1000 ft racing in Australia (1 Viewer)

bing

Nitro Member
This weekend sees the first 1000 ft racing in Australia at Calder in Melbourne. Darren Morgan, Darren Difilippo, Damien Harris and Phil Lammatina hit the track tonite and tomorrow. Its the first time in 10 years we have had more than 1 TF car in the same place in my home state. These cars are some of the best we have down under so it will be interesting to see how they go over the 1000. Darren, Darren and Phil have all won championships and Damien has burst onto the scene in the past couple of years and will definitely win championships in the not too distant future. His crew chief, Tim Adams is in my opinion the best tuner in the country behind Cowin. Will be interesting to see what they run.

Will be the first time I have missed a fuel car at Calder in 20+ years.

I am pretty sure dragnews.com.au will be covering it and there will be posts on dragster.com.au over the next few days if any of you are interested.

hey Darren,Is the reason for the short track (1000 ft.), the same as over here, safety? Is it gonna be 1000 ft. at some tracks, and not others? Can you fill me in a little bit, about racing in Australia. Like number of tracks, attendance, sponserships. Is it ran better than over here, in your opinion? Have they had the racing tragedies we've endured over here? Other than knowing the fans over there are very enthusiastic, I'm not really up on the racing over there.Thanks. P.S, do you have a John Force type racer over there.

hey Darren,Is the reason for the short track (1000 ft.), the same as over here, safety? Is it gonna be 1000 ft. at some tracks, and not others? Can you fill me in a little bit, about racing in Australia. Like number of tracks, attendance, sponserships. Is it ran better than over here, in your opinion? Have they had the racing tragedies we've endured over here? Other than knowing the fans over there are very enthusiastic, I'm not really up on the racing over there.Thanks. P.S, do you have a John Force type racer over there.

You wouldnt believe it, I just spent the last hour writing a post that covered all your questions hit submit and my computer went into meltdown so here it is again.

Calder is long but no trap/net and no wall past 1400 ft on the right. 1000 ft is the right decision to get racing back in 'the sporting capital of Australia'. Adelaide is holding the first 1000 ft ANDRA sanctioned event in Australia next month which is part of the pro series (our version of Full Throttle series)

Pro series consists of TF (10 cars) TA (both floppers and FC) Doorslammer (Pro mod) (20 cars), Top Bike (both twins and 4 cyl) Pro stock (smaller cubes) (16) and PSB which only has around 5 bikes these days. We run 6 or 7 rounds in most classes but some only run 4 or 5. The doorslammers have just started a series at regional tracks over the 1/8.

For the last 10 years we have only had 3 tracks the pros run at, WSID and Willowbank on the east coast and Perth to the west but it looks like we will have tracks in all 5 major cities by 2013.

Most of the pro guys get little help from sponsors and most run successful businesses that allow them to race and there are a lot of cars sitting out but hopefully that changes when we go truely national again.

Crowds vary, its hard to predict from one race to another, I have been to events where you cannot move but at the same time I have seen some small crowds in recent years. The biggest attendance I have seen was in melbourne in 95. There were 30 000+ on both Sat/sun but us Victorians will go watch anything. You gotta remember there are more people in LA than the whole of OZ.

NHRA do it so much better, fair enough you have 35+ fuel cars at an event but the way the NHRA come in and run the whole show is something we need to work towards. Dont get me wrong I love the racing back home but there is so much we can learn from the NHRA and I cannot understand why we havent thus far. Our shows go from 8 am to 10pm each day, the show is way too long. We gotta limit the amount of sportsman racers entering, thats the main difference. a quick show is a good show, give the crowd more bang for their entry!

We have had nowhere near the tragedies, Santos son lost his life years ago, thats what the 'in memory of Louie' refers to on his rear wing. We have had some bad crashes in the past five years but somehow they all walked away. But when you consider the small amout of races we do and the car counts that understandable.

Our Force would have to be Victor Bray (doorslammer), he knows how to look after his sponsors, he lost Castrol a couple of years ago but picked up Sidchrome tools. He is no household name but is the most popular racer. most other racers run a successful business. Some of the fuel teams have 1 maybe 2 full time guys but here its pretty much a hobby.

As for numbers, the fuel cars are running well now, 4.60's through to 90's with the occasional high .50 (1320) the funnys are starting to run into the 4's since Densham was here a few years ago. He run the first 4 @ 300 here. the doorslammers are running 5's more often than not. TA run 5.50's to get the number 1 spot.

That will do for now, Phoenix tomorrow. Feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

That's a great post. So are you here on a Drag Racing Holiday? Pomona and Phoenix? Sounds like the trip of a lifetime, a "kid in a candy store". Perhaps write a thread on your journey once it's done.

That's a great post. So are you here on a Drag Racing Holiday? Pomona and Phoenix? Sounds like the trip of a lifetime, a "kid in a candy store". Perhaps write a thread on your journey once it's done.

Yes mate, the purpose of this trip is the racing and to see it in person is a dream come true. I am also here for the theme parks (i am a 40 year old kid lol). After Pomona I went to Knotts, Disneyland and Universal and now I am getting picked up in 10 mins to got out to firebird with a big smile on my face!!! After Phoenix I got 3 nights in Vegas then back to Hollywood for 2 nights where I am gunna do the tourist thing and SIX FLAGS!!!

i will definitely put something together when I get home, I have been sending emails home each night and will go through them all a write a blog which I will post when its done.

I am having the time of my life.

Darren, When things slow down for ya, can you let me know, about the safety aspect in Aus. Is it on par with the U.S . Or maybe it exceeds the U.S. One other thing. If you ever get the chance. You gotta come over to the nats. in norwalk , ohio, July 4th this year. Top notch pro racing. And it's right next to CEDAR POINT AMUSEMENT PARK. I don't know if you have been there yet, and I don't know where it rates against other parks in the U.S. But in the midwest, it's the park to go to. Last I heard, it had 7 or 8 coasters, including wooden (blue streak) coasters. Just hearing that thing creak and moan is scary as hell. For awhile there, they we're adding a coaster a year. There's one called, I believe top fuel something or other (70 miles an hour) is the claim. Anyway, it's a great time. Mike.

Two of our tracks have imo excellent shutdown area's - they would be my home track in Perth (The Motorplex) the other being Sydney Dragway. A number of cars this season in Perth have gone into the sand and through the catch-nets and come out of it well - minus some damage to the cars. As far as safety aspects regarding the cars, they're pretty much on the same level as they are in the states - there really isn't much difference in that regards to safety, though I think the TAD's should be all made to run the shield around the roll cage, as some here don't.

Mike, I agree that Norwalk is a great race to attend - I went for the first time in 2007 and had a blast, one of my favorite races to attend.

Regards,

Mike.

PS: Here is an article Compplus ran on Sydney's shutdown area. http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/14945-oberhofer-dont-just-fix-the-cars-fix-the-traps

Hi Mike, Thanks for the link. It was very informative. I totally agree with olberhofer. If I was in the car, I'd want to be going thru jim reads set-up. I guess the n.h.r.a is doing thier best with the shut-downs, and I know it isn't a simple thing to fix. It just seems to me, everything that could be done, isn't being done. I hope we don't have to lose another life. Thanks again Mike.

Darren, When things slow down for ya, can you let me know, about the safety aspect in Aus. Is it on par with the U.S . Or maybe it exceeds the U.S. One other thing. If you ever get the chance. You gotta come over to the nats. in norwalk , ohio, July 4th this year. Top notch pro racing. And it's right next to CEDAR POINT AMUSEMENT PARK. I don't know if you have been there yet, and I don't know where it rates against other parks in the U.S. But in the midwest, it's the park to go to. Last I heard, it had 7 or 8 coasters, including wooden (blue streak) coasters. Just hearing that thing creak and moan is scary as hell. For awhile there, they we're adding a coaster a year. There's one called, I believe top fuel something or other (70 miles an hour) is the claim. Anyway, it's a great time. Mike.

Originally the plan was to do Chicago and Norwalk and go to cedar point, it is my 40th in June and it was going to be my birthday present to myself but things changed and here I am today but i am so glad I done it this way as waiting 2 months after i booked my tickets was bad enough, 6 months would have been hell!

I had a great day at the track today, thanks Jim!! I have calmed down a bit since i was in Pomona last week so soaked a lot more in. Firebird is a bit different to being in TEC at Pomona but I like the place. The pit layout is so much better, you see so many more warm ups, The force cars went one after another which was really cool. There should be a rule that all nitro cars should whack the throttle in the warm up, the crowd loved it and so did I. It never gets old no matter how many times you see it.

The show is soooo much better here, watched the first session then headed straight to the pits and the warm ups started straight away, 4 hours of nothing but nitro, PURE HEAVEN!!!!

Cant wait for tomorrow

It's cool to see/read about someone being so enthusiastic about something we have so much exposure to that we tend to take it for-granted and are quick to criticize its imperfections.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back