Lets fix the problem with the wheels flying off... (1 Viewer)

You are EXACTLY correct in stating that "Everyone that can" will spend whatever it takes. Unfortunately, that pretty much boils down to DSR and JFR.

Well said Jim! That's exactly the problem.

We went through nearly three decades without any serious incidents but during that time the cars evolved into what they are today. As a result, we have a class nearly on life support, 1000 feet racing, on track and now off track catastrophies, and burdening cost that few can afford. Cure it all by taking horsepower away from the fuel cars so it's enjoyable again. The spec engine has been developed and tested. Start using it...now!

well that's too simple Rich,,and would require the current mega teams to give up the advantage they've gained under the current rules.

Cure it all by taking horsepower away from the fuel cars so it's enjoyable again. The spec engine has been developed and tested. Start using it...now!

Great idea but it makes too much sense. It will never happen.
One mag, one fuel pump, and...(got my Nomex on) only one engine for the weekend.

We went through nearly three decades without any serious incidents but during that time the cars evolved into what they are today. As a result, we have a class nearly on life support, 1000 feet racing, on track and now off track catastrophes, and burdening cost that few can afford. Cure it all by taking horsepower away from the fuel cars so it's enjoyable again. The spec engine has been developed and tested. Start using it...now!

I agree 100%

Larry Fulton

Ask Cruz how he likes the test combo that he's been running.
Sweet deal 1 mag, small pump, less overdrive, clutch and still runing 30's not hurting a thing.
The car should run 0's, even dip into the 90's on a good track with better air. (1/4 mile:D)
But racers being racers, they would figure it out in a year or so and start blowing stuff up just like they do now, but it would be a start.

I believe that all of you that are advocating taking horsepower away to put a safety margin in the parts now being ran are correct.

It could be done by Gainesville by just limiting the cars to one mag, 4 disc clutch and 30 over on the blowers. Wouldn't cost the teams anything in new/different parts and they could go back to 1/4 mile and run right at 300 mph. No testing would be needed as everyone would be in the same situation and the crew chiefs are smart enough to figure it out in 4 qualifying runs. The fuel systems will take care of themselves with the other limitations.

I believe that all of you that are advocating taking horsepower away to put a safety margin in the parts now being ran are correct.

It could be done by Gainesville by just limiting the cars to one mag, 4 disc clutch and 30 over on the blowers. Wouldn't cost the teams anything in new/different parts and they could go back to 1/4 mile and run right at 300 mph. No testing would be needed as everyone would be in the same situation and the crew chiefs are smart enough to figure it out in 4 qualifying runs. The fuel systems will take care of themselves with the other limitations.

Moderator to aisle 3 for clean up please! tap tap is this on....? Moderator to aisle 3 for massive thread clean up Virgil is talking common sense and like stuff that could really work again...:D

Anybody remember when Eddie Hill lost a Tire in '89 at the Winternatl's? The cars were running 5.0s back then, I don't recall anyone begging the NHRA for single mag motors or 1000' racing! Some of you look for ways to try and re-invent this sport! Amazing!

A few days ago I wrote an editorial on this at Cap Racing Home Page

You will also find a great story there about the Snake's finishline explosion and wheelstand in Seattle written be Jim Rockstad.

Last edited:
Anybody remember when Eddie Hill lost a Tire in '89 at the Winternatl's? The cars were running 5.0s back then, I don't recall anyone begging the NHRA for single mag motors or 1000' racing! Some of you look for ways to try and re-invent this sport! Amazing!

I have to think that 21 years advancement in materials since then would prevent what happened to Hill.
What were the cars making back then, about 3500 to 4000 horsepower?

What do you propose?

Anybody remember when Eddie Hill lost a Tire in '89 at the Winternatl's?
Yes I was there Joe, your stating apples and oranges to this deal.The wheels were changed because of the centrifugal force when the tire freewheeled when it was off the track under full power...This is tire shake and the goofy mag timing systems they have now.
Run the exact combination that Virgil & others (me too) have advocated for several years.
The cars are too heavy now don't add more crap.
Go back to only pneumatic timers too---that will eliminate the current rumors about traction control by certain Big Money teams.
...a Nitro geezer...

Yes I was there Joe, your stating apples and oranges to this deal.The wheels were changed because of the centrifugal force when the tire freewheeled when it was off the track under full power...This is tire shake and the goofy mag timing systems they have now.
Run the exact combination that Virgil & others (me too) have advocated for several years.
The cars are too heavy now don't add more crap.
Go back to only pneumatic timers too---that will eliminate the current rumors about traction control by certain Big Money teams.
...a Nitro geezer...

Thats a point about the weight. What are these things 4130 chromoly chassis with alloy blocks heads rods pistons forged steel cranks with magnesium this and that? carbon kevlar bodies that weigh what? yet the things are made to weigh a couple of tonnes. Look at how much a train weighs and how long it takes to stop one of those things at speed. Right now they are 330mph 2500pound bricks people may not like what im going to say and I could be completely wrong but how about instead of slowing them down take some of the weight away make the damn things easier to stop.

I ask this question if Antron Browns car only weighed what the components of the car including driver weighed and no of this minimum weight limit crap would it have shook the tires or just gone up in smoke?

Larry - You are EXACTLY correct in stating that "Everyone that can" will spend whatever it takes. Unfortunately, that pretty much boils down to DSR and JFR.

There are Maters who grasp the severity of this crisis and the fact that it has to be solved quickly without forcing a number of competitors who are just barely making it to events out of competition.

Jim, you and I have more in 'like thinking' than maybe realized.

I want to see more teams, and more cars, not less.

NHRA has done little or nothing over the past 10 or 20 years to maintain or increase car counts and racer participation.

They have let the bigger, better funded teams dictate the rules, the performance, and even some of the sponsorships.

Again I'll agree with you, the crisis is eminent.
Things have to change now.

Larry Fulton

Good call Joe... re-invention is slowly killing the sport. Tires and parts have been flying down the track forever. Slowing down the cars will mean that someone might be hit with a tire going 290 instead of 320....what's the point ? Improving driver and fan safety is a great thing and can be done without neutering the sport . Most forms of racing have a small amount of danger and risk....that's what puts fans in the stands !

Isn't the root of the problem the frequency and ferociousness of tire shake? and can it or should it be controlled through electronics for safety's sake?

Untitled Document

TIM GIBSON:

“Tire shake a lot of times will break the frame or tear the rear-end mounting brackets loose or you will see cracks all around the rear-end mounting brackets,” Gibson said. “It is so violent that it will just tear up anything. One time (in 2000) when I was driving for Bill Miller Engineering, the car shook so hard it bent the left lower frame rail up about four inches. So, it had like a four-inch U-shape bend in it. At the time when you’re driving, you’re just trying to make the tire shake stop, so you’re like pulling the brake or pedaling it or something like that. Once the run was over and I got out and looked at it, and saw that the frame was bent so badly, that was scary.”

Last edited:
Moderator to aisle 3 for clean up please! tap tap is this on....? Moderator to aisle 3 for massive thread clean up Virgil is talking common sense and like stuff that could really work again...:D

Yea try to find a post where Vigil isn't using common sense. Gee Virgil don't you know this is the Mater ???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

TK

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back