Just a couple of dollars! (1 Viewer)

I still want to know why JR was dq'd and Alexis got reinstated (and the points) while the same didn't happen to TS and Josh............................. 🤷‍♂️

Seems like I remember Holden Laris being Dq in semi finals of top dragster .He told crew chief brakes were spongy on radio. They pumped up so he made the run but went in sand. Dq was for taking unsafe car down track. Crew even showed NHRA on their data logger car had 800 lbs of brake pressure when staged, just like prior runs.

I still want to know why JR was dq'd and Alexis got reinstated (and the points) while the same didn't happen to TS and Josh............................. 🤷‍♂️

I bet Tony wishes they had done that as well. I believe that Tony would have rather been tossed in the second round and kept the $20K I know I would.

THIS IS PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART.
I came straight to Bowling Green after Brainerd and have not spoken to anybody involved.
My thought is that J.R. failed a "Spot Check" that NHRA does regularly for various things (Like those fire bottle and parachute pin penalties last week) And in Tony's case it was a post race inspection. After the race is over, you can't re-run the the semis and the finals. But you can impose a monetary and point penalty. That is what was done.

Alan

Not saying that this was the cause of Tony's issue but this strict XX minute turn time around just to satisfy the TV production schedule needs to be changed. I saw this coming as soon as they instituted the XX minute turn around to satisfy the TV production.

These crews are good but it takes just one time to overlook something (it happens to all of us) and disaster can happen. Maybe it's time for the racers to protest this strict time limit. "Give us more time or find other TF and FC racers for your race."

I agree with your sentiments about TV interfering with how the finals are run, but it seems to me that the turnaround times have increased because of the TV consideration. It was my understanding that in previous years that 75 minutes was the turn-around time and now it's 90-120 minutes between rounds.

As one of our colleagues mentioned in another post, 30-40 minutes of nothing before the final pro rounds run at one event. And from the Indy scheduled posted for Monday, looks to be the same thing again (finals start at 10, should be over at 3, 330 at the latest barring no oildowns, etc). TV production is going to be a bad thing for this sport just as it has for college football, pro football, and baseball. The longer the event drags out (no pun intended) the more advertising the network can sell.

I agree with your sentiments about TV interfering with how the finals are run, but it seems to me that the turnaround times have increased because of the TV consideration. It was my understanding that in previous years that 75 minutes was the turn-around time and now it's 90-120 minutes between rounds.

As one of our colleagues mentioned in another post, 30-40 minutes of nothing before the final pro rounds run at one event. And from the Indy scheduled posted for Monday, looks to be the same thing again (finals start at 10, should be over at 3, 330 at the latest barring no oildowns, etc). TV production is going to be a bad thing for this sport just as it has for college football, pro football, and baseball. The longer the event drags out (no pun intended) the more advertising the network can sell.
Given the fact that these sports literally make the bulk of there money from tv, how is that bad for the sport? It's always a balancing act in regards to advertising, but ultimately these sports wouldn't be able to spend so much money on talent and infrastructure if it weren't for tv.

For NHRA exclusively, no TV would mean less sponsorship, brand awareness, outreach and the inability for the "entity" to be taken seriously compared to other sports/live action entertainment.

Given the fact that these sports literally make the bulk of there money from tv, how is that bad for the sport? It's always a balancing act in regards to advertising, but ultimately these sports wouldn't be able to spend so much money on talent and infrastructure if it weren't for tv.
Even if they’re the ones paying for airtime?

Based on what I'm reading here, that Schumacher's team (possibly might have) "gone old school" with the car's ignition system, bypassing the rev limiter (timing retard) in the process and NHRA discovered the violation during a post-race inspection, then NHRA did exactly what they should have done. If he'd won the race, they should have and likely would have DQ'd the win. It goes without saying the timing retard must not be tampered with and doing so represents both a safety hazard and a potential performance enhancer. Again, that's speculation as Alan has pointed out. I'm just saying IF that's what went down...I'd certainly have no way of knowing.

NASCAR recently stripped Denny Hamlin of his Pocono win for "extra material on the car's front fascia", a seemingly minor infraction - but rules are rules and the driver winds up being the bad guy whether or not he/she had any prior knowledge of the infraction.

I bet Tony wishes they had done that as well. I believe that Tony would have rather been tossed in the second round and kept the $20K I know I would.

THIS IS PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART.
I came straight to Bowling Green after Brainerd and have not spoken to anybody involved.
My thought is that J.R. failed a "Spot Check" that NHRA does regularly for various things (Like those fire bottle and parachute pin penalties last week) And in Tony's case it was a post race inspection. After the race is over, you can't re-run the the semis and the finals. But you can impose a monetary and point penalty. That is what was done.

Alan
I would think Tony's team fixed the issue with the car after E2 so if it was post race inspection how would they know? I guess we need the facts! We're all just guessing. (as usual)

For NHRA exclusively, no TV would mean less sponsorship, brand awareness, outreach and the inability for the "entity" to be taken seriously compared to other sports/live action entertainment.

Good for the sport and good for the fan are not always concepts aligned together. We've been lucky that our ticket prices haven't increased as these sports which have "benefitted" from the TV coverage/contracts have. And dragging out shows longer than need be means many people just leave earlier or tune out earlier.

Good for the sport and good for the fan are not always concepts aligned together. We've been lucky that our ticket prices haven't increased as these sports which have "benefitted" from the TV coverage/contracts have. And dragging out shows longer than need be means many people just leave earlier or tune out earlier.
I completely agree, but your original argument was in regards to the sport.

If every race sold out on the circuit and demand was at its peak, the prices would increase. Everyone always complains that the stands aren't full, but if they were, it would be better for the sport but not necessarily better for the fan.

I would think Tony's team fixed the issue with the car after E2 so if it was post race inspection how would they know? I guess we need the facts! We're all just guessing. (as usual)
I was thinking the same thing. Problem would have been fixxed "post race". They had to catch it after that run.................... lol

I was thinking the same thing. Problem would have been fixxed "post race". They had to catch it after that run.................... lol
they admitted it in the interviews after E2 didn't they? tony and phil both mentioned it i think. maybe that was proof enough.
maybe that's why it spun down track. probably had tuneup in it that is used to hitting the rev limiter, but then there was no rev limiter so it overpowered the track?

they admitted it in the interviews after E2 didn't they? tony and phil both mentioned it i think. maybe that was proof enough.
maybe that's why it spun down track. probably had tuneup in it that is used to hitting the rev limiter, but then there was no rev limiter so it overpowered the track?
You are absolutely right about self incrimination. I know I should leave it alone but, evidently (🤣🤣) I cannot. It is amazing how quickly J.R. was DQ.'d and Alexis' team was notified. (It was a quick turn around day and they were the last pair to run 1st round and the first pair to run second) compared to TS. They couldn't pull the trigger on TS until after the fact.............substantially. No justice for Josh. Goes to show no consistency in the application of rules..............none. If you want to take it a step further, the TS violations were significantly more egregious than a header slightly out of spec. and should have led to immediate disqualification. Soap box put back in its place...................

I completely agree, but your original argument was in regards to the sport.

If every race sold out on the circuit and demand was at its peak, the prices would increase. Everyone always complains that the stands aren't full, but if they were, it would be better for the sport but not necessarily better for the fan.
IF it is the case, if the expanded TV coverage is increasing revenue for the sport, then that would be good in terms of revenue but that doesn't mean it's better for the fan. For example, all television rights agreements now call for pre-set television timeouts during games in order for the sport's television partners to air as many commercials as possible. The effects momentum and the "game" goes on and on and on. Like someone mentioned in another post, people sat for 30-40 minutes to wait for the pro finals I don't think it's good for fans. Attendace drops, tv viewership suffers. And if a college bowl game has two eastern schools playing in a bowl that starts at 9 or 10 pm eastern time, on a work night, that's hardly good for fans either.

Granted I tend to see the TV issue via the lens of baseball and college football, so it may not really apply too much here, but I am skeptical that it's going to always be better for fans. One thing is certain across the board, they'll never lower ticket prices despite how much money the bring in. I think we're on the same page.

Here's an article. No word yet. He's hoping it's done and over with by the time Indy is done.

Read the last paragraph, I'd be more concerned with the spider bites.
Well isn't that pleasant. Guess I'm gonna have to check my helmet for venomous spiders every time I put it on from now on...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back