NHRA Championship Points (old style) Virginia (1 Viewer)

Thems wuz da' rulz all along this year.
Don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen.
I think its OK because nobody twisted anyone's arms here.
They knew it comin' in.................

REX

Nobody's arm was twisted? Don't like the heat get out of the kitchen?

You don't consider that arm twisting?

Here are the new rules, we don't want your opinion about the new rules and if you don't like them you can give up racing, the way you make a living....and that's OK with you. It looks like a lot of arm twisting to me.

Wow...I'll be dammed...the old point system and the COUNTDOWN GOT (1) Right... Beckman is in 5th place in both!

My Take on the "COUNTDOWN" is simple. NHRA Needed something to spark some "MEDIA" interest in Their Product, BRING IN NEW PEOPLE AND DEMOGRAPHICS TO DRAG RACING, and provide some "DRAMA" towards the end of the season. The COUNTDOWN is simply put..JUST THAT!!!! A Media Story! But, here is the problem...NO BODY IS LISTENING! The COUNTDOWN to (8) Did create some "Drama", who's gonna get in....who won't...Who Should have...Who Didn't....And it created talk in SUPRISE...CHAT ROOMS AND DRAG RACING FORUMS! The "COUNTDOWN" is not fair to those who were on top of the standings, but Ask Tony Pedregon, Gary Scelzi, Tony Schumacher, Allen Johnson, Jeg Coughlin, Peggy Lewellyn, Brandon Bernstein, and Chip Ellis what they think of the possiblilty of winning a powerade championship having to only make up a round or two in the last two races of the year! Do you think any of them will PROTEST their Championship????? MAKE A STATEMENT AND NOT ACCEPT THAT BONUS CHECK FOR $400K??? Or that Trophy??? Or The Ring??? Or the Prestige??? NOT A SNOWBALLS CHANCE IN HELL FOLKS! But what did Bring NHRA to the PUBLIC EYE towards the end of the season????
1) ASHELY FORCE-VOTED AOL's HOTTEST ATHLETE/ And Jay Leno Appearance.
2) JOHN FORCE ACCIDENT IN TEXAS, and AMAZINGLY HOW HE SURVIVED!
3) THE DEATH OF WALLY PARKS:(

What Brought DRAG RACING TO THE PUBLIC EYE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON?
1) The Tragic Death Of Eric Medlen:(
2) The Troy Critchley accident in Selmer, Tn:mad:

....But the "COUNTDOWN TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP" did not get all that much airtime, EXCEPT FOR THE NHRA BROADCASTS ON ESPN2.

Does Ron Capps, Rod Fuller, Greg Anderson, and Matt Smith have a legitimate Gripe if they don't win the championship....TO AN EXTENT YES! But, the countdown did not just happen in the middle of the season. They all knew it was coming. Is the system Flawed??? Perhaps! Does Drag Racing on the NHRA Level need to copy Nascar....HELL NO! But, Nascar is putting BILLIONS in their Bank accounts. Even for a "NON PROFIT" organization like NHRA, it's all about the "DOLLAR BILLZ".

I don't know what the solution to the countdown SITUATION IS. Getting rid of it, is not gonna happen! You can sign every petition in the world, even have a presidential order by BUSH...but It would still go on! Perhaps the only solution is if you can't live with the countdown, and CHANGE Scares you, then the IHRA Forum may be in your future! When I checked it today...It had (1) Veiwer! NHRA's had 105!

PJ Tell me this. If NHRA does not go ahead and get rid of the countdown, are you going to stop watching???? Will you BOYCOTT NHRA EVENTS and Not attend? If you make a stand, and do exactly that...Do you really think NHRA is gonna miss you? Or any of those who bolt? Answer....Not a snowballs Chance in Glendora!
It's a sad fact, but true none the less. Like it or not folks...The Countdown to the Championship is here to stay. It may be Revised..But, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon!

I don't care who wins the championship's this year, the countdown is crap, and needs to be flushed down the toilet, along with Tom "alky" Compton, and Graham "dim" Light, they are running the nhra into the ground.:mad:

Wow...I'll be dammed...the old point system and the COUNTDOWN GOT (1) Right... Beckman is in 5th place in both!

My Take on the "COUNTDOWN" is simple. NHRA Needed something to spark some "MEDIA" interest in Their Product, BRING IN NEW PEOPLE AND DEMOGRAPHICS TO DRAG RACING, and provide some "DRAMA" towards the end of the season. The COUNTDOWN is simply put..JUST THAT!!!! A Media Story! But, here is the problem...NO BODY IS LISTENING! The COUNTDOWN to (8) Did create some "Drama", who's gonna get in....who won't...Who Should have...Who Didn't....And it created talk in SUPRISE...CHAT ROOMS AND DRAG RACING FORUMS! The "COUNTDOWN" is not fair to those who were on top of the standings, but Ask Tony Pedregon, Gary Scelzi, Tony Schumacher, Allen Johnson, Jeg Coughlin, Peggy Lewellyn, Brandon Bernstein, and Chip Ellis what they think of the possiblilty of winning a powerade championship having to only make up a round or two in the last two races of the year! Do you think any of them will PROTEST their Championship????? MAKE A STATEMENT AND NOT ACCEPT THAT BONUS CHECK FOR $400K??? Or that Trophy??? Or The Ring??? Or the Prestige??? NOT A SNOWBALLS CHANCE IN HELL FOLKS! But what did Bring NHRA to the PUBLIC EYE towards the end of the season????
1) ASHELY FORCE-VOTED AOL's HOTTEST ATHLETE/ And Jay Leno Appearance.
2) JOHN FORCE ACCIDENT IN TEXAS, and AMAZINGLY HOW HE SURVIVED!
3) THE DEATH OF WALLY PARKS

What Brought DRAG RACING TO THE PUBLIC EYE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON?
1) The Tragic Death Of Eric Medlen
2) The Troy Critchley accident in Selmer, Tn

....But the "COUNTDOWN TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP" did not get all that much airtime, EXCEPT FOR THE NHRA BROADCASTS ON ESPN2.

Does Ron Capps, Rod Fuller, Greg Anderson, and Matt Smith have a legitimate Gripe if they don't win the championship....TO AN EXTENT YES! But, the countdown did not just happen in the middle of the season. They all knew it was coming. Is the system Flawed??? Perhaps! Does Drag Racing on the NHRA Level need to copy Nascar....HELL NO! But, Nascar is putting BILLIONS in their Bank accounts. Even for a "NON PROFIT" organization like NHRA, it's all about the "DOLLAR BILLZ".

I don't know what the solution to the countdown SITUATION IS. Getting rid of it, is not gonna happen! You can sign every petition in the world, even have a presidential order by BUSH...but It would still go on! Perhaps the only solution is if you can't live with the countdown, and CHANGE Scares you, then the IHRA Forum may be in your future! When I checked it today...It had (1) Veiwer! NHRA's had 105!

PJ Tell me this. If NHRA does not go ahead and get rid of the countdown, are you going to stop watching???? Will you BOYCOTT NHRA EVENTS and Not attend? If you make a stand, and do exactly that...Do you really think NHRA is gonna miss you? Or any of those who bolt? Answer....Not a snowballs Chance in Glendora!
It's a sad fact, but true none the less. Like it or not folks...The Countdown to the Championship is here to stay. It may be Revised..But, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon!

Actually that would be my solution if I was so unhappy.

I'd STOP WATCHING!!! :eek: Heck, this ain't the only HRA in town.

Everyone Hates the NHRA/new system but they can't stop their fascination with it good or bad.

Some one/team will win the trophy.

And there will be glee, if they were in first when the countdown began or eighth.

I actually know people other than me that like the format as it is now :eek::eek:

And I refuse to get upset over this whether or not the Countdown stays or goes.

I have been a fan and occasional participant for 40 years.

I have always loved this sport, the Countdown has not nor will ever diminish that.

So all of you that are so upset, don't watch the last two races.

Some of you have said it......it means "nothing" to you.

If something means nothing to me I lose interest and pay no attention at all.

You can all get upset with me and my comments. No one would ever accuse me of running a popularity contest or minding whether or not I had the minority opinion in a group.
Neither could I care if I were at the bottom of the "pig pile" but I certainly would never want to be on top.

Man up and Boycott the last two events.

that is the way I see it.:)

REX

I have watched less then half of the last 7 or 8 races and qualifying shows. Before If I didn't watch it when it was on I would at least tape it to watch later.

I did let my TEC tickets go at Indy and had not planned on going as a protest. Some surprise gifted tickets from Glendora and a possible media meeting did however change that.

On the bright side since I have been digusted by countdown and paying less attention to nhra. I have found myself paying more attention to other drag racing circuits. I went to an nmca race and was very impressed. I have 2 IHRA national events within 2 hours, plus I've just been to the local track on regular weekends. I have not given up on nhra yet, I still hope that they will come around. But I have seen that there is life and racing beyond nhra. I am willing to leave and take the money I pay for tickets to several nationals each year and the support I give to sponsors for both my personal business as well as the purchases I make as the purchasing manager where I work and head off down the road to find a sanctioning body that believes points should be awarded on the track.

It is not what I want, and I realize they could give a crap about losing one fan (especially me:D) but that is an option that I see as a last resort.

I'm hopeful this off season will bring changes that are postive to the sport.

Lance, have you seen this video? NHRA explains the countdown. Who could possibly understand this? You would have to watch the races with the specifics written on a sheet of paper so you could keep up with it...........
Is it really any different than watching the NFL in week 16 and 17 of the regular season trying to figure out who will make the last Wildcard spots?:confused: Millions and millions watch that and seem to have no problem with it.

My expectation is that NHRA historically has always crowned the best driver as their champion for that season.

Other sports can not claim that now neither can we.

Lance that makes absolutely no sense, it is completely different... First off, in the NFL, once a team is eliminated, they are done, they cant come back and ruin someone elses chances... second, they play for one game, the super bowl, which consists of 2 teams, there isnt 14 other teams there that could get lucky and knock you out of your chance of winning... so YES, there is a huge difference, there are still 16 cars, a playoff format means teams being eliminated so you can come down to the 2 best teams, you want to make it like the nfl then I guess there should only be the top 4 cars show up at Vegas and Pomona

Lance that makes absolutely no sense, it is completely different... First off, in the NFL, once a team is eliminated, they are done, they cant come back and ruin someone elses chances... second, they play for one game, the super bowl, which consists of 2 teams, there isnt 14 other teams there that could get lucky and knock you out of your chance of winning... so YES, there is a huge difference, there are still 16 cars, a playoff format means teams being eliminated so you can come down to the 2 best teams, you want to make it like the nfl then I guess there should only be the top 4 cars show up at Vegas and Pomona
Well, I guess to quote you then Steve,
"you certainly are not smart enough to understand my logic".

I wasn't comparing the Countdown to the NFL Playoffs. I was comparing how hard (or not) it was to keep track of all the different scenereos, tie breakers, etc., and what it would take for a certain team to possibly make it into the playoffs..........or Countdown in this case.

Once again, millions and millions watch the NFL unfold and seem to have no problem with it.

But once again Lance, they have no problem with it because it comes down to 2 teams, just as I explained before. They arent playing for a points system, they are playing to get into the playoffs, and they know when there, once they knock out a team they dont have to worry about them coming back. And once they make the playoffs, they still have the same record, the team with the better record gets home field advantage, etc, they dont get their points taken away so some other guy can go on a lucky streak. Like I said before, the reason people have no problem with it is because it isnt some welfare charity system, its all about coming down to 2 teams, who play for the championship in the end with nobody else to worry about, not 16 teams with only 4 having the chance to win.

please, if the new points upsets anyone that much, feel free to
attend any of the other multitude of drag racing series throughout
this country.
i don't think fans will walk away from the nhra because they changed
a rule or two; they will complain but keep coming back because whether
they realize it or not, what keeps them coming back to the nhra is
the drivers / owners / sponsors; and don't think it's any different
over at nascar.
i think the nhra is finally starting to display it's personalities just as well
as they've always displayed horsepower.
i don't think gary's back next year just because someone's
flying him to a few races.

Ok, no offense to anyone, but seriously, anyone who can sit here and argue..................is just plain STUPID!
And honestly, I feel no need to explain myself on this conclusion, because if your dumb enough.............then you certainly are not smart enough to understand my logic.
Once again it went right over your head. The jokes on you dude! ;)

How is the joke on me? Because you havent come up with a good enough reason to backup what your saying? I havent heard anyone, especially you, come up with a good reason as to how it is fair. And its evidentally over your head or you would simply come up with a good reason and quit beating around the bush. All I stated was what you said made no sense, in either aspect that you tried to explain it in, and it doesnt.

The fabricated drama of the countdown sucks, I always thought the cars were the stars, I just like to watch racing not this other bs

steve, what lance is trying to convey to you is that playoff systems
of other sports have complexities very much the same as the new
nhra points deal - he is NOT saying the NFL playoffs = the NHRA countdown.
again, there are countless scenarios that inevitably produce the final
playoff teams in other sports, the same as at reading and richmond this
year in the nhra.

How is the joke on me? Because you havent come up with a good enough reason to backup what your saying?....................
Okay Steve, perhaps I'll slow it down for you. Just keep in mind that reading really is fundamental in all of this!

Robert posted this: http://www.nitromater.com/98734-post14.html

After I watched his video link, I replied to Robert (with a quote mind you) with this: http://www.nitromater.com/98867-post26.html

Then you replied to it all with this out of context post that really had nothing to do with the point that Robert was initially trying to make: http://www.nitromater.com/98881-post28.html

So I politely tried to get you on the same page that we were on: http://www.nitromater.com/98893-post29.html

........after your next reply, I just figured that your own quotes suited you perfectly.........;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back