1000 ft. tracks (1 Viewer)

The drivers/owners and NHRA should come to an agreement on suitable track length, including shutdown areas. If a track cannot fit the specs, well good night.
I don't think the length of the track would be an issue if they would develop a safe way to stop the cars in the sand trap... and configure the sand trap in a way that would prevent the cars from colliding with a solid object.

They need to do something with the netting too. I keep thinking about how the net is only about 3 feet high. It needs to be about 20 feet high to prevent the "tripping" effect like Del Worsham experienced at Pomona.

A standard configuration sand trap with a tall net that could "capture" a car could do a lot to solve some of the problems.

1000 ft is a waste of time.Leave it at 1320.For those of you who have really raced,you'll know what I'm talking about.
I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about!!

The idea that 1/4 mile is some sort of holy grail, set in stone requirement is beyond most racers.

Believe it or not, there is probably just as much (or more) 1/8th mile racing going on in this country than there is 1/4 mile.

Last edited:

The idea that 1/4 mile is some sort of holy grail, set in stone requirement is beyond most racers.

Believe it or not, there is probably just as much (or more) 1/8th mile racing going on in this country than there is 1/4 mile.

I agree with you Greg. And I also contend that you probably know more about the subject than I do (being serious). But it's still time for the NHRA/owners/drivers to get together and say what is OK and not OK for track length.

I agree with you Greg. And I also contend that you probably know more about the subject than I do (being serious). But it's still time for the NHRA/owners/drivers to get together and say what is OK and not OK for track length.
No argument there! There are a lot of possibilities to consider.

I believe multiple solutions are available and are necessary.

First: No concrete or solid barriers at the end of the sand trap. No trees or bushes either.
Second: Better and longer sand traps. Loose pea gravel. Let the cars sink in. Better catch net design that won’t allow the cars to go over the top.
Third: If you change it to 1000 ft. that would leave you with an additional 200 – 320 ft. of sand trap, your choice. With the same amount of paved shut down as before.
Fourth: Better chutes. Automatically activated when there is a boomer. With longer fireproof shroud line covers that get the chute out of the fire.
Fifth: When a driver is no longer able to engage his own braking system have it activated automatically. (this one is tougher to get designed and will take some more time)

The first four are easily taken care of right now.
Just my thoughts.

The common fan knows 1320 racing,and there are alot of common fans who arent at the 660 tracks every weekend duking it out for points. So yes i think the sport would be hurt with shorter tracks. Drag racing in the limelight has always been known as a quarter mile.

Legthen the shut down areas where possible,and get it to where the chutes work EVERY run and i think we'd be good to go.

Yes a few drivers have undeservingly lost their lives,the chance is ALWAYS there for a tragedy no matter if you're doing 330 or 50 in your family car,but the sport itself is pretty damn safe if you ask me.

Sorry,
How long Was Pappy's place at Santa Anna?

Been with cars running on 1/5, 1/8, 1/4... 500ft, 750 ft... still had people in the stands.

d'kid

I kinda feel like others, if we run 1000 feet, the cars will have 900 foot wicks. But I agree with those that say the older tracks need to have the shutdown area lengthened as needed. Or perhaps slope the sand upward, so they somewhat plow into the kitty litter. And catch nets should be much taller. The military has nets that will catch jet fighters, let's borrow the idea from them.

Just my .02

I suppose if you promote it right you could get people to a 60' race.... But it would'nt be good for a national event would it? I never seen "pappy's place" run a national event.

Sorry,
How long Was Pappy's place at Santa Anna?

Been with cars running on 1/5, 1/8, 1/4... 500ft, 750 ft... still had people in the stands.

d'kid

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, weren't rev limiters mandated several years ago for the nitro cars and the crew chiefs have had nightmares trying to tune around them? Shorten the tracks to 1000' and remove the limiters, that way they wouldn't have to hold their breaths hoping the motors stay together the last 300' or so. With gearing the way it is, they wouldn't have to worry about the motors reaching that high of RPM.

You're 100 percent correct. The owners and driver should dictate where they feel safe to run. What about that organization PRO? They continue to stay silent despite Darrell Russell, Eric, and now Scott. Time to step up and lead guys. If it were'nt for John Force and his team, nothing would have been done to make the cars safer. You can't wait for Glendora to lead because they have'nt in quite a long time. The cars/drivers are the show, and if they ain't there, there ain't no show. And if there ain't no show, there ain't no NHRA. The sportsman racers will keep racing wherever they find a track and don't need NHRA to do it.

The real racers will race shopping carts at the Walmart if thats all they have left to race. And they'll be very happy doing it.

I don't think the length of the track would be an issue if they would develop a safe way to stop the cars in the sand trap... and configure the sand trap in a way that would prevent the cars from colliding with a solid object.

They need to do something with the netting too. I keep thinking about how the net is only about 3 feet high. It needs to be about 20 feet high to prevent the "tripping" effect like Del Worsham experienced at Pomona.

A standard configuration sand trap with a tall net that could "capture" a car could do a lot to solve some of the problems.

Greg, the net at Englishtown was non-functional, a P/S Bike, a T/F Dragster went right through their net. There should never be a placement of objects in the path of a race car. I suspect it's best to wait until investigation is done before placing blame, but other than the chutes Scott's car re-acted as it was suppose too, just not enough room too slow down. I think Tim W. was right on, the race teams need to get together and start taking control of their own destiny.

I suppose if you promote it right you could get people to a 60' race.... But it would'nt be good for a national event would it? I never seen "pappy's place" run a national event.

Maybe it's because It PREDATES the NHRA... SCTA... 1320 is another of Wally's ideas, Two LA city blocks approximately. aka the 440 yard dash, popar lenght for a dirt track in the 20 to 50's because a lot of them ran on a 'track and field' running track in stadiums... and that is why 1/4 mile seems to stick in most people's minds.... remember gym class?

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back