Tommy and Melanie's new TV show "King of the Strip": first episode this Sunday (1 Viewer)

Just got home and watched it on DVR. Things I liked:
- use of the timing system: Pinks arm drop and car length stuff is street race garbage.
- having other professional racers there: gives the show a different feel as well as promoting the people in drag racing, something the NHRA has yet to effectively do
- running the race in daylight: guess it's a silly thing to notice but Pinks loves to night race for that cheesy 'outlaw/the cops are gonna shut us down, man' atmosphere, glad to see Melanie and Tommy doing something different

Things I didn't like:
- the single: let them at least try to fix the heap, maybe they did try but TV didn't show that
- give the hosts the final rule: racers never agree on anything, cut down some of the talk by letting Melanie or Tommy make the final call on what the race should be if the debate reaches an impass

Overall verdict: I liked it. I hope they consider adding brief segments on the guest "referees." Let non-drag racing fans get to know what a fuel crewman does for a living or who Bruce Litton is. We all know but the man's had a pretty interesting life from race wins to losing his garage and rebuilding. I know that's not the purpose of the show but still, racers always have a good story to tell. Might be interesting to the non-diehard fans that frequent Nitromater.

Pink's is now the 2nd worst reality racing on tv.:rolleyes:

LOL! Who would've guessed it? The one 'mater that never said a nice thing about anything didn't like it. Mater's answer to Mikey of Wheaties commercial fame is nothing if remarkably consistant. :D

Just got home and watched it on DVR. Things I liked:
- use of the timing system: Pinks arm drop and car length stuff is street race garbage.
- having other professional racers there: gives the show a different feel as well as promoting the people in drag racing, something the NHRA has yet to effectively do
- running the race in daylight: guess it's a silly thing to notice but Pinks loves to night race for that cheesy 'outlaw/the cops are gonna shut us down, man' atmosphere, glad to see Melanie and Tommy doing something different

Things I didn't like:
- the single: let them at least try to fix the heap, maybe they did try but TV didn't show that
- give the hosts the final rule: racers never agree on anything, cut down some of the talk by letting Melanie or Tommy make the final call on what the race should be if the debate reaches an impass

Overall verdict: I liked it. I hope they consider adding brief segments on the guest "referees." Let non-drag racing fans get to know what a fuel crewman does for a living or who Bruce Litton is. We all know but the man's had a pretty interesting life from race wins to losing his garage and rebuilding. I know that's not the purpose of the show but still, racers always have a good story to tell. Might be interesting to the non-diehard fans that frequent Nitromater.

Things I liked about it:

Nothing

Things I Didn't Like About It:

Everything

I feel bad for Melanie and TJ. That garbage gets aired, and then they both go down in Round 1.

Things I liked about it:

Nothing

Things I Didn't Like About It:

Everything

I feel bad for Melanie and TJ. That garbage gets aired, and then they both go down in Round 1.

I couldn't have sai it any better. Actually, you typically shouldn't be embarrassed going out in the first round. Being on that show is downright embarrassing.

:confused:
LOL! Who would've guessed it? The one 'mater that never said a nice thing about anything didn't like it. Mater's answer to Mikey of Wheaties commercial fame is nothing if remarkably consistant.
I know you aint talking about me.:confused: FACE IT. the show stunk up the place. And I do feel sorry for T.J. and Mel. 25 posts so far, 24 nay, 1 yea. so one would guess that there are a lot of Mikeys here. HUM?:rolleyes:

Its all over the internet and its bad,,,did't need a other show to stink up dragracing,,,

Yup a "PINKS" knockoff- but, IMO, better. They actually use the timing system.The first installmant brought us a late-model Firebird going up against an early model Falcon. That guy driving the Falcon looked familar.......was he on PINKS?

Yes, I believe the guy driving the Falcon was on several episodes of Pinks. On one episode he was racing, and on a couple of other episodes he was a crewmember for other racers. And if I remember correctly, he also was having "car problems" on the Pinks episode.

it doesn't sound like this show has much to do with mel and tommy.
i was hoping for a real reality show, you know, her walking out with a big towel wrapped around her head after a shower, tommy sitting on the couch drinking beer, watching cops....:-
)

Last edited:
Wow it was painful.

I do like that they actually use the tree and no x car lenths headstart. Those are huge plusses over pinks.

Mellanie and TJ need to own the show. They both sat back a little too much and let the idiot guy steal the show too much.

I'm hoping because that guy was such a putz that maybe the next episode will be better. Because I'm a fan of TJ and Mellanie's I will give it another try.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who didn't dig it. I was really looking forward to it (I've been gorging on US TV since I've been back) and I love Mel and TJ but, I didn't last two minutes. I hope AFN doesn't pick this up.

S/F
D

The format of using the clocks is way better than PINKS .... BUT... The arguing of a 2.85 to a 2.90 difference and lane choice sure sounded like PINKS.. IMO They would have been better off to make them dial the cars and bracket race them.... Best of 5 Bracket Style!!!!!

I agree 100% let them dial their # then they can sandbag or run as hard as they want... there wont be any BS arguing, and if they cut light like that (.700+) vs ME I'd be going home with $$ every race :)

Correct me but I think they both had .700 or slower lights ... if the show makes em dial in then it could be fun.. JMO

Last edited:
OH yeah the reaction times were extremely bad.. Dial for $$$ would be better. Best of 5 wins.. Let them sandbag if they wish... BREAKOUTS LOSE!! Also they should try the WORST RED LIGHT rule in case both cars redlight.. No need in punishing the slower car!!

Mellanie and TJ need to own the show. They both sat back a little too much and let the idiot guy steal the show too much.

That's just about where I stand with the show, too, PJ. Like you said, since it's Tommy and Melanie, I'm sure I'll give it another shot, but I hope they take some leadership.

Sean D

The lights were so bad as they use an instant green with no ambers. I think there were still average even if you do the math.

It still amazes me how many people turn up for these shows with unprepared piles of junk they are purporting to be race cars.

only way to save the show--make Tommy + Mel race against each other--loser having to do the household chores for a week. Let them negotiate over a couple of tenths for Tommy-argue of what chores-etc. (I'll take the left lane-you lose you have to clean the toilet.)
ANYTHING has to be better that 30 minutes wasted on a couple of 1/2 passes+ a bye run.

Found it by accident Sunday morning....omg, I should've just kept channel surfing.

Tommy/Melanie - get out while you can!!! This was worse than PINKS, and that's not saying much.

BTW, I will watch Driving Force all day, every day before I watch another episode of "The Bickersons".
A-W-F-U-L!! :eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back