Lets fix the problem with the wheels flying off... (1 Viewer)

It doesn't even have to be a rule change they are probably working on fixing it right now when something fails and it shouldnt of you figure out why it happened and fix it. Its like Dale Armstrong once said "You find a weak spot here and weak spot there and you look at it and think how can we cure that"

Infact theres an old interview on drag racing online where in the late 80's Dale Armstrong say that he tried a super wide wheel and tire for the purpose of curing tire shake. The interview says it was a 18 inch wide beadlock wheel but nhra banned it and then later let everyone run beadlocks.

Find out what's causing wheel failures and make a rule change! Why is that so hard? This happened at 100' off the line, 300 MPH had NOTHING to do with this!

Exactly to the first part of your answer.
Find the root cause of that failure. And it may have been only 100 ft but that car was a buckin and a rockin in that 100 feet. Watch the frame by frame of that ride.

Not pointed at you Joe...
Comparing all of the wheel off situations listed in this thread are any of them of the same conditions and end result failure? (nope)

Just throwing things up or brainstorming is good to come up with ideas. And is where some damn good ideas come from. But at this time those ideas may only mask or even make the problem worse if implemented. Mfgr's and teams need to know what exactly the root cause is. Then it can be fixed and fixed right the first time. (certain recalls come to mind here)

And as some of the folks who have been out there know and have stated we need to know what to fix, to fix it, and to fix it right.

And I'll stand with Virgil and others out there on slowing it down and even maybe being able to go back to 1,320. The restrictor plate idea has been discussed for well over 5 years. (have some scars on that one) Easy to police and issue at every event. Fuel line restrictor same way. 4 discs as well a good idea.

If it has air, fuel, and spark it will run, just limit one, some or all to control.

Is/are there any reasons why or anyone who would not like 300 plus runs sub 5 seconds at 1,320 ft? Or did fuel racing really suck that bad mid to late 90's?

I agree. The last thing I want to do is watch a race through a fence. Imagine all the neat photos you could get through a fence? :mad: And how high do you make this fence? Those tires bounce pretty high. And parts don't always go straight away from the car. Many times they go up and down at sharp angles. A fence would be useless in that case.
Fences would really suck because as the cars proceed down the track, you'd see less and less of the car since the fence posts get closer and closer to each other the further away from you that you're looking. If you've ever gone to an NHL hockey game and sat along the glass, or attended a Nascar/Indy race at the Brickyard, you'll know what I'm talking about. There's a reason NASCAR built many of their tracks in the shape of a tri-oval; to keep the cars away from the side when going by the main grandstand so the fan can actually see them. Try seeing a race at the Brickyard, quite possibly the worst place anywhere to watch a race because of the long front straightaway. Because of the fenceposts, you can't see crap unless the cars are directly in front of you.

Dumb question: Is titanium a problem? Or THE problem? I know it's very light but I also thought it was very strong.

Does anybody have any idea how often teams change out the wheel studs ?
I read earlier that 300 mph doesn't have anything to do with it, that may not be true at all. How many cycles or laps etc. is the max for studs.
I've read that some teams never change them unless the threads are damaged.
We change everything else about these cars at some interval. How about looking at that instead of redesigning it all to make it DUMBER !!!

Stop looking at the end of the journey and start looking at the journey itself.

Dumb question: Is titanium a problem? Or THE problem? I know it's very light but I also thought it was very strong.
Excellent question!!

I do know that certain grades of Ti are very susceptible to cleaning solutions and other metals that comes in contact with.

I also know that certain cutting tools don't agree with certain grades of Ti.

Don't know which grade of Ti is being used but my experiences with Ti are that to stay clear from using it if you don't how it is being manufactured, mounted or being cleaned.

From section 17.7 of the 2010 NHRA Rulebook:
Front wheels meeting SFI Spec 15.2 mandatory. Beadlock 16-inch
rear wheels meeting SFI Spec 15.3 mandatory; inner bead
minimum 14 3/4 inches (+/- 1/8-inch). Wire wheels prohibited. Rearwheel
discs or covers prohibited. Wheels must conform to
applicable tire-manufacturer requirements. Minimum diameter on
front wheels 17 inches. Any modifications and/or lightening
prohibited. Titanium wheel studs prohibited.

Thanks for the response Paul, BTW, I went to your site and saw the videos of your altered fired up. Looking good!!

Thanks for the response Paul, BTW, I went to your site and saw the videos of your altered fired up. Looking good!!
Nunzio, thanks and it is getting there.

I was out of work for over 7 months so the car had to sit. Now I'm a making a few bucks again so I will start working on it soon.

I'm planning to fire the motor-up again in a couple of weeks so tell your dad to come on by and get a methanol fix!

Yeah Paul those race cars tend to want a constant diet of the greenbacks! :D I will update my dad, and tell him to come by.

Is/are there any reasons why or anyone who would not like 300 plus runs sub 5 seconds at 1,320 ft? Or did fuel racing really suck that bad mid to late 90's?

great question.

and 300mph didn't have any effect? yeah it did- setting the cars up to go 315 mph at 1000' is insane.

they've taken the energy they used to use over a 1/4 mile and compressed it into 1000' . they are just going faster in a shorter distance than they used to .
it's not rocket science.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back