Tommy and Melanie's new TV show "King of the Strip": first episode this Sunday (2 Viewers)

Ya , the show sucked. It is amazing what people will do for money.The guy in the falcon lied like a snake in the grass. I liked the idea from Jon, just do dials

it doesn't sound like this show has much to do with mel and tommy.
i was hoping for a real reality show, you know, her walking out with a big towel wrapped around her head after a shower, tommy sitting on the couch drinking beer, watching cops....:-
)

:D:D:D
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Thanks Bob; I needed that!

I, too, am a big TJ/Mel fan but that was a waste of a half hour. I did a car show yesterday so last night I asked Lisa how the show was and she wouldn't say a word till I watched it first. That kinda warned me about how bad it was.
I will give it another shot but...
:confused:

After reading all the comments about this show I decided to watch it. Melanie and Tommy are two of my favorite racers and I remember Tommy since he used to race TA/FC when he was like 17. This T.V. show stinks, and I feel like I wasted a half hour of my time that I will never recover. It was painful to watch and I hope that T.J. and Melanie just get away from it ASAP. I just couldn't believe how bad it was, but I stuck it out to the end. Maybe I am just an old fart but that is too early for me to drink a beer to be able to watch a T.V. show. Just my 2 cents.

I tried to watch it again, and I just couldn't get through it. I can't stand the show Pinks! I get so disgusted when they argue.

Here is my idea.........they only have 30 seconds to argue and Rick Stewart will be there to time them on the tree! When the 30 seconds is over, if you don't have an agreement, you are OUT!!! No bickering!!! Just shut the h*ll up and race for pete's sake!!!

Someone needs to whisper into Melanie and TJ's ears to change the format to a DIAL THE CAR BRACKET RACE!!! No Arguing!! Sandbag if you wish!! Worst Redlight Rule in Effect!! Best of 5 WINS!!!

THAT way we could find out who's the better tuner (ET GUESSER) and who's the better DRIVER (RT's win alot of Bracket Races)

Sounds like a plan--after two episodes I think anything will help and I agree--too much arguing and not enough racing Mel and TJ would welcome the suggestion, I bet. Lets see, maybe TJ could shave his head, show up in a sleeveless shirt and stocking cap, stand out by the tree and........nah, that probably wouldn't work, huh?

Let's also make it a little more interesting.. Take the cars and drivers to a track they've never been to before. No Time Trials. Dial it out of your log book and best guess first round!!

I watched the show for the first time yesterday and have to say...

I can't fathom why Tommie and Melanie would want to be associated with a show like that.

And oh my god, where did they find the blonde lady in the Trans Am? She was as ignorant about how things really are on a drag strip as a neophyte fan. Her statement, "my car slows down when it starts to cool off" had my jaw on the floor for its stupidity.

The whole thing is a joke and does nothing for the betterment of drag racing on a whole.

I will say, that Tommie, Melanie, and the gentleman from Mike Ashley's crew did a good job of trying to keep the B.S. between the competitors to a minimum.

Hello,

I'm new here...but felt it was important to toss a couple of things out for you guys.

The two shows that have aired so far...were filmed the very first day..(of 4 days total filming). Melanie and Tommy were great...and as the shows go...those two get even better.

It's like anything else...when you first start something, you may not be the best...or at your best. Trust me....they really get into the show...and take control.

There are some darn good races coming with some REAL drag racers. I'm sorry that I could not do a little better on my two shows. I'm used to running my QR/SC dragster...and no BS!!!! Plus trying to cut a light on an instant green in a street car.....that was a chore. I did the only thing I knew to do...and could make it work for me ONE TIME...and that was go in deep. That was the only trick I had. I'm used to running straight up....but that's not what the show is about. It's how good of a negotiater are you? I didn't have much to negociate with. Now...when my husband runs later in the series....in a car that's more condusive to drag racing.....it's another story.

We were asked to be a part of the show...and both had to borrow door cars to compete. Open bodied cars...such as our dragsters, were not allowed. Cars had to run between 8.00 & 14.00 in the quarter mile.

I had never been in that car (WS6) until the day we raced. Same for my husband....although looking back I wish I would have traded cars with him.....lol. Hammering down and leaving on a .400 pro tree with a tranny brake with lots of time in the box is what I used to. I should have done a better job!

Time between rounds during each episode was a max of 30 minutes unless more time was negotiated. During the first espisode my competitor had the full 30 minutes between rounds and was ready to go. He did not know he left something on...and therefore had run his battery down. I was told to go and make the pass...as the 30 minutes were up.

There are more surprises and more professional driver guests that are coming in the weeks ahead.

It really was a hard 4 days in the sun for all involved. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. It made me appreciate running my dragster at national and divisional events....just that much more.

Based on the car that I had and the people I had to run.....I am not disappointed in my outcome on the show. I'm not a sandbagger I guess....and I'm not going to start now.

Think about some of the big bracket races...or even some of the national events that you have to go 8 or 9 rounds to win. Don't you have more than a 1/2 hour in-between rounds? OK...most of the time you do. For example, my husband ends up running 22 or 23 rounds in a day and a half!! That takes a toll on everyone...and the equipment! Track temp was between 130 & 140 all 4 days. It was unreal.

The first two competitors...that I raced, had both been on PINKS. As a matter of fact they ran each other...and the Ford guys lost his car. He had to buy it back for $10,000. I have never watched the episode...but I guess it runs this Wed @ 9p EDT on Speed. I had no idea who they were....

If you guys have any questions...please let me know. Give the show a chance....they are not all a bunch of bickering. :D:D

Thanks for chiming in here, Kathy. I was able to watch part of the 2nd show and wasn't too impressed but I'll definitely give it another few chances.

I

And oh my god, where did they find the blonde lady in the Trans Am? She was as ignorant about how things really are on a drag strip as a neophyte fan. Her statement, "my car slows down when it starts to cool off" had my jaw on the floor for its stupidity.

When the dew comes in....and the humidity is up from my experience racing my street camaro.....my times did slow down so that's all I had to go off of. I would spin a lot more coming off the line...and did lose over 2 tenths from my day ET's!!!

We never saw what our RT or ET's were...and could only go off of what we preceived to have happened. The car had been running high 13.40's during the day....but once I saw the show...I saw that it fell off. Of course deep staging affected that, too.

I had never raced on that track before...and neither had most of the contestants. We are from all over...and Indy is not our home track.

Just remember, you guys don't get to see half of what really happened. It took anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours to film an episode. They only show 23 minutes....so you really don't know some of the things that were said. Editing can do a lot!

When the dew comes in....and the humidity is up from my experience racing my street camaro.....my times did slow down so that's all I had to go off of. I would spin a lot more coming off the line...and did lose over 2 tenths from my day ET's!!!

We never saw what our RT or ET's were...and could only go off of what we preceived to have happened. The car had been running high 13.40's during the day....but once I saw the show...I saw that it fell off. Of course deep staging affected that, too.

I had never raced on that track before...and neither had most of the contestants. We are from all over...and Indy is not our home track.

Just remember, you guys don't get to see half of what really happened. It took anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours to film an episode. They only show 23 minutes....so you really don't know some of the things that were said. Editing can do a lot!
Kathy,

There's no question that a lot is left on the editing room floor. But...

After watching the show and listening to what you and your husband were trying to negotiate for I am truly surprised to find out that you and your husband are drag racers. You guys know how much a tenth of second is worth at the stripe and you were asking for an additional 1.5 seconds over what your time run E.T.s were?!?

Or were you just concerned that he was sandbagging that much with the nitrous? There are a lot of ways to to pick up a bunch of E.T. without the nitrous... running the car fat during the heat, taking way or adding timing, etc.

I was really floored that you guys were trying to make him take the nitrous off his car after the time runs. How on earth would he have a clue as to what he should negotiate for the split on the tree?

Any way, I hope you had a good time. But the show is just a more polished version of Pinks... that's my opinion.

That's because they are using instant green... no yellow lights. But even still, a .700 light is .200 slower than a properly set up car should be if they hit the tree on time.

No not really....have you ever tried an instant green? I'm mean....it's already GREEN!

Remember....the car has to react too...no matter how it's set up or not in my case and several others who compete on the show in street cars. There is no way to know when it's coming on, no advance warning, no anticipation...or any way to have the car rolling as it goes to green.

Even with a tranny brake it would have been tough to cut anything lower than a .570. To me that still sucks. I will be very interested to see what my husband's lights were during his 5 shows. At least he could bring the launch rpms up..and leave with the TB.

I think I did have a .590 something light (I would have to watch yesterday's show again to see).....in a street car...spinning like heck...and of course...thanks to deep staging. Roll out in the car I was driving is a lot more than someone who is launching harder and picking the wheels up. Hmmmmm.....would that have anything to do with the RT? Seems like the Z guy and the other person I ran should have kicked my butt on the tree EVERYTIME. PERIOD.

Try it once..........and then see what your times are...it was something else.

No not really....have you ever tried an instant green? I'm mean....it's already GREEN!

Remember....the car has to react too...no matter how it's set up or not in my case and several others who compete on the show in street cars. There is no way to know when it's coming on, no advance warning, no anticipation...or any way to have the car rolling as it goes to green. ...
Kathy,

I'm no neophyte... I know a thing two about how reaction times work. And yes, I've tried instant green! It's the same as reacting to the yellow lights on a Pro tree. Your reaction time numbers are just different. If you can go .000 bottom bulb racing the you should be a .500 player in instant green.

What is your personal reaction time average? What the rollout on the car? That should give you pretty good idea what your reaction time would be on instant green.

A transbrake car would definitely have an advantage since they a generally quicker reacting than a footbrake car.

Kathy,

Thanks for posting here, but I still am not impressed with the show. I know everyone put in a lot of hard work and time. For your sake, since you were so nice to post on here, I will give it one more try. :D

Suzie

Kathy,

There's no question that a lot is left on the editing room floor. But...

After watching the show and listening to what you and your husband were trying to negotiate for I am truly surprised to find out that you and your husband are drag racers. You guys know how much a tenth of second is worth at the stripe and you were asking for an additional 1.5 seconds over what your time run E.T.s were?!?

Or were you just concerned that he was sandbagging that much with the nitrous? There are a lot of ways to to pick up a bunch of E.T. without the nitrous... running the car fat during the heat, taking way or adding timing, etc.

I was really floored that you guys were trying to make him take the nitrous off his car after the time runs. How on earth would he have a clue as to what he should negotiate for the split on the tree?

Any way, I hope you had a good time. But the show is just a more polished version of Pinks... that's my opinion.

We found out after TT's that his car was capable of running in the 9's...and that during TT's he was already not showing his hand. I THINK as the shows go and he has to run his car a little harder each time...we should see what he was really capable of. I didn't sandbag in TT's...especailly since I didn't really know what the car I was driving would run. I knew it should be a little faster than my old '99 Z28 was...but didn't know by how much.

As Larry Dixon told me off camera........."Ask for the world and settle for Texas"....so that's what I did. That's what shows like this are about....and we didn't really know until we got there. I was really thinking that we would be "dialing" the cars in....only by tenths...and not out to the .00'ths...but still "dialing". Neither of us knew a lot of things until the day we all got there and had the driver's meeting.

We took a look at his car........and he had 6 solenoids. We don't know a whole lot about nitrous...(yet, until we move to Top Dragster)....but wouldn't that be more tha 2 stages?

Yes...we know the things you are refering to...to change the way the car runs...or doesn't run. We tried a few things ourselves when Kevin ran his races later in the series. We couldn't take the cars back to our pit in-between rounds...and had to be up behind the burnout box for the "world to see" what we did to the car eachtime. Except when we did get a 45 min supper break. That would be bewteen shows...and not rounds.

I'm sorry if standing up for myself on the show was a problem for anyone....I just don't take crap lightly and am accustomed to running a fair race. I've been around drag racing all my life...and this was all new to me!;) Anyone who races with us knows the kind of racers we are...and will continue to be.

Kathy,

I'm no neophyte... I know a thing two about how reaction times work. And yes, I've tried instant green! It's the same as reacting to the yellow lights on a Pro tree. Your reaction time numbers are just different. If you can go .000 bottom bulb racing the you should be a .500 player in instant green.

What is your personal reaction time average? What the rollout on the car? That should give you pretty good idea what your reaction time would be on instant green.

A transbrake car would definitely have an advantage since they a generally quicker reacting than a footbrake car.

No it's not....because you would have time to react before GREEN if you had yellow. The timer starts when it's GREEN. So to cut a light you need to be moving before the GREEN. That's kinda hard to do when you don't know when it's coming on.

My average RT in my dragster is .015...pro tree...with anywhere from .02 to .045 in the box depending on what track we are at. I don't have time bracket race it anymore...so it's all SC/QR stuff for the last 3 years.

To compare on a sportsman tree...in my camaro back in the day....I would say my avg was .030...and I left when the 3rd yellow was on full. The few times I ran the dullie for the giggles of it...I would have to leave as the 2nd yellow was going out to cut any kind of a light.

....and yes......I know you're not new to drag racing.......;)

Kathy,

Thanks for posting here, but I still am not impressed with the show. I know everyone put in a lot of hard work and time. For your sake, since you were so nice to post on here, I will give it one more try. :D

Suzie

Thanks Suzie......my favorite espisodes are coming in a few weeks when my husband runs. Some really...really close drag races...and not a lot of negociating!! Of course I know not everyone is going to like it........I myself cannot stand Pinks.

I think it's hard for drag racers to understand the show since it's not how we race. It's a "game show". I have had to explain quite a few things to some of our racer friends.

I'm glad I found this website though....there are some cool posts on here.........in other threads...(lol)...and I can see where reading this site can become very addicting!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back