars showing up!! because, like pro stock, there is very little return for your investment!
Pro Stock races NHRA National events only. Pro Mod races multiple sanctions. There really aren't many things that are comparable between the two other than they are all door cars.

How much of a difference is there between 1/8 mile set up and 1/4 mile? I notice that the PDRA cars run quicker in the 1/8 as compared to the same class running 1/4 mile. I look at the 1/8 mile times when a 1/4 mile car makes a run. Would that be because of gear ratios, or maybe PDRA cars weigh less?

Billy Stocklin said this over on "Yellowbullett" :

" So, nitrous cars are 2 tenths slow compared to the outlaw cars. No where do you have to be 908 other than nhra and the nitrous cars are killing engines to try and be competitive. They have 100k engines that are good for nothing but nhra.

The turbo and blower cars all run badass stuff, just w limits. Why hasn't anyone suggested allowing 960" engines? And if they are too fast, just give them some regulations. Very few nitrous cars have 908's compared to cars w 940/948/960s. They show to be substantially more powerful.

If you just limit the other combos, the nitrous cars will continue to blow stuff apart to keep up. They need help, not slow the others."

Billy Stocklin said this over on "Yellowbullett" :

" So, nitrous cars are 2 tenths slow compared to the outlaw cars. No where do you have to be 908 other than nhra and the nitrous cars are killing engines to try and be competitive. They have 100k engines that are good for nothing but nhra.

The turbo and blower cars all run badass stuff, just w limits. Why hasn't anyone suggested allowing 960" engines? And if they are too fast, just give them some regulations. Very few nitrous cars have 908's compared to cars w 940/948/960s. They show to be substantially more powerful.

If you just limit the other combos, the nitrous cars will continue to blow stuff apart to keep up. They need help, not slow the others."

Maybe NHRA nitrous cars could run alcohol? Dunno what to think about that, cuz it's apples & oranges. Wish NHRA would do like PDRA & run separate P/M classes. I know that PDRA set a limit for nitrous cars at 960 CI, altho I wonder why they didn't just raise the limit to 1000 CI & be done with it.

maybe the evolution of the class has "outgrown" nitrous combos. There has to be a point where technology wins out , otherwise we would still have carbs and 9 inch slicks made from "plastic". .

That is the one tricky thing about keeping parity in a class with multiple combos; over time things gravitate to the most efficient combination. That's what killed Pro Comp, which had a wild number of different cars/combos. With modern day PM, I think the parity overall has been good, with the occasional tweaks. Splitting the cars up like a PDRA format would kill the appeal at NHRA races, IMO.

Scott Palmer has a 53 Studebaker Pro Mod with a Top Fuel engine in it. Saw a video of him making a check out pass with it. Don't think it has run in eliminations anywhere.

so like in America, instead of having others step up to be the best
we will lower the standards for the ones that can not keep up

I can guarantee the three nitrous teams in NHRA are working their tails off and getting everything they can from the combo. I think the nitrous cars bring a lot of excitement to the class, especially to the fans that have followed PM from the early days. I would hate to see PM loose a segment of cars, the engine combo's and body styles are a huge part of the appeal.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back