Tommy and Melanie's new TV show "King of the Strip": first episode this Sunday (1 Viewer)

Thanks Suzie......my favorite espisodes are coming in a few weeks when my husband runs. Some really...really close drag races...and not a lot of negociating!! Of course I know not everyone is going to like it........I myself cannot stand Pinks.

I think it's hard for drag racers to understand the show since it's not how we race. It's a "game show". I have had to explain quite a few things to some of our racer friends.

I'm glad I found this website though....there are some cool posts on here.........in other threads...(lol)...and I can see where reading this site can become very addicting!

I know what ya mean sista!!!:D

Kathy,
Welcome to the mater and kudos to you for coming on and explain some of the goings on in the show. I also was not a big fan of the first episode, and have not seen the second episode yet, but I too will give it another chance simply because you came on the mater and faced some of your critics (and I'm a big fan of TJ and Melanie).

I do think dragging that arse Shean Barney on the first episode was a mistake. A lot of people already saw his act on Pinks, and this was no different, just maybe even more abrasive. Starting a new show with some negative character lfrom another very similar show seems like a bad beginning--what do you think?

No it's not....because you would have time to react before GREEN if you had yellow.
Yes, it is!!

You race .400 Pro tree in Super Comp, right? Do you know when the yellow is coming on? The answer is no! You are reacting to the flash of the yellow bulbs! Your personal reaction plus your car's reaction time (roll-out) is your total reaction time.

The timer starts when it's GREEN.
Exactly the same as it does on 3-amber Pro Tree! If you react to the instant green the same as the flash of the ambers, and you're a .000 RT player on the .400 Pro tree then you should be a .400 RT player on the instant green!

Kathy,

Do the simple math and compare...

Let's say your personal reaction time .160 and your vehicle reaction time is .225, for a total reaction time of .385. You add .025 to your delay box for a .410 RT, or .010 on your time slip... okay!?

On a .400 Pro Tree you are reacting to the flash of the 3 amber bulbs. Because because there is a .400 of second delay between the flash of the ambers and the green light, the timing systems only sees the .010 difference between the green light coming on and you leaving the line.

Now, on an instant green tree, you are reacting to the flash of the green lamp. Because there is no delay in the clocks starting, the timing system sees the .410 that it took for you to leave the line!

Am I making it clear or do you still not understand?

Last edited:
Well...the order the 14 racers run in...was from a random drawing. I was picked first....then Sean....then Jon Phillips (also ran on Pinks)...and so on. Beleive it or not....it's just the way the drawing went.

There were a total of 4 street cars on the show...including myself. I would have loved to have run one or more of them...and had a real drag race!

There are "rumors" that if the show can come back again next year...some things would be a little different. Like a qualifying ladder. So for example say you were the first one picked...such as myself...you wouldn't have to win ALL 13 SHOWS...(which is a lot for anyone in 4 days!) to be crowned KOS. Instead you would have to win 4 races. Now that I like. Plus it should help take away some....not all...of the BS.

I can't say a whole lot about what happens in the coming weeks....but Kevin...my hubby...does a nice job! I was real proud of him....even though I got a little mad a him a few times during his shows. It's tough being teammates.....and husband and wife. We do it on a regular basis...since we compete in the same class. I can't wait until he goes to TD....lol.

You gotta start somewhere....and I really do think they have something here with this show.

Yes, it is!!

You race .400 Pro tree in Super Comp, right? Do you know when the yellow is coming on? The answer is no! You are reacting to the flash of the yellow bulbs! Your personal reaction plus your car's reaction time (roll-out) is your total reaction time.

Exactly the same as it does on 3-amber Pro Tree! If you react to the instant green the same as the flash of the ambers, and you're a .000 RT player on the .400 Pro tree then you should be a .400 RT player on the instant green!

Kathy,

Do the simple math and compare...

Let's say your personal reaction time .160 and your vehicle reaction time is .225, for a total reaction time of .385. You add .025 to your delay box for a .410 RT, or .010 on your time slip... okay!?

On a .400 Pro Tree you are reacting to the flash of the 3 amber bulbs. Because because there is a .400 of second delay between the flash of the ambers and the green light, the timing systems only sees the .010 difference between the green light coming on and you leaving the line.

Now, on an instant green tree, you are reacting to the flash of the green lamp. Because there is no delay in the clocks starting, the timing system sees the .410 that it took for you to leave the line!

Am I making it clear or do you still not understand?

OK...how about this. The tree during our show was set up as a .500 pro tree with the yellow bulbs on the driver's side unscrewed.

When I would go down track on the 4-wheeler to watch the others run...I could see the other side of the tree. It's too bad I didn't have a two-way for my crew guy to say GO when he saw the ambers flash!

I understand what your saying....but this was a different "ballgame" in so many ways...than what we are all used to!

Now you see why we had the lights that we had? A 5-something was acutally pretty decent! :D

No "b****ing"....I just didn't explain it right to start with!

PS....it wasn't this way in some episodes...I didn't notice it until I think it was Thursday. (we started taping Tuesday) Thursday night we had to make passes for the show in-between ORP running a street car night. So I know they weren't messing with all the bulbs on the tree. So for the shows that we had the track all to ourselves...I THINK they took all the ambers out...both sides. It took them a while the first day to figure out how they (the show's producers...and the folks in the tower @ ORP) wanted to do or could do the "instant" green...and .500 Pro with the ambers out was what they went with.

Last edited:
Kathy.....From one BUCKEYE to another, thanks for posting & making some sense out of the show!!:)

No problem....it does help...a little....if folks know a little more of the behind the scenes stuff!

PS....not ready for racing season to be over yet by any means....but can't wait for OHIO STATE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!

Oh my!!!! Another rabid Ohio State fan? Teri, should I tell Kathy to check out the old "State of your College Team" Thread from last season so she can read up, be ready for this season, and see how much fun we can have on the mater?

And I forgot---Go Huskers!

PS....not ready for racing season to be over yet by any means....but can't wait for OHIO STATE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!
Kathy........Check your PMs.

I love it!!!!! GO BUCKEYES!!!!!! You'll fit right in on the college football thread, there are a couple of MICHIGAN fans that we have to keep in line!!!:p

OK...how about this. The tree during our show was set up as a .500 pro tree with the yellow bulbs on the driver's side unscrewed. ...
I figured they just unscrewed the bulbs.

But it doesn't matter whether it was a .500 Sportsman tree or a .400 Pro tree since the reaction timers don't start till the green light comes on. And the ET timers don't start till you leave the line.

Yes, a .5xx reaction time on instant green is a decent light.

Not to continue that argument :), but I almost bought into Greg's argument abotu the tree until I thought a bit more...

If the green comes out at .500, we subtract that immediatly from the overall reaction... so if she got a .700 rt the combination of her and her car's delay was .200... I dont know how quick/slow her car launched, but I can believe that a .6xx would be a good light on that show...

Anyone else car to add some info?

CJ Curtsinger

C.J., from what I know and what I have read about reaction times (car and driver) I think Greg is right on. We both could be wrong (its a Nebraska thing) but I think Greg has it nailed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back