Beard Discusses Vegas (1 Viewer)

Friggin crystal ball... still trying to have it give me the Super Bowl results... :D ;)

...As we get closer to the end of the season and the nitro tuners start screwing around with that "999 foot" tuneup to squeeze out that win from all this "close racing", it is inevitable, since they havent had to win without that extra 320 feet, that some guys are gonna miss the trick and the fireballs will come earlier.

Alan- I know you've spoken with AJ, and know his tuneup is probably similar to his 1320 one, but the fact that the car is already running at 315+ makes me wonder: Is there more to come once the rest of the pack figures out how to make a race close for the kid? And if there is, at what point does mechanical/ structural failure come back into play, especially for some of the less technically equiped teams that may make the Countdown?

They obviously thought that they would be safer at a 1000' because they wouldn't be going as fast or blowing up so much- the speed thing has been blown out of the water already by a couple of teams, so the premise of them being safer because they are slower is now moot, as the potential for AJ to have the car at 320mph by Dallas is not out of the question, and you cant tell me that 15mph is going to make that huge a difference in the event of something going horribly wrong. And as they start to run harder to the Chase, the other lesser funded teams will have to decide whether to stay home or keep up, whether they know how to or not and the boomers can occur WAY sooner..

From August 10, 2008...

Now Lee, go put your car in the Pomona winner's circle, will ya?? :)

I'm curious if the Tune-up on Friday's Oildown session prompted changes, what caused the second on Saturday? I'm beginning to think that all the Fresh parts are going to Fuller's Car, while testing and used equipment are ending up on Brown's car.

so if the matco car is the 'test car' - how does play into the 'sale'
of that team.

funny how only now we hear matco 'tests' and cat 'races'??????
i don't buy it - or at least if it's true lee and his 'test' car have run just
as well as the cat car this year.....i don't think any major sponsor would
want to be the 'test car' of a 2-car operation......or would probably not
want to publicly admit it.

no need for any excuses for the oildowns - with the no-test rule, there
are only a few crew chiefs out there capable of equaling an AJ tuneup
and lee is one of them and i don't think he races for 2nd place.

i think i'm pickin' antron for PJ's contest next week.

so if the matco car is the 'test car' - how does play into the 'sale'
of that team.

funny how only now we hear matco 'tests' and cat 'races'??????
i don't buy it - or at least if it's true lee and his 'test' car have run just
as well as the cat car this year.....i don't think any major sponsor would
want to be the 'test car' of a 2-car operation......or would probably not
want to publicly admit it.

no need for any excuses for the oildowns - with the no-test rule, there
are only a few crew chiefs out there capable of equaling an AJ tuneup
and lee is one of them and i don't think he races for 2nd place.

i think i'm pickin' antron for PJ's contest next week.
I'm not sure if I follow your post, but do you really think Lee Beard is not out there racing? He's the Team Manager of DPM, he's in charge of the teams, and I would assume that he's in charge of the tune ups that go in them. All teams test, in one way or another.

As for the Matco car changing ownership, it will still be part of the 2 car team next year. Read the last sentance in Beard's interview.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I follow your post, but do you really think Lee Beard is not out there racing? He's the Team Manager of DPM, he's in charge of the teams, and I would assume that he's in charge of the tune ups that go in them. All teams test, in one way or another.

As for the Matco car changing ownership, it will still be part of the 2 car team next year. Read the last sentance in Beard's interview.

read my post, i clearly state i think he races to finish first - no question.

i know the interview said the team remains 2 cars - i'm just questioning;
if i were a CEO and signing the check for the sponsorship, if i would be
happy knowing it's public knowledge that my team tests and the other
half of the team gets the good stuff.......that's just my personal opinion.
some day when i win the powerball and sponsor a team, i'll let you know
if i still feel that way.

of course they all have to test to some degree during qualifying; some
just test harder than others and guess what, they oiled the track......
twice.......next weekend the same thing mite happen to another
well funded team.

so it stands to reason, based on lee's interview and which cars do
what over the course of a weekend, that the matco car may have
better odds of oiling the track; furthermore if one car tests for the other,
the entire team is responsible for oiling the track twice, cat team
included........win together, lose together as they say :rolleyes:

Maybe this fixes your statement. :D
...............if i were a CEO and signing the check for the sponsorship, if i would be
happy knowing it's public knowledge that my team tests and the other
half of the team gets the SAME stuff.......that's just my personal opinion...............................
One would think that in a partnership such as this, the costs of testing would be shared??? What's the point of going out there blowing up both of them?

Well - someone suggested this possibility during the "Who's Tuning" thread.
There are a lot of questions involved.
1. With time off, why didn't Power's teams test at a non-NHRA track?
2. Which is the "testing" team and which is the "racing" team?
3. Is NHRA going to allow off season testing (including the National Time Trials at Firebird in January)?
and . . .
4. One more time - What in the hell is going on with Nitro pricing and availability?

WHAT THE #ELL HAPPENED??? How did the wheels fall off this badly?????

17 5 Bob Vandergriff, Alpharetta GA, Hadman-TFX 3.934 307.65
18 72 Mike Strasburg, Lehi UT, Hadman-TFX 3.960 311.49
19 123 Antron Brown, Pittsboro IN, Hadman-TFX 4.056 256.26
20 700 Steven Chrisman, Anaheim CA, McKinney-TFX 4.228 275.00
21 737 Arley Langlo, Goleta CA, Tuttle-BAE 17.610 28.59

Guess you never had a bad day at work......

I have Shane, but 2 in a row, and a pretty horrendous two as well... Coming out of the box at the begining of the season, and being THE car to give Shoe a run for his money, this is more than just "a bad day at work"... This is a state-of-the-art, top-of-the-pedestal race team, and for everything to just disentergrate (no pun intended re: Vegas 2) in the stretch like it has just plain SUCKS!!!

I have Shane, but 2 in a row, and a pretty horrendous two as well... Coming out of the box at the begining of the season, and being THE car to give Shoe a run for his money, this is more than just "a bad day at work"... This is a state-of-the-art, top-of-the-pedestal race team, and for everything to just disentergrate (no pun intended re: Vegas 2) in the stretch like it has just plain SUCKS!!!

Martin, try tuning one, it's not hard at all to have a couple bad outtings.

Martin, try tuning one, it's not hard at all to have a couple bad outtings.

I'd love to Tony... I can start Monday, and be ready by Vegas warm ups... Got something in mind? :D

But I may not be Lee Beard and Co.!!!! They are some of the best- that's why I'm so shocked to see the turn this team has made... I've been a fan of the Beard tune-up since the G.O. days...

P.S. - Ur funny, Mikey!!! :D

Last edited:
You know the famous quote..........."It takes a thousand things going right to get these cars down the track and only one thing going wrong to prevent it." The edge is always near.........especially with most of the runs being on an unusually hot track.:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back