Lets Fix The 4 wide tree problem (1 Viewer)

Ok gang I'm sure if we put our heads together we can solve it.
#1) can't go too high or the FC's and P/MODS can't see the top..

#2 can't go too wide or the PS and P/MODS can't see past their hood scoops.

Why not put small lights inside the cars??? Like a small shift light.
Put them right on the dash, lights to show the other 3 lanes and a amber and green. No more vision problem.

I'm sure the technology is there to do this. They transmit picture and sound from a race car, why not transmit the tree info INTO the race car.

just a thought, what do you think.??

How about using two led-lit "bulbs" on top of each tree that are indicators for the other pair of lanes. For pre-stage it flashes and goes solid for stage. Deep staging changes nothing. Or, each "bulb" could change colors for pre-stage and stage. With led's, more than one color can be had in the same housing and it's still plenty bright.

No need for 4 bulbs...

The tree isn't really an issue. By the time everyone had seen it a few times they got used to it. The only real problem was when someone timed out it threw the others off. If they do the four wide again I think the thing to do would be invite the racers out on Thursday evening after the sportsman are finished and have a rental car race. That gives them a chance to get into the routine before they start racing for real.

No muss, no fuss, no cost, and it would be fun, maybe even make it into a fan fest.

Also if you made big changes to the tree for the Pros it would mess with the sportsman guys that's another reason why they did it like they did. The tree was exaclty the same for the sportsman racers.

Alan

The tree isn't really an issue. By the time everyone had seen it a few times they got used to it. The only real problem was when someone timed out it threw the others off. If they do the four wide again I think the thing to do would be invite the racers out on Thursday evening after the sportsman are finished and have a rental car race. That gives them a chance to get into the routine before they start racing for real.

No muss, no fuss, no cost, and it would be fun, maybe even make it into a fan fest.

Also if you made big changes to the tree for the Pros it would mess with the sportsman guys that's another reason why they did it like they did. The tree was exaclty the same for the sportsman racers.

Alan

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the racers were invited out the Thursday of the 4 wide race........................and ONE showed up. Perhaps racing rentals is a better way. :)

The tree isn't really an issue. By the time everyone had seen it a few times they got used to it. The only real problem was when someone timed out it threw the others off.

Alan

I agree, Alan, that the tree really isn't a problem. They'll get used to it. But I don't think the timing out issue throws the opponents off any more than what it does when racing the traditional 2-lanes, do you? You never see a decent reaction time from the driver opposite from a time-out, so I wouldn't say that problem is exclusive to the 4-lane format, but that's just me.

Sean D

Here's my solution
2455843860103699908S500x500Q85.jpg

Best solution is to rent a bulldozer and remove the other two lanes. Then you don't have a tree problem nor racing that no one will watch.

I agree, Alan, that the tree really isn't a problem. They'll get used to it. But I don't think the timing out issue throws the opponents off any more than what it does when racing the traditional 2-lanes, do you? You never see a decent reaction time from the driver opposite from a time-out, so I wouldn't say that problem is exclusive to the 4-lane format, but that's just me.

Sean D

The biggest issue with the four wide is this. If we are racing two wide and you time out, I win! The only thing I might do is make the run for lane choice, but I have already won the round. But with the four wide, if you time out I still have to beat someone to the stripe to advance and if I'm sitting there at an idle waiting for the last guy to stage, when the tree fires, I'm screwed. Because a Pro Stock racer (either car or bike) doesn't mash the gas until that last light comes on. Ask Eddie K, he was waiting for the last bulb when the tree came down.

Alan

Last edited:
IMO, The only way to fix the problems with the 4 wide is to run two cars at a time.
It's similar to building a motor. You must stick to the basics or there will be problems. The trick of the week stuff never works if the basics are ignored.

The basics of drag racing are two cars running side by side for 1320 feet. The first one to the finish line wins.
Qualifying should be decided by all cars running and every run counting and the best ET's out of all the sessions qualifying for the race.
The season championship should be awarded to whatever racer has the most points garnered throughout the whole season by winning rounds and races.

Again, IMO, all the convaluted BS and gimmicks that NHRA has come up with over the last several years has driven many lifelong fans away. I know I don't care about NHRA racing any more.
Give me the grass roots racing that is now available at the nostalgia events and I am happy.

Best solution is to rent a bulldozer and remove the other two lanes. Then you don't have a tree problem nor racing that no one will watch.

Talk about hittin the nail.

Maybe we should steal the Bulldozer that there gonna use to install 2 more lanes at Vegas to remove the 2 at Charlotte.
Kill two flying things with one rock.

Why not eliminate the blue lights and put an extra set of pre-stage & stage lights on each side of the existing trees. This way each lane is now accurately represented on both trees and the racers should have a clearer picture of whats going on

I realize that I'm a minority here and actually thought the 4 wide nationals were pretty darn cool.

I also liked the top fuel vs funny cars a few years back.

The tree takes a little bit to get used to I'm sure, but ya'll realize that every body had to get to used to a tree, instead of a flag, and then once those poor racers got used to the Christmas tree, they had to get used to LEDs versus incandescent! Whoa! I don't think some of these racers and fan can handle another evolution of drag racing. :rolleyes:

My only issues with 4 wide are that it went by way too fast and there were two winners. I like the idea of only one winner per quad. Maybe a second round made up of the losers? Too complicated for most people probably.

It's different, it's one race a year, take away the points and increase the purse.

My two pence.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back