Our beloved "Hip" has moved on (1 Viewer)

I just received this email from Whit:

Alan,
Thank you for getting me the message. I am very saddened to hear this. Roger was a student of the sport and a tremendously nice man. He understood the sport -- and modern day Funny Car racing -- in a way that very few people do. I enjoyed the all too brief time we were able to spend together talking as Roger was extremely smart and had a strong opinion on everything. He was not afraid to give it either.
Although I hardly knew him, (I had only met him twice, both times at Indy,) I know that I will miss his presence. I am very grateful as well as humbled that someone like Roger Hood would have such a keen desire for me to be successful. I know people will say that I touched his life, but the reality is that he touched mine way more than I touched his. That is the truth and the reason why I feel like I have lost a very close friend.

Whit Bazemore

I just received this email from Whit:

Alan,
Thank you for getting me the message. I am very saddened to hear this. Roger was a student of the sport and a tremendously nice man. He understood the sport -- and modern day Funny Car racing -- in a way that very few people do. I enjoyed the all too brief time we were able to spend together talking as Roger was extremely smart and had a strong opinion on everything. He was not afraid to give it either.
Although I hardly knew him, (I had only met him twice, both times at Indy,) I know that I will miss his presence. I am very grateful as well as humbled that someone like Roger Hood would have such a keen desire for me to be successful. I know people will say that I touched his life, but the reality is that he touched mine way more than I touched his. That is the truth and the reason why I feel like I have lost a very close friend.

Whit Bazemore

Whit Bazemore, a real class act! Good luck in the future!

Alan....that piece you wrote in the "News" section was very moving. I think you summed it up wonderfully.

I just read that news section piece by Alan a few minutes ago and I second your feelings, Kelly. Great article Alan, and thanks for writing it so that many others will know a little more about Hip. And Alan, thanks for forwarding the note from Whit. He was truly touched by Hip. Would love to have heard some of their conversations, as brief as they may have been. Its good to know that this internet drag racing community brought joy to Hip's final years. I can still remember how grateful (and humbled) Hip was when he got the computer and internet service that so many in this community donated to. His response of thanks brought tears to my eyes, and I'm sure he was overwhelmed beyond belief.

I miss him too, Kelly. That's why I started that thread a few days ago when I noticed he hadn't posted in awhile. This is not the outcome I was expecting though. I just have to have faith that he is in a better place now.

Reading this makes me a little bit teary eyed. We lost a real asset to this board and it's so cool he got to go Indy! Life is so short.

I WANT TO COMPLIMENT NITROMATER!
Some of you may know I was gone for a while but it was really tough being gone. Why? Because all you guys rock! And the whole story about Roger is why. When I have promoted car shows here to help people in my area you guys always respond. This is a great group of people, drag racing or not.

Whit,
Actions speak louder than words and you have proved once agian by your hospitality to Roger that your a first class racer.

Last edited:
If you go to the link below, then scroll down to Search Obituaries Archives, put in the date of October 10, 2006 and Rodger Hood, once that page loads you can scroll down to Rodger's obituarie. There is a guest book to sign for his family.

Direct link

What a terrible loss......I'm stunned.

Roger, we'll definitely miss you my friend. My life is better having met you.

God speed!

No way! Very sad news, one of the posters I really enjoyed on here, and Hip was a Whit fan :) A good dude, who will be missed on this forum.

R.I.P Roger.

Mike

I think it was a year or so ago the friends of HIP on the mater were able to get HIP a new computer which when you are basically housebound with a debilitating disease is like winning the lottery or at least Christmas.
Hip not one for sentimentality's thanked everyone sincerely and for the rest of the time he was here was able access the Internet .
God bless those who made the rest of his time enjoyable and God bless and God Speed HIP.

Hip was class and the Mater was a better place because he was here. Now he has a better view to watch the races and Whit. Rest easy as you have made it home.
jim

I can honestly say Hip is why I am a Whit fan now.

I want to thank all of those who made his Indy trip happen and also everyone who chipped him awhile back to get him back on the mater.

I wish now that that I had made more of an effort to find him at Indy this year. I didn't want to horn in on his time with Whit, I wish now I would have stopped by for a second just to shake his hand.

He will be missed.

Roger/Hip...YOU will be missed. I'm really sorry to hear of this passing...however I'm sure you're in a much better, pain free place. My condolences to Rogers family...

Terry "T-Bone" Brewster

Terribly sad. Hip will be missed. I should have gone and said hello in Indy :(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back