Latest Fines (1 Viewer)

They didnt disclose what the fines were for so how can anyone comment? This is like saying someone got a traffic ticket and got fined.

A while back the alcohol guys were getting fined for blower end plate modifications. As I recall the modification was minor but the rules said you couldnt modify it.

That pretty much dashes any hope of seeing the likes of Dale Armstrong, Don Garlits or Austin Coil ever again involved in fuel racing. Can Allen Johnson be far behind?

You know what's crazy about this. We are now in the age where anyone with a good idea and the initiative to learn SolidWorks or Catia can make anything relatively inexpensively. Innovation has never been so democratic. And what do we do, make everything spec.

Stepford Wives racing ain't for me.

I don't think there has been a time when as much innovation and thinking outside the box by so many has taken place as is being done right now. The better funded teams have the experts and are using the computer aids to develop new ideas while the "indys" are just trying to keep everything together and get to the next event. And if you believe this computer innovation is cheap, I would like to know your definition of expensive.

Who would ever have imagined that a 500 cu in nitro motor would be turning 8900 rpm at the hit, using 3/16" wide primary fingers and running on them for up to 2 seconds before they throw the whole clutch at it to get the rpm down under the limiter in time. And there are stops on just about every finger so that they can control that rpm to the finish line. Areas with significant recent development include, but not limited to, heads, blowers, injectors, management/control/recording systems, clutches, bodies, wings, and cockpits. All those increasing speeds at the 1/8th mile and 1,000' marks don't just happen along with the decreasing ETs.

There was good reason to quickly cover that damaged injector, a lot of top secret development work has been done to create the specific shapes and airways inside. You don't think they went to a four hole injector just so they could get the whole ARMY lettering on it, did you?

NHRA is in a battle trying to curb the costs and performance gains, and they are losing.

They are losing, and as has been posted, it's hard to have it all. Actually, it's impossible to keep breaking performance barriers, run 1320, keep fuel cars "unlimited" so there's continued innovation, keep the oil off the track, protect the drivers, AND, do it all so affordably that we see an influx of new teams and sponsors. Virgil, I'm curious, as an insider, what are your thoughts regarding these topics? Meaning the "show", 1320, slowing down cars and controlling costs, etc.? It seems it's time for some massive overhauls. Would you ratchet everything back to a nostalgia-type combo and start everything over? I don't know what the answer is, and it's tough to address all of these issues.

Look at the events that are most successful in drawing spectators, and you will see the common denominator, put on a compact show with maximum entertainment value. This goes for everything from stick/ball sports, theater to auto competition.

The big question is how do you do this and keep the order in the many classes involved in drag racing. And is drag racing basically a participant sport (race to win) or a spectator drawing event (show)? My perception is the most popular participant classes are the index classes, where the biggest spectator draw is the nitro classes.

I believe a radical change is needed to make it more spectator friendly (popular), but I am not spending my time or risking my money in promoting the overall sport (NHRA is mostly) so it doesn't matter what I think.

IHRA stepped up and made radical changes to their events. They are drawing bigger crowds at the venues they run at, but the physical plants are smaller than the NHRA facilities. And I think their most profitable shows are at the local smaller venues (Thunder Jams instead of points type meets).

Basically, you have NHRA's program and if you participate within, you find ways to give your team the edge to win and fines will just be part of the R&D costs to push the envelope.

DSR.....$100,000
JFR.....$10,000........CHUMP CHANGE....
A lot of difference... for FOUR cars !!:eek:

DSR....$100,000 for a sponsorship violation (VP Race Fuels) it was still nitro...

JFR.....$10,000 for modification of an NHRA approved performance enhancement in the fuel system (willful violation)

Tasca..$2,500 for modification of an NHRA approved performance enhancement in the fuel system (willful violation)

Fines are fine, but do they fix the problem?

Agreed....on all points.

And thus, the conundrum.

You want the NHRA to slow the cars down so they're safer and we can go back to 1/4 mile racing and the Indys have a chance against the juggernaughts.

Then when something like his happens, the P & M brigade shows up in full force bemoaning the lack of freedom & declaring the end of civilization as we know it.

Ya can't have it both ways guys.

If you want the unrestrained free for all of old, then extend all of the shut down areas by 2,000 feet or more, leave the strips where you can't do that behind, then prepare for a financial bloodbath as teams race to outspend each other.

Or slow them down and accept the fact that technical restrictions are here to stay and kwitcher &$?@#ing.

Your choice.

DSR....$100,000 for a sponsorship violation (VP Race Fuels) it was still nitro...

JFR.....$10,000 for modification of an NHRA approved performance enhancement in the fuel system (willful violation)

Tasca..$2,500 for modification of an NHRA approved performance enhancement in the fuel system (willful violation)

Fines are fine, but do they fix the problem?

On the subject of fines...

How about the $5k fine on a sportsman racer for merely putting his hand on, not punching, slapping, or hitting, a top end worker("official" in their minds) who jammed that tire pushing machine into his car at E-Town, then damages it more by trying to rip it out. It was the second time it happened and they still owed him for the damage from the FIRST time they did it to him at Charlotte. So they arbitrarily levy a fine, take it off of the money they should be paying him, and give the rest to him in free entries. It all stinks of not owning up to just flat being wrong on their part.

What next...NHRA approved motors with seals to prevent tampering? Innovation and originality is a dying art because of the NHRA tech nazis...:(

Sure. When a TF or FC team comes to the track they pick up NHRA "approved" motor(s) to be used for the race. Then these are turned in at the conclusion of the race. Of course, a substantial fee would be charged for the motors.

Even the playing field. Even if no one likes it.

On the subject of fines...

How about the $5k fine on a sportsman racer for merely putting his hand on, not punching, slapping, or hitting, a top end worker("official" in their minds) who jammed that tire pushing machine into his car at E-Town, then damages it more by trying to rip it out. It was the second time it happened and they still owed him for the damage from the FIRST time they did it to him at Charlotte. So they arbitrarily levy a fine, take it off of the money they should be paying him, and give the rest to him in free entries. It all stinks of not owning up to just flat being wrong on their part.

So that's how it ended up, I thought they would give him a year off for protecting his property that they damaged.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back