Radio Control Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

Aren't you still building a 1/4 dragster Paul ? Think you were doing a Amato scheme. Year or two ago.

Aren't you still building a 1/4 dragster Paul ? Think you were doing a Amato scheme. Year or two ago.

I was, but I sold it. I got an offer I could not refuse.

Here is some pics of it though:

qscaleout.jpg

PB240417.jpg

PB240420.jpg

PB300433.jpg

Justin Eheln (his dad used to race Pro Stock, and Modified) had an on-board camera, and got loose about half track, and could not get it back and had a little crash. At the end, you can see his and my reaction as the car landed pointing back towards the starting line.

http://home.comcast.net/~justin1011/RCdragracing/SScrash.WMV

Here is another crash with the on board camera, then at the end he added a Steve Evans voice over which is great.

http://home.comcast.net/~justin1011/RCdragracing/MustangMishap.WMV

This is one of my favorite videos, he had the camera pointed out the side of the window. Just after half track, you can see the other car come in to view, then drop out just before the finish line.

http://home.comcast.net/~justin1011/RCdragracing/1stround.WMV

This is a video put together from a race a couple years ago.

Check out 2:03 (Roy) and 2:26 (Me) for some quick FC runs. Again, gives you a good sense of speed.

Way, way back when... late 60s early 70s here in the San Gabriel Valley we had lots of slot car tracks. The one here in Monrovia was called Miss Oshima's. She had an 8-lane track that was well over 60 feet long. You could rent a car or bring your own. But when she put in a 25 ft. drag racing track her business went up a bunch. She held soldering classes on how to put together your own drag racing slot car with the brass tubing she sold, complete with swinging pick-ups (in case you popped a wheelie, in the vernacular of the day). My friends and I just being out of our pre-teens took apart all of our motorized toys and put the motors into these tube chassis (direct drive I might add) and drag raced for hours. The big silver motored Mabuchi cars did the best. Slicks mounted on both output shafts, soaked in acetone to make them sticky. What a great time! Those experiences shaped my love of drag racing to this day -- run what you brung!

Way, way back when... late 60s early 70s here in the San Gabriel Valley we had lots of slot car tracks. The one here in Monrovia was called Miss Oshima's. She had an 8-lane track that was well over 60 feet long. You could rent a car or bring your own. But when she put in a 25 ft. drag racing track her business went up a bunch. She held soldering classes on how to put together your own drag racing slot car with the brass tubing she sold, complete with swinging pick-ups (in case you popped a wheelie, in the vernacular of the day). My friends and I just being out of our pre-teens took apart all of our motorized toys and put the motors into these tube chassis (direct drive I might add) and drag raced for hours. The big silver motored Mabuchi cars did the best. Slicks mounted on both output shafts, soaked in acetone to make them sticky. What a great time! Those experiences shaped my love of drag racing to this day -- run what you brung!

I run slot car drags also. Maybe a story for a different Day. Awesome fun.

PA251009.jpg

PB081044.jpg

P1011200.jpg

PA251012.jpg

We drag race slot cars here in So. Cal. The last dragstrip in So. Cal. is here in Buena Park. Eugene Grey used to race with us a few years ago.

Paul, have you heard of Chris Smith? He used to race slot cars with us here. I heard he's a pretty bad dude in the r/c drags....

We drag race slot cars here in So. Cal. The last dragstrip in So. Cal. is here in Buena Park. Eugene Grey used to race with us a few years ago.

Paul, have you heard of Chris Smith? He used to race slot cars with us here. I heard he's a pretty bad dude in the r/c drags....

Yes, and yes he is.

We have raced until the sun came up a few times there, havn't we Gary? I wanted to stop by over the off season, but I just didn't get a chance to. This off season went by fast.

Last edited:
Thanks for all this information, great posts.
Great looking cars too.
Brings me back to when I used to race 1/24 scale slot cars at Polks Hobby shop in midtown NYC.:D

Thanks for all this information, great posts.
Great looking cars too.
Brings me back to when I used to race 1/24 scale slot cars at Polks Hobby shop in midtown NYC.:D

Polks Hobby! Now there is a name from the past. They were the original Mabuchi Motor importer for the Hobby/Industry. Everybody got them from Polks. . .

Foam-ster, didn't you drag race r/c stuff too? Man, wish I had thought of bringing along a camera when you lived in that apt in BP. There was a TON of cool things sitting around.....

I used to run 1/10th scale cars when I was in high school (early 90') only because we had a nice high bank 1/10th & 1/12th scale oval here in town and no RC dragracing around. It was a ton of fun, real rubber tires, making gear ratio changes, titanium axles...it was crazy. Heck my little car would do 50 mph on the oval (with a "slot machine" brand stock motor) and I loved painting the bodies of them....spent many a night airbrushing the cars in reverse (since you painted the insides you would basically reverse mask them). Also loved seeing the guys with the 1/8th scale nitro burning motors and three speeds testing out there at the track. They would idle around the corners and then punch the streight away and you could hear the centrifical clutches changing gear...in the little squits they would hit over 100mph and I always thought it would be cool to see what the drag cars did. Heck the gas guys all had to carry insurance as I remember in case the car jumped the track and hit somebody...crazy! It's a fun hobby, every bit as addictive and time consuming as the big cars!

Keith... here is a link to the current record for r/c drag racing with the IMDRA... Note the extreme class record... alll are true time and speeds for a 1/10th scale quarter mile... 132ft. we use tree systems that are pretty much the same as the larger counter parts... Portatree, RaceAmerica etc.... we record 6ft, 55ft ET and MPH's....

http://www.imdra.com/Records 2011.htm

Go to the main page .. rc dragracing,IMDRA,r/c drag racing and see they have posted this years 4 national events... Chicago Ill, Titusville Fla,Rockingham NC , Richmond Virginia.. also check out the photo album..

Foam-ster, didn't you drag race r/c stuff too? Man, wish I had thought of bringing along a camera when you lived in that apt in BP. There was a TON of cool things sitting around.....

Yeah, I raced back in the day at Riverside and later Colton. I ruined Pro Stock, ruined Funny Car, stopped racing with a 16cell Doorslammer we called Super Comp. Still have that heap someplace. Got in one of the magazines at the time. With most of the people back then from the South Bay, why didn't anyone setup something here when Drag City closed?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back