Late chutes/1000' drag racing (1 Viewer)

farmje

Nitro Member
This really isn't a bash on 1000 feet. I just want to know if something I'm observing is true, or if I'm just tripping out. (wouldn't be the first time).

With the exception of a few drivers (mainly Pedregons, and several others), it seems like many drivers are not putting the chutes out until after they cross the 1/4 mile finish line.

If they go 305-310 in 1000 ft., how much do they slow down without chutes in the last 320 feet?

I really noticed that at Indy this weekend. I'm sure the extra coast time does knock off a bunch of speed. Look at old 1/4 times when someone let off at 1000-1100 feet, they'd still have a quick looking time but the speed with be in the 280-290.

With the longer coasting time it scrubs speed and would make the negative g's from the chute a bit less. Or at least thats a wild theroy on my part

Well said, PJ. Also think about the fact that we all probably didn't notice it much at 1320' -- we weren't looking for it. I'd like to go back to some of those old races and see if they are pulling the chutes at a similar distance after the line.

Finally, remember these are people who have made thousands of runs, who visualize and practice runs constantly both in the car and in their head, and who are day-after-day rewarded for this consistency. Now we change the rules on them and expect them to break this habit. They get a pass on me for being a little tardy on the chutes :)

I did notice drivers deployed their chutes at various points of the track. Tony Pedregon seemed to have the chutes out as he was crossing the line. I can tell you this about 1,000 ft racing, I could hardly tell the difference.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back