I may have seen it all..... (1 Viewer)

We despise wheel locks.....they don't prevent anything. Besides, they sell removal tools for them anyways.

The local Wal-Mart used to have an account with us, in order to repair their broken studs, stripped drain plugs, etc.

It is something to see a car towed in with 13 of 20 wheel studs broken.:D:D

BTW, for those of you who only purchase two tires at a time, always make sure they are installed on the rear axle every time. NO exceptions. There have been a lot of arguments regarding this, but ultimately, they are saying without doubt that the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle.

Alan...
Okay, I'm a bad boy, but I run two sizes bigger in the rear on my 'stang... is there a reason for the new rubber going in the rear?

d'kid

We can't sell used tires any more, too many insurance regulations against it. When we did, right on the invoice it was listed as a used tire, sold as is, with no warranty. And people would come back expecting us to warranty their used stuff....

Do you get the people that bring in their own parts, and don't understand why there is no warranty on the job??? My favorite line for them - "Do you bring your own hamburger patty to McDonalds too?":D

I've tried the food to the restaurant line before.I usually point into the shop and show them it isn't high school shop class were running, and tell them that we are here to make a living.We all have families to feed. We will not install customer supplied parts.Only exception is tires.

I love the people who want a prices on tires. Then they go order some from Tire Rack and end up paying more for shipping and to have us mount balance and dispose of the old ones than if they bought them from me in the first place!!

I know a guy who put really nice Wheels on his dually, and because he thought somebody might try and steal them he torked them to about 180 Lbs. Well guess what....He goes to the lake and has a flat! He had to calla buddy with a breaker bar to get his tire off!

Tire Rack can be a great tool. We are a preferred installer for the Rack, a customer can have their tires drop shipped direct to us, and they don't have to handle them. The first car we did went from $150.00 install the customers tires and align, to over $700 in front end and brake work. And some customer soon realize that they aren't saving much in the end, so next time you might get first hit on the tires. Anyone that owns or runs a shop knows you aren't gonna get rich selling tires, service is where the money is made.

Karl, I'll try and find some of the articles for you. The most recent was a $30 million lawsuit against Michelin, new tires were installed in front, car hydro-planed, rear end came around, lady was paralyzed. A former co-workers daughter in law is paralyzed from the same type of incident, her's was about 10 years ago. It is now our policy, new on rear only, no exceptions. I guess the reasoning would be you can steer the front of car, even with poor tires. The rear can't be controlled. Although my guys have brought up interesting questions.....what if they only buy one tire? What about if they want their tires rotated and the rears are already the best??

The idiot award goes to 2 people in my office building.

A few weeks ago I am walking to the restroom and a guy asks me, "Where's the 12th floor and how do I get there?" He was standing in front of 4 elevators on the first floor.

Also a few weeks ago also (I'm going to the restroom again) and this lady says "Sir, do you know whats wrong with the elavator?" I said "No mam. It was working earlier. Whats it doing?" She said, and I quote:
"Well I keep pushing 1 to go up to the first floor but the door keeps opening back up." I just shook my head and said, "Mam, your on the first floor already. You have to hit 2 to go to the next floor."

Being in the elevator business, if I had a dollar for every time that I told a passenger "You're already on the first floor".....

One of the top five idiotic things that I have ever heard a customer say was "If the electricity in the building goes off, does that affect the elevator?" "No sir, our squirrels keep on running in their little wheels, even in the dark.":rolleyes:

Murdock.

Anyone that owns or runs a shop knows you aren't gonna get rich selling tires, service is where the money is made.

I hear that! Although a large portion of my business comes from exhaust systems, where I have people who will spend $300 plus on an exhaust system but not spend the money to replace the frayed brake line we spotted whilst it was on the rack.

As far as exhuast goes, I have routinely heard this line.

Customer: "I want to remove my catylitic converter and replace it with straight pipe, how much will you charge me?"

Me: "I'm sorry but federal law prohibits the tampering of the catylitic system including, and most especially removal of the catylitic converter".

Customer: "But I live in Valencia County, they don't require emissions".

Me: "It's a FEDERAL LAW, FEDERAL LAW TRUMPS LOCAL LAW"

Customer: "Even if I live in Valencia County?"

Me: "Yes, even if you live in Valencia County in the State of New Mexico you are have to abide by the laws if the United States Federal Government".

Then you get the people who come in "My buddy cut off my cats for me, and now it doesn't run right".

Well, it's an OBDII system with an O2 Sensor in the back and now your engine is in a limp in mode. So I tell them they need to put the Cats back on, but they sold them to the recyling plant for 20 bucks beer money and now they need to pay at least a couple hundred for a new cat....

As the coffee kicks in heres another one from a few years back.
Had a Taurus wagon in for inspection.It had a broken front spring ,broken rear spring,both outer tie rod ends loose. So I called this lady up and gave her the estimate and she flipped out.
She just could not believe that it wouldn't pass, She refused to have the repair done.
She wanted to know how I "could let her kids ride around in a car with no inspection sticker"!!!
Then the boyfriend comes to pick the car up with the kids in tow,refusing to pay for it-(yeah that'll work)-and then it hits him that since the car was 5 months over due for inspection that by law we have to take the old sticker off.
So he piled the little ones in the car and drove off screaming the whole time.

Thankfully these are few and far between!!

I hear that! Although a large portion of my business comes from exhaust systems, where I have people who will spend $300 plus on an exhaust system but not spend the money to replace the frayed brake line we spotted whilst it was on the rack.

As far as exhuast goes, I have routinely heard this line.

Then you get the people who come in "My buddy cut off my cats for me, and now it doesn't run right".

Well, it's an OBDII system with an O2 Sensor in the back and now your engine is in a limp in mode. So I tell them they need to put the Cats back on, but they sold them to the recyling plant for 20 bucks beer money and now they need to pay at least a couple hundred for a new cat....

OH yes.......we get many of those stories.

On another note...do any of you guys have problems with taking credit cards? After something that just happened to us....we're not sure it's worth it. Customers have all the rights....and although we as merchants are also "customers" for the credit card companies with all the fees we pay....have none...ziltch...ZERO! At least not with Visa/MC. I'm so upset with something that just happened...I could spit nails. $1100 nails...........

We're not made of money....and that really hurts.

The vast majority of our business is credit cards. Naturally you have to pay your merchant fees, and AmEx and Discover are a little slow getting your money in the bank, but that's they way it goes. We do get some cash and checks, and thankfully we very rarely get a bad check.

I'd say my CC intake has increased from about 20% of sales to 50%. With all the reward programs, people get somethign for paying with credit card. If they say "Will you give me a discount if I pay check rather than CC" I usually will.

I've had 1 bounced check in two years and haven't had a dispute on me for about 5 or six. The dispute was taking care of after I faxed the signed receipt back to Amex.

From some people, I'd rather take a credit card than a check, and you hate to prejudge a person like that, but $ pays the overhead.

For those of you that are involved in auto repair, how about some comparisons to see different rates across the country....

Labor - 96.00 per hour, Diagnostic 110.00 per hour

Oil change - 34.95, includes tire rotation and vehicle inspection

Alignment - 69.95 two wheel, 79.95 four wheel, 89.95 anything lifted or lowered

Transmission flush - 126.95 standard, 166.95 synthetic fluid

Wheel Balance - 12.50 in general

Dismount and mount - 10.00 up to 20" wheels, 15.00 over 20" wheels

On almost every vehicle we work on, the windshield gets washed and the tires get dressed.

Wow....cost of living is definately higher where you folks are.

$55 @ HR for labor - Same for diagnostics

$19.95 Oil Change (Most vehicles)

Biggest part of our business is custom exhaust....which of course...varies.

Tires and alignments are the two things we don't do.

Getting back to the CC stuff. We have NO problems with our local customers...just with a couple of our wheel sales out of state over the years. Customers have up to 18 months to dispute. We have one right now where the wheels were delivered by the manufacturer...to the customer..(says he never got them...and we can't get a hold of him either)...and now we have had to file criminal charges because they will not reverse the chageback. Sigh....it's just a mess. When you are a very small business....things like this really hurt. :(

Labor - 99.00 per hour, Diagnostic 110.00 per hour

Oil change - 35.95

Alignment - 69.95 two wheel, 79.95 FWD, 129.95 4 wheel.

Transmission flush - 149.95 standard, 169.95 synthetic fluid

Wheel Balance - 8.00 spin 15 bag

Dismount and mount - 5 up to 16" wheels, 10 to 20" wheels

Wash windows every vehicle and offer detail service

Kathy, is it a state law with that long dispute term? I thought it was somewhere around 90 days.

Jenn,

That's what I thought, too. This was told to me recently by my merchant services rep. She said it was a VISA/MC "rule"...and not their rule..and there was nothing she could do to help me.

We are going to start shopping for a new merchant services company anyway. I haven't had a chance to look into this "rule" just yet.....but I think it's something that we all need to know...one way or the other...esp. as business folks.

This is something that sounds like it could very easily.....get abused!

PS...I feel like posting the name...address....and type of wheels that were "stolen"...from us. Then maybe someone on here could help.

Last edited:
Merchant Service Companies are ALWAYS caling trying to get me to change companies. I hate it, I may pay a higher rate, but I have a representative that lives right down the street who comes to check on my machine, takes care of any problems usually that day (like when I fry my printer). The guy even came in while we were doing our Christmas card mailing and sat down and started addressing envelopes for us for nearly two hours. Took them to the post office for me too.

Jenn....Now that's pretty cool! :cool:

BTW....Sorry if I "derailed" the thread by getting off on another subject....

We do a monthly magazine style ad, full page, usually with a current tire rebate promotion and from 4 to 6 service coupons. Then every few months we throw out a two sided flyer insert, with tire specials as well as service coupons.

We haven't ventured into radio or tv.

Tire Pros also keeps some coupons on the corporate web site that consumers can utilize as well.

Jenn, where are you located?? New Mexico? Do you purchase any tires from AmPac?

Getting back to the CC stuff. We have NO problems with our local customers...just with a couple of our wheel sales out of state over the years. Customers have up to 18 months to dispute. We have one right now where the wheels were delivered by the manufacturer...to the customer..(says he never got them...and we can't get a hold of him either)...and now we have had to file criminal charges because they will not reverse the chageback. Sigh....it's just a mess. When you are a very small business....things like this really hurt. :(

Kathy,
we are not in the Automotive Industry, but we do a good amount of International Parts Sales... we do not accept CC on International Orders, and reluctantly on out of state orders for 'unknown' customers. More than once, a customer has ordered the wrong part, and we have exchanged it at no charge, even eating the freight, and have still had them contest the charge.

Having Bill of Lading or Carrier Tracking Numbers has helped more than once on contested CC. Carriers have records of where and when the shipment was delivered, be it an LTL shipment or UPS/DHL/FedEx... you need the tracking number from your vendor and go from there...

You do use Purchase orders and have invoice from the vendor in question. At a year plus, it will take some digging on both your vendor's part and the carrier, but those records can be had at no cost to you.

d'kid

Jenn, where are you located?? New Mexico? Do you purchase any tires from AmPac?

I'm just south of Alburquerque. I do most of my buying from American Tire Co., Roadrunning Distributing, and fill in with Friend Tire.

I don't stock much tires, I don't have the room for it. Vicinity to ABQ means that I can get most things within the day so it's not a big concern.

I rarely advertise and most of my business comes from referals and existing customers and only have a small ad in the phone book, plus my name under the business listings.

Referrals by customers have the best rate of return out there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back