Remembering " Hip " One Year Ago (1 Viewer)

nitro-trucker

Nitro Member
Well, INDY is 1 week away and it brings me back to the day I met HIP. I only talked to him for about 15 min. but I have remebered it. We talked about health but I didn't know how sick he was. He told me how grateful he was to Bobby & Alan for making this day for him & Whit for having him. Those who got to meet him were just as lucky as I was. In Reading I thanked Whit for letting HIP be the star for a day. Well, we all know what happened a short time later and it was loss for all. "RIP HIP"

Re: Remebering " Hip " One Year Ago

Hipster was awesome, he used to love Whit's Poweraid Bottle.:D

whit1.jpg

It's funny....I was thinking of Roger on my way into work.

We miss you, Hip! :(

I wish I had taken the time last year to go over and meet him. I didn't want to horn in on his special visit with Whit so I stayed away.

When I first came to this site 4/5 years ago I was a Whit hater, Hip made me see the other side and now I am a very proud Whit fan.

I wish I had taken the time last year to go over and meet him. I didn't want to horn in on his special visit with Whit so I stayed away.

When I first came to this site 4/5 years ago I was a Whit hater, Hip made me see the other side and now I am a very proud Whit fan.
So you think maybe in a few years we can turn you into a very proud "Countdown" fan?:D

So you think maybe in a few years we can turn you into a very proud "Countdown" fan?:D

there is not enough beer, nor pretty women, nor nitro fumes that could ever sway me

Roger Hood and I started on opposite sides of some strong opinions and really got into it. He questioned some of my statements about my sons driving our funny cars to which harsh words were exchanged and unkindness was unnecessarily provoked. There seemed no way out of the fight which was so unsettling to me, so I asked his forgiveness and offered my friendship. Then, despite these many strong words, Hip went on CIFCA's old website and was able to confirm my statements and he PMed me with an apology. We spoke quite often from that point in regular e-mail as well as on the old Mater and I grew to appreciate his deep rooted knowledge of drag racing history as well as his intense love for the sport. We shared a great deal of our personal lives with each other and we remained fairly close to the end. He shared his medical issues in confidence and I assured him that he would be in our prayers as he finished up this mortal session of the bigger existence picture. His experience at Indy was a finishing touch on his life and, as so often happens, one soul touched so very many.

When my mortal session is over, there are lots of wonderful people I am very excited to meet including so many family members, notable world leaders, religious reformers, founding fathers, inventors/great thinkers and so many others but I can assure you, I'll look up 'ol Roger "Hip" Hood for a wonderful reunion of two friends. We'll even get to watch the races in HD Real Time without waiting for the finish of the "tournament of champions" hopscotch finals.

I'll never again discount the possibility of using kindness to turn an adversary into a good friend. Everyone's worth that effort.

Well said, Doc..............And Hip......We hardly knew ya, brother. Rest in eternal peace, my friend.

Late....................Mitch

Thanks for the reminder Jay...Hip was a special guy. It's hard for me to think about Whit without thinking about Hip. That was truly a special thing that was done for him at Indy.

like bobby said, it is great that one of the last things he did was go to indy and hang with whit! we on here will never forget you hip! R.I.P roger see you on the other side. your pontiac buddy- jeff.

Yes,Hip and I had a few debates but it was never personal with me and I don't think it was with him either. I'm glad I got to banter back and forth with him,made the Mater a fun place to visit. I bet his trip to Indy was a highlight in a life that traveled many roads. RIP hiprogerr

I wish I could have met Hip.

He is missed in a big way around here.

I am really glad Whit welcomed Hip so openly at Indy last year. What a CLASS gesture on his part.

We miss ya Hip! You aren't forgotten!

hip3ye1.jpg

We miss ya bro...........

Well, I read this post a few days ago and was glad that HipRogerr was remembered by the Mater faithful, and on the 1st day of qualifying I just had to add my thoughts too. Hip, I hope you can give ol' Whit (actually Lee Beard) a touch of Indy magic so Whit get on track and contend at Indy in his first time in a Top Fuel car. Today's first pass was a big disappointment. Roger, your thoughts and opinions are well missed, and I hope you still feel the love. You made our lives better by knowing you and as Doc said, we'll all look you up when he get that chance. RIP (Hip)Roger

Last edited:
I had a chance to thank Whit for what he did for "Hip" at the Time Trials at Firebird this year. His response was "I didn't know how sick we was" - and none of us knew that. Hip - all of the Maters loved your enthusiasm . . . we miss you and we're glad you had a blast with Whit before you left the Mater!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back