Beard Released from CPR (1 Viewer)

I'm sure Danny DeGennaro would like a little of that credit as well.

Cruz rarely ever gave him any. If you read almost every 2011 team interview, especially after a win, it's was easy to predict what he was gonna say. Win = I did some great tuning and I got the win. Lose = "WE" didn't do so well. "WE" have to make better calls. My point perfectly complements what Beard said and I even made this point on here long before this.

Last edited:
All of this makes me wonder what Lee Beard's career would've looked like had the Good Lord not taken Gary Ormsby from us all way too soon... That team had the potential of being Top Fuel's version of John Force & Austin Coil in the 90's - and they shared the same sponsor. Sadly, we'll never know.

I'm sure Lee will land on his feet somewhere & I am thankful for his politically incorrect statement from the heart - I, like many of you, grow tired of the cliche's and gift wrapped standard answers to questions like the one he was asked. Cruz is a big boy, he can handle it.

Lastly, if memory serves me correctly, - and I'm sure one of you will point it out if I'm mistaken - Cruz owes at least some credit to Lee for his first World Championship while driving the McDonald's Flopper. I believe Lee was wrenching on the McDonald's Digger and offered tune-up advice on Cruzer's car right before he went on a five race tear to rip the title away from Force.

Last edited:
The fact that Lee had a hand in the 92 title already was made. I see what your saying with Beard/Ormsby, but remember Alan Johnson was just starting to severely dominate TAD and once he stepped up to TF I really do not think Alan's career as a tuner would of been any different. I don't think anyone is better at understanding the dragster tuneup in any weather better than Alan. Any track, Any condition, he's still going to make a damn good pass.

I was somewhat surprised he allowed that quote to go out. I mean, what real purpose did it serve except to create ill-will? :confused:

When my sons were getting ready to enter the workforce, one of my pricipal pieces of advice was to never, no matter how distasteful or hard to work for a place or a boss was, NEVER, EVER speak ill of them. In other words, NEVER burn your bridges. You just never know if you'll need to use them again. If you start ripping the person or company you used to work for after you leave them, those words just may very well come back to haunt you later. A future employer just may think twice about hiring you if they think you'll just rip them when you leave. Especially to the press.

With all due respect to him, Lee knew where the door was. He could have used it if he didn't like the way Cruz was running things. I'm thinking when he's talking with the next prospective team, they'll have that statement in the back of their mind, all the while thinking "what's he gonna say to the press if WE don't see eye to eye on things???"

Last edited:
All of this makes me wonder what Lee Beard's career would've looked like had the Good Lord not taken Gary Ormsby from us all way too soon... That team had the potential of being Top Fuel's version of John Force & Austin Coil in the 90's - and they shared the same sponsor. Sadly, we'll never know.

You got that right!:)

Except that he was just saying what everyone is obviously too afraid to say, that Cruz has an ego the size of a Mac truck. ;)

I think it takes a huge ego just to get into one of these cars and hold the pedal down and I also think it helps your overall chances of success.

So I don't begrudge Cruz for having this characteristic, its a common one for anyone who has won a championship in any sport.

One of the teams that certainly could afford Lee is Rapisarda Racing. They certainly have the money to afford him and Lee could lead them into being a major contender.
That would be fun to see.

I don't think Lee has any reason to fear for future employment given his comments regarding Cruz. Both Cruz and Lee are known quantities at this point, they both have been around forever and everyone in the paddock know what they are about. If someone thinks Lee can help them win, they will hire him.

As an aside about general business, if you go in thinking about the end game, rather than what can be accomplished collaboratively, the partnership is probably doomed to fail anyway.

One of the teams that certainly could afford Lee is Rapisarda Racing. They certainly have the money to afford him and Lee could lead them into being a major contender.
That would be fun to see.

It would be interesting to say the least to see how Beard would fit in with that group. I think Santos boys are diving in feet first as far as tuning goes. Although I did see Todd Okuhara in their pit a lot at the Finals

I'm just glad Lee Beard is okay. I saw the thread title "Beard and CPR" and thought the worst. Yikes!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back