Lee Beard Out at DSR (1 Viewer)

Interesting. I remember one year at GNV (2005) I had a few decent conversations with Lee, this was before Bazemore won the race. He's a very nice guy, at least he was to me. Maybe the people who informed you had some bad experiences? :/

The one interaction my dad and I had with him was decent, some fans I talked to said he blew them off when trying to talk to him.

Bummed to see him go. :(
I hope it doesn't come back to bite in the ass. (losing Neff was a huge painful bite).

Last edited:
I'am glad Lee has come out and said why he is being let go so there are not endless rumors going around. The problem he has in getting a job is what posts 24 & 29 said - the economy is not good and almost everybody is cutting back so who is going to come up with the bucks it would take to get Lee. When you see DSR cutting back you know it's tough. They had plans to run 4 f/c's and 4 t/f cars next year. DSR runs at a $$$ profit, if it doesn't the Don does whatever it takes to keep the teams in the black. Lee has a lot of knowledge and experience but obviously the Don did not think that Lee's expertise was needed and he could save a substantial amount of money by letting him go.
Even Force is looking at his organization to see where he can cut back. His daughter will be in a F/C next year and he is still putting that deal together, he wants to run 4 f/c's next year. He mentioned that if he couldn't put together a sponsor for her he would step out of his car and have her drive it. I doubt that....he has 3 more years on his personal contract with Castrol & Ford. He does have a new McKenney T/F car for his other daughter and the plan is test it and get her some laps in after some races next year and if he can find a sponsor have her run it in the 2013 season. You have to remember that with Force this is a family business. Everyone is expendable except family members meaning him, Robert, and his girls. Everyone is expendable. The same does not work for DSR as the Don mentioned a few years ago when Tony was having some driving problems that if he didn't improve he would replace him. Everyone except the Don is expendable there, just ask Cory Mac.
There is a team that could probably use Lee and money is not an issue: Team Kalitta. Connie can spend whatever he wants and as long as you do it his way you are OK.

Lee has always been very nice to me at the track. I always ask about
Zack, as I was at the d3 @ 66 race where Zack ran a TAD, and did very well
if I remember. I don't remember whose car it was, but possibly Conways
or Randy Meyer's. Last Lee told me Zack was racing Karts in Europe and
doing well.
So, I too am a Beard fan. I'd like to see Beard and Bazemore togather again!

John

There is a team that could probably use Lee and money is not an issue: Team Kalitta. Connie can spend whatever he wants and as long as you do it his way you are OK.

He would never last there. As you noticed the Kalitta teams have been improving performance on their own means. Lee wants to help an up and coming star or a low budget team who can afford to run for it all try to run for it all. Which kinda makes no sense, but it's his words, the goals he wants depend on a newcomer finding great sponsorship and/or he wants to help a low budget team run for it all if they can afford him and the elements to run at the top. Key words Lee: Low Budget does not mean I can afford Lee Beard. His responses dont exactly make sense

After reading that, my vote would be he's over at Lucus next, or Capco Racing.

Lucas I 1000% disagree on, but capco racing, I think your on to something. That makes A LOT of sense seeing how Torrence has seemed to put together an excellent sponsorship while aquiring all the right parts and pieces it takes to make a title run. The kid in his interviews makes it sound like money is NOT a problem.

Interesting. I remember one year at GNV (2005) I had a few decent conversations with Lee, this was before Bazemore won the race. He's a very nice guy, at least he was to me. Maybe the people who informed you had some bad experiences? :/
Three of us sat at a table next to Beard and his party of ten or so at Saltys at Redondo in Seattle, Sat night after qualifying, and I can say he wasvery cool to talk with. He was tuning for Fuller at the time. I`d like to know how much his bill came to, cause ours was over $300. Nice experience the one time I`ve been around him.

The whole Beard "niceness" thing is exactly what people think about Neff or AJ. They are both extremely nice people, but did the people who say he blew me off try to talk to the when their in the thick of it. It's like the Warren Johnson Policy. You don't try to talk to them until their day is over. Warren is a nice guy, he just makes it known that he will not give you time during his work day.

Lee has always been very nice to me at the track. I always ask about
Zack, as I was at the d3 @ 66 race where Zack ran a TAD, and did very well
if I remember. I don't remember whose car it was, but possibly Conways
or Randy Meyer's. Last Lee told me Zack was racing Karts in Europe and
doing well.
So, I too am a Beard fan. I'd like to see Beard and Bazemore togather again!

John

It was Randy Meyer. Randy had a short term deal with Dunkin Donuts and Diana Harder was also driving on the team during that time.

With a lot of help from AJ!

All I am aware of that AJ helps with (he even said he would help anyone) he just points them in the right direction, he does not actually give them a tune up or work hand in hand to develop one. It's mainly known he is said to just tell a team if there running the car right. As far as your capco response just because it's family owned does not mean that the kid does not have to work for it. He obviously demonstrates that he's being wise with putting together a team and his family believes in him.

All I am aware of that AJ helps with (he even said he would help anyone) he just points them in the right direction, he does not actually give them a tune up or work hand in hand to develop one. It's mainly known he is said to just tell a team if there running the car right. As far as your capco response just because it's family owned does not mean that the kid does not have to work for it. He obviously demonstrates that he's being wise with putting together a team and his family believes in him.

AJ's collaboration with Kalitta is different, but you know everything, so I shouldn't have bothered. As for Capco, I figured you'd have a response for that as well....whatever "demonstrates that he's being wise putting together a team" means, LOL!

Carry on with your babbling....

Lucas I 1000% disagree on, but capco racing, I think your on to something. That makes A LOT of sense seeing how Torrence has seemed to put together an excellent sponsorship while aquiring all the right parts and pieces it takes to make a title run. The kid in his interviews makes it sound like money is NOT a problem.

Torrence has a very capable tuner in his arsenal in Richard Hogan, who I still rate highly as a crew chief, I guess that is why Steve got him on the payroll.

AJ's collaboration with Kalitta is different, but you know everything, so I shouldn't have bothered. As for Capco, I figured you'd have a response for that as well....whatever "demonstrates that he's being wise putting together a team" means, LOL!

I get it...you don't like me and have not for months, but do you constantly have to be a wise ass to me? Grow up! I never said I knew everything it's just your perception ALWAYS that I ALWAYS say I do, geez what a liar you are. I'm just quoting what has been said on mater before and ESPN 2 so go take your wonderful attitude elsewhere.

As far as an answer to demonstrates that he's being wise putting a together a team," have you not watched the racing or follow on the net how he worked with AJ and Force aquiring parts and pieces and renting space? It implies that he has been doing it correctly as it's common sense, I don't think his family would give him money to put together a half assed team, he has been working hard on it. THAT'S WHAT IT MEANS. Done bashing me yet Michael?

Last edited:

There seems to be a running theme in all of these threads lately..................;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back