Radio Control Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

Just Paul

Nitro Member
Hey folks... With the new Traxxas deal being announced, I thought I'd share my experience with radio control drag racing, and a little bit on how things work. (Billy Weeks here is also big time into RC Drags)

I started with one car back in 2002, and by 2005 I was a track owner. I ran several national events, and was lucky enough to pick up sponsors from some of the main companies in the r/c drag racing world. Over the years I have built and painted quite a few cars for myself and other people.

My track has a full timing system from Race America. It is 132 feet long which is a 1/10 scale quarter mile. It has start, finish, mph, and it also has sensors at 6' and 66' (just like 60 and 660) so we get short times. It's able to set dial-ins, indexs, and run a .400 or .500 tree.

The surface is sprayed with a sugar water mixture, and once it dries, the track is left sticky. We also use VHT just like the big boys, but just over the first half of the track. There is also traction compound we put right on the tires.

The 3 most popular classes we have, are bracket, Pro Comp (2.500 second index) and Funny Car.

Bracket and the index classes are mainly your basic RC car, and for the Index class you mainly play with gear ratio, tire diameter, and weight to hit the number.

The Funny Car class is where it gets good. The newer high end type speed controls that power the motor have hundreds of different settings used for launch power, throttle settings, overall power settings, and they even have settings to adjust the motor timing as the car goes down the track just like the big show cars. It's all programmed before the run via laptop computer. There is even an overall power curve map that you can bring power in and out as the car goes.

A 10 degree difference in track temp makes a huge difference in how the car is set up to launch, and how much traction compond you put on the tires before launch. It does not take much to go from a very good run to an aborted run if you miss the set up.

On a typical race day, I would start with a base set up from a past race with similar track conditions, and go from there. Once I figured out my settings for the day, I would stick with it and make small changes. For example, on a good day, a good number would be 1.600 seconds for our funny car class. (That works out to be about .250 seconds in 6 feet, and 1.02 seconds in 66 feet just to give an idea how quick the cars are). In the early rounds, if I knew I had an advantage I could just change a few things and run a 1.64 with no question, then in the final usually go for a 1.58 or so if the track was there. Most runs are close to, if not over 90 mph. (there are cars that run more batterry that go over 100 mph pretty easy)

Here are some pics of my track set up (We have used a couple different school parking lots over the years)

PA120695.jpg

PA120697.jpg

100_0238.jpg

100_0239.jpg

Here are some of my cars over the years. The funny cars are given a 14.0 inch wheelbase, which would put a regular FC at 140" so they look low and long...

The first car I ever had- Bolink F/C. Ran about 45 mph.

rc2.jpg

Built like Jason Scruggs Stratus. This car went 75 mph on a regular basis.

P9270677.jpg

P9270679.jpg

Al-Anabi Pro Mod Camaro

P6280179.jpg

Pretty wild Paul! Now are the cars you guys run all handbuilt, or can you buy an R/C Funny or other drag car? And, I looked at the Traxxas site, do you think they will come out with a car that would compete with your cars?

Truly Incredible. I've Seen Garlits Monowing Once. Incredible Collections. Must Be So Cool, But Must Also Be Talking Some Serious $$$$. Are You Selling?

Pretty wild Paul! Now are the cars you guys run all handbuilt, or can you buy an R/C Funny or other drag car? And, I looked at the Traxxas site, do you think they will come out with a car that would compete with your cars?

There are a few companies around that make chassis kits, bodies, and parts. Most people buy all the parts seperate and put it together themselves. At this time, I don't think there are any ready to run drag cars on the market, and I think this is where Traxxas is going to hit the market, and hopefully do really well.

I would have to think Traxxas is going to come out with a line of drag cars. How fast or quick, I am not sure, but I'm sure they will be awesome cars, with lots of hop-up options.

The problem with the drag cars like mine, is that you can't go run them up and down the street or any open area without the surface being well prepped. That being said, to the average guy that kind of car does you no good. Also, the cars are very fragile. If you hit anything, they require big time repair work.

53 Stude Pro Mod
P4270524.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone use an actual glo plug motor in these races. Model airplane motors and other types of RC cars use varying amounts of nitro-methane and make a real racket when running. Kind of like the big race cars. Some make 2 or 3 hp in a fairly small displacement (well under 1 cu inch) motor.

Does anyone use an actual glo plug motor in these races. Model airplane motors and other types of RC cars use varying amounts of nitro-methane and make a real racket when running. Kind of like the big race cars. Some make 2 or 3 hp in a fairly small displacement (well under 1 cu inch) motor.

Yes, Nitro cars are real popular. Most of them run a .21 size.

Paul, is that you in the black shirt up there? If so, that's a pretty intense "GAME ON!!!" look on your face!
:)

Pretty cool! I build static aircraft models, but models of any type fascinate me. I love that Wilk car up there.

Yeah, that's me. :eek:

It's fun to watch people, everybody has their own stance or game face when it's time to go.

The funny thing is, I was making a single, and I don't even think it was a race day. If I remember right, it was our pre-season test date.

Wow, those are some incredibile cars Paul, thanks for sharing! I had no idea that people were doing RC drag racing.

Just curious, how long does it take you to paint one of those cars? I can't get over the level of detail that you have in them! Where do you get all of the miniature sponsor stickers or do you make them on the computer yourself?

So cool!! :D

Wow, those are some incredibile cars Paul, thanks for sharing! I had no idea that people were doing RC drag racing.

Just curious, how long does it take you to paint one of those cars? I can't get over the level of detail that you have in them! Where do you get all of the miniature sponsor stickers or do you make them on the computer yourself?

So cool!! :D

I probably get 3-5 hours in a body depending how much masking or how many colors it is. They come uncut, clear, and get painted on the inside, so you have to reverse the steps from painting on the outside like normal.

Decals.. A few companies make the small decal sheets. I have a huge decal collection.

I probably get 3-5 hours in a body depending how much masking or how many colors it is. They come uncut, clear, and get painted on the inside, so you have to reverse the steps from painting on the outside like normal.

Decals.. A few companies make the small decal sheets. I have a huge decal collection.

Ebay has decal sheets often. Let me guess around 3000 a car? Also, they run a nitro methane right?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back