NHRA Championship Points (old style) Virginia (1 Viewer)

Chili

Nitro Member
Here we go again. We would have one great duel between Anderson and Connolly. As for the others, they Could be clinched in Vegas.

Top Fuel.........................Pts Back
1-Fuller...................1470 ------
2-Dixon...................1373 (-97)
3-Bernstein..............1302 (-168)
4-Schumacher..........1296 (-174)
5-Todd....................1133 (-337)
6-Vandergriff............1087
7-Troxel...................1083
8-Herbert.................1001
9-Bazemore...............989
10-Grubnic................940
11-McClenathan.........923
12-Kalitta.................917
13-Will.....................849
14-Millican................785
15-Lucas..................666

Funny Car........................Pts Back
1-Capps....................1326--------
2-Hight.....................1259 (-67)
3-T. Pedregon............1225 (-101)
4-Scelzi.....................1158 (-168)
5-Beckman.................1128 (-198)
6-Force.....................1093 (-233)
7-Ashley....................1076 (-250)
8-Worsham.................966
9-Johnson Jr...............896
10-Head.....................885
11-Bernstein...............859
12-C. Pedregon...........844
13-Arend...................824
14-A. Force................815
15-Wilkerson...............799

Pro Stock.........................Pts Back
1-Anderson.................1745 -------
2-Connolly..................1717 (-28)
3-Coughlin..................1427 (-318)
4-A. Johnson...............1194 (-551)
5-Line........................1138
6-K. Johnson...............1090
7-Stevens....................948
8-Morgan.....................937
9-Gaines......................922
10-W. Johnson..............895
11-Yates.....................830
12-Naylor....................745
13-Stanfield.................719
14-Koretsky.................681

I'm interested if some of you smart guru's could figure it out, where Melanie Troxel would be, had she been in the countdown, and beat Morgan Lucas. Anyone?

I'd rather wait 'till the very last race :eek:

Nobody mentions AT ALL the racers that mention that they love the new system, notably Capps.

I'm liking this just fine.

Usually once a Championship is locked up in a class, my interest diminishes by at least half.

So I think its good, others are squirming;)

Oh well.................:)

REX

Rex don't be afooled at what is said in front of the camera vs what is said behind it.
Racers have filled protest over this system and complained hard to the powers that be behind the scenes. Fuller, Anderson, WJ and Tony S have actually had the stones to make comments about it on air.

What I have hated is how drivers/owners opinions keep changing. Ones there were against it but then benefit by it so now its ok. It's either good or bad, right or wrong.

The whole thing sucks and I can't wait for the season to end....I've never thought that before.:mad:

In the latest National Dragster, where they have the schedules printed out, they have the 2007 schedule broken down into the three countdown segememts, but for 2008 they have the schedule as one big list, with no reference to countdown segments. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, maybe this is wishful thinking, but regardless this is how it was printed in the latest issue of ND.

I'm interested if some of you smart guru's could figure it out, where Melanie Troxel would be, had she been in the countdown, and beat Morgan Lucas. Anyone?

Even if she beat Lucas, she would of had to beat Grubnic in the second round without lane choice so we will never know. However she has earned 317 points since the countdown began which would of put her just behind Dixon (2nd place). A lot of if's since there would of been a lot more pressure than they are facing now.

In the latest National Dragster, where they have the schedules printed out, they have the 2007 schedule broken down into the three countdown segememts, but for 2008 they have the schedule as one big list, with no reference to countdown segments. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, maybe this is wishful thinking, but regardless this is how it was printed in the latest issue of ND.

I saw that too and was very hopeful. I do hope that they are wise enough to go back to the true system next year. I'll even take back what I've said about them and I'd even take back the flee curse ;)

The whole thing sucks and I can't wait for the season to end....I've never thought that before.:mad:

I couldn't agree more, this has been one of the worst seasons in recent memory, from the Force and Medlen accidents, to the track prep issues, to the Saturday smokefests this season has seemed like a bad dream. If ever the NHRA wanted to get the "chase" idea out of their system this was the year to do it. Who would have thought at this point of the season that the best of the year would have been Phoenix? Bring on Pomona 2008, where there will be 90%.

Trust me, the Countdown will be back next year, you guys are in the monority. Funny Car was awesome to watch all weekend, and I'm sure in a few weeks in Pomona it will be twice the drama..................in all 4 classes!:p

Just as Rex stated, much better than years gone by!

Usually once a Championship is locked up in a class, my interest diminishes by at least half.

So I think its good, others are squirming;)

Oh well.................:)

REX

....and another thing, everyone has cried and cried about people coming in and stealing a Championship. Look at all of the classes above, and they all have the right 4 cars in the final 4............except it will be a shootout for it all!:eek:

Last edited:
NO ITS NOT THE RIGHT 4.

The right 1 is who has the most points this season. Capps just about needed a hail mary to get in, despite having tallied more pints then anyone this season.

Connolly would be making one of the greatest comebacks ever as he'd only be down 28 points. Now its been a yawner knowing that they were only going to be 10 points apart. The championship means squat this year unless the rightful people win it.

minority...I think you'd be surprised. As I've pointed to repeatedly look at nascar and how far their numbers have dropped since their chase started.
Ask around the pits, ask fans. You'll find it roughly 70-30 against the scamdown.

NO ITS NOT THE RIGHT 4.

The right 1 is who has the most points this season. Capps just about needed a hail mary to get in, despite having tallied more pints then anyone this season.

Connolly would be making one of the greatest comebacks ever as he'd only be down 28 points. Now its been a yawner knowing that they were only going to be 10 points apart. The championship means squat this year unless the rightful people win it...............................................
PJ, go back and look at the list up top of this thread, all 3 classes above have the same top 4 in each class Countdown.

Yes, the rules of the game have changed. And yes, Capps needed a Hail Mary to get in because, Ace spelled it out yesterday, they changed the way they played the game also, BUT, they made the wrong changes. Since when are watching Hail Mary's boring?? Everyone was on the edge of their seats every lap Capps made yesterday! Anyone that says watching the Funny Car class unfold this weekend was boring is in denial.

Connelly is STILL making on of the biggest comebacks in Pro Stock racing, and everyone associated with that class knows it. He made a little bit of history for his self yesterday with 5 in a row! Still could make it to 6 or 7 in a row, that's awesome stuff regardless of the Championship.

Trust me, NASCAR's numbers have not dropped because of the Chase. NASCAR built the hype for their sport so much in the last 10 years, that everyone wanted to be part of it. NASCAR's numbers have dropped because the hype of the sport has worn off. It's just not the in thing any longer like it was. Everyone that I know who used to follow the sport so fanatically don't do so as much, and it has nothing to do with the Chase. True race fans still watch all the races, casual fans just peek in from time to time........
.................The championship means squat this year unless the rightful people win it.......................
I guarantee you that whoever wins it this year will have earned it, with all of the added pressure from the Countdown, it will be the hardest Championship that anyone of them has ever earned...........................much harder than outspending the competition all season long.

Last edited:
PJ, go back and look at the list up top of this thread, all 3 classes above have the same top 4 in each class Countdown.

Yes, the rules of the game have changed. And yes, Capps needed a Hail Mary to get in because, Ace spelled it out yesterday, they changed the way they played the game also, BUT, they made the wrong changes. Since when are watching Hail Mary's boring?? Everyone was on the edge of their seats every lap Capps made yesterday! Anyone that says watching the Funny Car class unfold this weekend was boring is in denial.

Connelly is STILL making on of the biggest comebacks in Pro Stock racing, and everyone associated with that class knows it. He made a little bit of history for his self yesterday with 5 in a row! Still could make it to 6 or 7 in a row, that's awesome stuff regardless of the Championship.

Trust me, NASCAR's numbers have not dropped because of the Chase. NASCAR built the hype for their sport so much in the last 10 years, that everyone wanted to be part of it. NASCAR's numbers have dropped because the hype of the sport has worn off. It's just not the in thing any longer like it was. Everyone that I know who used to follow the sport so fanatically don't do so as much, and it has nothing to do with the Chase. True race fans still watch all the races, casual fans just peek in from time to time........I guarantee you that whoever wins it this year will have earned it, with all of the added pressure from the Countdown, it will be the hardest Championship that anyone of them has ever earned...........................much harder than outspending the competition all season long.

Holy Crap I couldn't disagree with this more.

Nascar numbers have dropped. You can claim it has nothing do due with the chase but they were growing before it started and now they are shrinking. Their chase, like the countdown, was started to increase "excitied" and to keep people watching. Now I would imagine that there are other issues that are leading to their declining numbers but to just discount the affect of the chase.

I take it that means if the chase numbers can be so quickly tossed out that IF there is an increase in numbers for nhra that we can say the countdown and no effect on it? Of course juding by the empty seats I saw at Indy I'd be shocked if any numbers were up. We've also seen the Army drop 2/3 of thier support, CSK has dropped 1/2 and Valvoline has stepped back to an associate level sponsor. Does this have anything to due with countdown fallout who knows.

When someone is given points twice throughout the season to catch up to the leaders you honestly feel that they deserve the title. I hate to use anyones name but lets look at Pro Stock. If AJ were to win it, would you really think he was #1. Yes he has had a good year, but all he needs is 2 good races now and it will wipe away the great seasons that Anderson and Connolly have had.

Matt Smith has been the best all year and should be hoping to lock up his first title in Vegas but now he has to worry about 3 others who can swipe his title away. The countdown has made the season worthless.

And no I can guarantee you that not everyone was on the edge of their seats watching funny car. It was like watching a man everyone knows is innocent being executed. We all know Capps should be #1 in points, yet becuase nhra thinks that people are simpletons and need fake drama added he damn near was robbed of the title again...and still could be.

here's why I hate the new point system...

Top Fuel's Doug Kalitta finally started getting a little traction on a mediocre year with a defeat of Melanie Troxel in the final, but since neither driver is in the Countdown, the real story was Brandon Bernstein's first round defeat of Bob Vandergriff, Jr. The win put the Bud Prince into the group of final four who have two more races to decide the championship; Bernstein, Larry Dixon, Rod Fuller and Tony Schumacher.

that is crap...a race win doesn't mean squat 'cause the drivers involved are in the "count down"
I mean, it's like who cares who wins races? it's all about who wins the most rounds, so why even bother with having different events...just run 4 rounds every couple weeks and after a few months call somebody a champion :rolleyes:

Lance, have you seen this video? NHRA explains the countdown. Who could possibly understand this? You would have to watch the races with the specifics written on a sheet of paper so you could keep up with it.

Countdown Specifics

Holy Crap I couldn't disagree with this more.

Nascar numbers have dropped. You can claim it has nothing do due with the chase but they were growing before it started and now they are shrinking. Their chase, like the countdown, was started to increase "excitied" and to keep people watching. Now I would imagine that there are other issues that are leading to their declining numbers but to just discount the affect of the chase.
I take it that means if the chase numbers can be so quickly tossed out that IF there is an increase in numbers for nhra that we can say the countdown and no effect on it? Of course juding by the empty seats I saw at Indy I'd be shocked if any numbers were up. We've also seen the Army drop 2/3 of thier support, CSK has dropped 1/2 and Valvoline has stepped back to an associate level sponsor. Does this have anything to due with countdown fallout who knows.

Absolutely agree with you here.........."Who Knows?"
The housing market is in a slump, cost of living is up, energy prices fluctuating, the dollar is doing horribly abroad, and a $50 dollar bill has the spending power that a $20 had ten years ago. That could also have a impact :eek:

When someone is given points twice throughout the season to catch up to the leaders you honestly feel that they deserve the title. I hate to use anyones name but lets look at Pro Stock. If AJ were to win it, would you really think he was #1. Yes he has had a good year, but all he needs is 2 good races now and it will wipe away the great seasons that Anderson and Connolly have had.

Thems wuz da' rulz all along this year.
Don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen.
I think its OK because nobody twisted anyone's arms here.
They knew it comin' in.................

Matt Smith has been the best all year and should be hoping to lock up his first title in Vegas but now he has to worry about 3 others who can swipe his title away. The countdown has made the season worthless.

That is your opinion, I will consider the one crowned in Pomona the champ.
That is my opinion, no less, no more than yours:)

And no I can guarantee you that not everyone was on the edge of their seats watching funny car

I thought it was rather exciting. Just that pesky opinion stuff again;)

It was like watching a man everyone knows is innocent being executed. We all know Capps should be #1 in points, yet becuase nhra thinks that people are simpletons and we need fake drama added he damn near was robbed of the title again...and still could be.

I sense the "drama" right here in this post.
I am enjoying the Countdown and JMO (again) I really do not consider myself a "simpleton":cool:

An Ass from time to time but that is another story............

REX

Last edited:
don't worry, next year you will see subtle changes in how the races
are viewed and reported during the last 1/3 of season.
can't get it all rite the first time around.

i also think nascar peaked a few years ago, then dale sr. passed away.
you don't think one man makes that much difference? i'd beg to differ.
their new points deal is definitely an attempt to retain their audience;
as lance stated, 'the real race fan still watches every week, the casual
fan every once in a while'.
so i would argue nascar is using altered points to retain while nhra is
doing the same to gain. who's rite? i would think both; both are trying
to not be stagnate.

Lance, have you seen this video? NHRA explains the countdown. Who could possibly understand this? You would have to watch the races with the specifics written on a sheet of paper so you could keep up with it.

Countdown Specifics

In All Honesty... I went to see a Drag Race over the Weekend... I went to see Robert win, or Teach... I went to see Melanie or Hillary win...

Don't get me wrong, I'd have been happy If Mike had won, or Ron or Scott... or Dixon and Grubby

And I'm happy Doug K won... I'm happy Gary won...

And IT's NOT about points... It's about seeing people I like winning... The Points are about being the best All year... It's a performance bonus... and to be out front... I'd like to see Robert run the table at V2 and P2...

nascar numbers may be down partly due to the marketing solely to the youth market strategy and are now finding out how fickle that crowd can be.

In All Honesty... I went to see a Drag Race over the Weekend... I went to see Robert win, or Teach... I went to see Melanie or Hillary win...

Don't get me wrong, I'd have been happy If Mike had won, or Ron or Scott... or Dixon and Grubby

And I'm happy Doug K won... I'm happy Gary won...

And IT's NOT about points... It's about seeing people I like winning... The Points are about being the best All year... It's a performance bonus... and to be out front... I'd like to see Robert run the table at V2 and P2...

I enjoy watching all of them race Karl. I usually stay at the track and will start wandering about on Thur evening. I get to talk to a lot of them one at a time without a crowd. I'm rooting for GA but I have raced at the Snowbirds National with DC. He's a decent guy and I wouldn't sit around depressed if Greg lost and Dave won, or Jeg, or Allen.

But, this post is about the points. The countdown sucks!! It's just not right.

Ok, no offense to anyone, but seriously, anyone who can sit here and argue that the new system is fair is just plain STUPID! And honestly, I feel no need to explain myself on this conclusion, because if your dumb enough to actually believe that the system is fair, then you certainly are not smart enough to understand my logic.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back