NHRA Championship Points (old style) (1 Viewer)

Chili

Nitro Member
Here are the points using the traditional system

TF
1-Fuller 1329
2-Schumacher 1189
3-Dixon 1167
4-Bernstein 1116
5-Todd 1009
6-Vandergriff 932
7-Troxel 842
8-Bazemore 827
9-Herbert 824
10-Grubnic 823
11-McClenathan 788
12-Will 755
13-Kalitta 717
14-Millican 652
15-Lucas 549

FC
1-Capps 1151
2-Hight 1134
3-T. Pedregon 1025
4-Ashley 998
5-Force 962
6-Beckman 947
7-Scelzi 901
8-Worsham 838
9-Head 834
10-Bernstein 739
11-Johnson Jr. 731
12-Arend 724
13-A. Force 704
14-C. Pedregon 669
15-Wilkerson 660

PS
1-Anderson 1516
2-Connolly 1368
3-Coughlin 1264
4-A. Johnson 1051
5-Line 997
6-K. Johnson 973
7-W. Johnson 803
8- Morgan 799
9-Gaines 765
10-Steven 762
11-Yates 717
12-Stanfield 627
13-Koretsky 609
14-Naylor 582

PS
1-Smith 1028
2-Sampey 833
3-Hines 828
4-Ellis 691
5-Treble 662
6-Stouffer 659
7-Krawiec 607
8-Lewellyn-602
9-Rivas 591
10-Johnson 561
11-Brown 538
12-Guidera 478
13-Arana 420
14-Scali 398

I thought I would show the true and fake ways side by side. Sorry about all the dots, without them things were all bunched up.

True Champion way........................Welfare system
TF
1-Fuller 1329 ................. ............ Schumacher 2178
2-Schumacher 1189....................... Dixon 2147
3-Dixon 1167 ................................. fuller 2144
4-Bernstein 1116 ............................ Bernstein 2092
5-Todd 1009 .................................. Vandergriff 2076
6-Vandergriff 932.............................Todd 2040
7-Troxel 842...................................Herbert 2032
8-Bazemore 827 ............................. Bazemore 2020
9-Herbert 824
10-Grubnic 823
11-McClenathan 788
12-Will 755
13-Kalitta 717
14-Millican 652
15-Lucas 549

FC
1-Capps 1151.................................... Hight 2155
2-Hight 1134 .....................................mike a 2134
3-T. Pedregon 1025 ............................T. Pedregon 2113
4-Ashley 998 .....................................capps 2104
5-Force 962 ......................................beckman 2086
6-Beckman 947.................................. j force 2060
7-Scelzi 901 ......................................scelzi 2042
8-Worsham 838.................................. head 2031
9-Head 834
10-Bernstein 739
11-Johnson Jr. 731
12-Arend 724
13-A. Force 704
14-C. Pedregon 669
15-Wilkerson 660

PS
1-Anderson 1516......................................Connolly 2176
2-Connolly 1368........................................Anderson 2162
3-Coughlin 1264........................................AJ 2095
4-A. Johnson 1051.....................................KJ 2094
5-Line 997...............................................Jeg 2083
6-K. Johnson 973......................................line 2061
7-W. Johnson 803.....................................Morgan 2033
8- Morgan 799..........................................WJ 2020
9-Gaines 765
10-Steven 762
11-Yates 717
12-Stanfield 627
13-Koretsky 609
14-Naylor 582

PS
1-Smith 1028..........................................Smith 2165
2-Sampey 833.........................................Treble 2114
3-Hines 828.............................................Ellis 2108
4-Ellis 691...............................................Hines 2106
5-Treble 662...........................................Angelle 2092
6-Stouffer 659.........................................Karen 2072
7-Krawiec 607..........................................Krawiec 2051
8-Lewellyn-602........................................Peggy 2043
9-Rivas 591
10-Johnson 561
11-Brown 538
12-Guidera 478
13-Arana 420
14-Scali 398

Thanks Chris and PJ for the efforts--very interesting stats--at just a quick glance it looks like Jeggie got the bone the worst of anyone....

Thanks Chris and PJ for the efforts--very interesting stats--at just a quick glance it looks like Jeggie got the bone the worst of anyone....

I would say that Capps, Anderson and Fuller got the bigest screw job. Each should be in the lead.

Fuller should be up 140 and being scarred stiff of the annual Schumacher onslaught. Now he sits in 3rd and he went to the semi's in Indy. Wonder what the new sponsor thinks...

Capps should have been up 17 points. Wait a minute 17 points, it is that close without a countdown:rolleyes:. Impossible, countdowns are created to make things close even if they don't deserve to be. So now Hight has a 21 point lead....yes folks its true the countdown actually made this race even wider. Oh and poor Capps, he got pushed down to 4th

Anderson should have a 148 points lead, now he sits 14 out of first. As for Jeggie he has spent the season as a top 3 car, but after one race he goes form being safely in 3rd by 213 points to now sitting in 5th wondering what happened.

Smith is the only one who came through this still in his rightful position. But his 195 point lead is now down to 51.

the old system is BORING........................:rolleyes:

you are so right cuz the pass last season the schumaher made was soooo broing. And the Funny car race the past few seasons what a yawner.:rolleyes:

Lets just pull the name of the champ out of the hat, no that would be excitement. Why limit it to just 8 then. How great would it be for someone who never even qualified to be crowned champ. Afterall if we just drew names then everyone would feel like they had a shot.....oh wait they would:rolleyes:

I would hate to tell my sponsor that I lead the points the whole year and under the normal point standings would have won the championship, but now because of the countdown deal, I missed the countdown to 4 and I'm #5 in points.....

I feel bad for Ron Capps, Greg Anderson, Matt Smith and Hot Rod, because of their points. Ron Capps and Robert Hight would be be a dog fight with only 2 rounds between them.... What a joke this countdown is....

In reading NHRA.com about the Countdown, they say Force, even tho he didn't qualify, got 70 points at Indy. Can someone please explain how that happened? This new system sucks.....lead the points all years and get screwed in the end. Welcome to NHRA drag racing!

You guys make it sound like someone is backing into this deal.
beatdeadhorse.gif

The REAL Championship Teams will stand out when the pressure is on, just like what is happening now. Does Fuller really deserve to be the Champion just because the Army Team got off to a slow start, that's the only way he got the huge points lead? Does Greg Anderson really deserve to be the Champion just because it took Cagnazzi the first part of the season to get it right?

You can mark these words here and now! Army Team and Force Team will kick their asses regardless of the Countdown, and Pro Stock will be a good battle between KB and Cagnazzi.......

One would like to think that Doug Herbert or Jim Head can make a run at it, but it's not going to happen. The REAL Championship Teams will prevail, but at least this way there will a hell of alot of excitement in it for the next 7 races. Once again, the old system is BORING........................

My "Confidential Source" just contacted me, and NHRA is looking for a way to atone for the screwing some of the higher ranked drivers got...

As of the next race, you know how they usually give "Best Appearing Car" to a Stocker or SS or Comp car... well now the Pros will receive Good Looking Points the amount will vary, depending on who the driver is and how far down the ladder he is.. :confused: Also if the driver needs MORE POINTS.. NHRA will award Crew Points that will go to the driver.. They will be awarded for sharp looking shirts on the crew...

I know Ron Capps is petitioning for GIRLIE GIRL points.. they will be awarded for "Best Looking girls at the hospitality tent.. aka Brute Girls = 4- 8 points...Ron seems to have a lock in this dept.. :D We'll have to see how it plays out...

I think once all the smoke is cleared Worsham will end up being screwed pretty good by the scamdown. That car has really picked up over the past few races (2 semi finals and 1 runner up) in the last 4 races and although he wouldn't have won the championship under the old system he might have been able to gain a few more positions. Ending the year strong and finishing in 6th would have been a lot better than the 9th place he is currently in.

I think once all the smoke is cleared Worsham will end up being screwed pretty good by the scamdown. That car has really picked up over the past few races (2 semi finals and 1 runner up) in the last 4 races and although he wouldn't have won the championship under the old system he might have been able to gain a few more positions. Ending the year strong and finishing in 6th would have been a lot better than the 9th place he is currently in.
Exactly!!

The Crapdown to the Championship totally screws any driver outside the Top Eight from a possible late season charge where they score enough points to move up several positions!!

Whats wrong w/ a little change? The old system was the same ole song and dance...The other way was getting boring as in most cases the pro winners were decided before Vegas/Pomona...
This makes it interesting for the fans that are not die-hards like most here...
I get bored w/ the same routine every year so this change was something to talk about for myself...
And how are any of these racers getting screwed?
They get to drag race for a living, that's it, they have reached their ultimate goal...What more can a person ask for?

. Does Fuller really deserve to be the Champion just because the Army Team got off to a slow start, that's the only way he got the huge points lead? Does Greg Anderson really deserve to be the Champion just because it took Cagnazzi the first part of the season to get it right?

[/SIZE]........................

Um, yes. If the teams earned the points to be in the lead they do deserve to win the championship, regardless of when they were earned.

By your rational, NHRA should just make the first six or so events the "preseason" and not have anyone earn points, that way everyone would have a chance to get their programs together; just like the stick and ball sports.:rolleyes:

Whats wrong w/ a little change? The old system was the same ole song and dance...The other way was getting boring as in most cases the pro winners were decided before Vegas/Pomona...
This makes it interesting for the fans that are not die-hards like most here...
I get bored w/ the same routine every year so this change was something to talk about for myself...
And how are any of these racers getting screwed?
They get to drag race for a living, that's it, they have reached their ultimate goal...What more can a person ask for?
Great reply Terry.
Um, yes. If the teams earned the points to be in the lead they do deserve to win the championship, regardless of when they were earned.

By your rational, NHRA should just make the first six or so events the "preseason" and not have anyone earn points, that way everyone would have a chance to get their programs together; just like the stick and ball sports.:rolleyes:
By your rational, everyone should be screaming and crying when the Indy Colts go all season undefeated only to lose in their first playoff game. They should be the REAL Champions because they won the most games, right. :rolleyes:

Hey, it's the playoffs, better bring your A game!

Great reply Terry. By your rational, everyone should be screaming and crying when the Indy Colts go all season undefeated only to lose in their first playoff game. They should be the REAL Champions because they won the most games, right. :rolleyes:

Hey, it's the playoffs, better bring your A game!

You have bested me.

Now just explain to me why NHRA Drag Racing, a single elimination competition with durations of less than eight seconds in the professional categories, needs to emulate any other form of competition. By design you "bring your A game" every time you stage the car. You don't have the luxury of multiple periods, overtime or cautions.

PS your NFL strawman argument doesn't really work, it would if I was posting on the NFL site in praise of the swithcing to a different points system.

Last edited:
And another thing, this thread has a huge hole in it. How many teams went into test mode because they knew that they only needed to make the top 8 by Indy. The points up until Indy is the real farce. Tracking this is a total waste of effort.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back