INDY Re-do, Gimme a break! (1 Viewer)

I was at Indy since Thursday. On Sunday, about 1 PM, Alan Rinehart came over the PA to announce the "plan". They were going to try to get 1 session in. If not, the fields were set, and we'd race Monday. If it cancelled Monday, the fields would reopen, we'd qualify the next Saturday, and race next Sunday. About 4 PM, they finally called it. So while you call it a Pit Rumor, an announcement over the track PA says every team was aware and so were the fans.

If every team knew of the possibility of this beforehand; none of them has the right to b*tch and moan. The way I see it; they lost 2 days to rain; therefore they're making up the 2 days.

I was at Indy since Thursday. On Sunday, about 1 PM, Alan Rinehart came over the PA to announce the "plan". They were going to try to get 1 session in. If not, the fields were set, and we'd race Monday. If it cancelled Monday, the fields would reopen, we'd qualify the next Saturday, and race next Sunday. About 4 PM, they finally called it. So while you call it a Pit Rumor, an announcement over the track PA says every team was aware and so were the fans.

It is in print in two different places. "Fields are set". DRC and NHRA's own web site.

It is in print in two different places. "Fields are set". DRC and NHRA's own web site.

But that was IF they raced on MONDAY! It was obviously an either or situation. If they were able to race on Monday, they would do so with the qualified fields as they stood. If they were not able to race Monday, they would reopen the field on Saturday(to make up for the lost qualifying sessions) and race on Sunday. What is so hard to understand here?

Last edited:
Some good points on either side of this issue. By moving the race to a new weekend, we've got two days so why not use both, 2"Q's" on SAT. Race on Sun. After all Indy does get 5"Q's".

As far as the testing goes, HECK YEAH let 'em test. Safety Safary says the rubber is comming up. So unless you want a smoke-a-thon we need fresh rubber down.

But that was IF they raced on MONDAY! It was obviously an either or situation. If they were able to race on Monday, they would do so with the qualified fields as they stood. If they were not able to race Monday, they would reopen the field on Saturday(to make up for the lost qualifying sessions) and race on Sunday. What is so hard to understand here?

At the time they set the fields there was nothing said about next week. No if's or or's. I guess you can't beleave Mr. Light and the NHRA web page. What is so hard to understand here?

At the time they set the fields there was nothing said about next week. No if's or or's. I guess you can't beleave Mr. Light and the NHRA web page. What is so hard to understand here?

Actually in the interview I saw he indicated if they were unable to race on Monday then they would come back on the following Saturday, reopen qualifying and race on Sunday. That's what Larry Morgan was refering to when asked if he would do a rain dance. As Mr. Light announced later because of the track surface and several other issues, that's what happened. Should not have been a surprise to anyone as that possibility always existed.

Actually in the interview I saw he indicated if they were unable to race on Monday then they would come back on the following Saturday, reopen qualifying and race on Sunday. That's what Larry Morgan was refering to when asked if he would do a rain dance. As Mr. Light announced later because of the track surface and several other issues, that's what happened. Should not have been a surprise to anyone as that possibility always existed.

Seeing it is now Tuesday, and the decision has been made, the point is moot. Now everyone needs to quit crying about it.

Nobody gets "screwed" if the field were to have stood as is. Those ppl on the edge of the Countdown screwed themselves by not winning another round or two in the 7 months they had to do so. That's the way I view it.

Nobody gets "screwed" if the field were to have stood as is. Those ppl on the edge of the Countdown screwed themselves by not winning another round or two in the 7 months they had to do so. That's the way I view it.
The fans would have gotten screwed out of 2 rounds of qualifying.

Last edited:
As was said it a moot point. They are going to do whatever they want to.
Fans have been getting screwed at more than one race out of qualifying.
I know because I have. You can use the tickets towards next yr has been the practice. So IF they tickets are only good for this coming weekend and a fan CAN'T return then they are getting really screwed.

:confused:
I know because I have. You can use the tickets towards next yr has been the practice. So IF they tickets are only good for this coming weekend and a fan CAN'T return then they are getting really screwed.

Do you have tickets for next weekend and can't come back? If so let's talk turkey, I might be interested.

Well I had tickets for Sunday and Monday at Indy and am not able to make it back this coming weekend. I did speak to NHRA and they said that my tickets can be used as credit towards next year's US Nationals, so that's what I'm going to do. Obviously you can choose to sell them for this coming weekend as well. Remember though, only Sunday and Monday tickets will be valid for this coming Saturday and Sunday.

From here on out I suggest the re-opening of qualifying be referred to as "The Larry Morgan Rule".

Amazing how the 'NHRA should've done this or that' crowd pop out with their expert opinion long after NHRA actually had to MAKE the decision.

They're running a business and need to make decisions quickly, and keep a lot of vendors happy. What would some of you REALLY do if you were in their shoes?

If you've ever been to a European or Australian National Event, you'll see when it comes to rainout procedures, you guys are still way more organised than us.

Monday did turn out to be a nice day from late morning on (sunshine and all). When NHRA "set" the field on Sunday they did tell us that they will "unset" the field if we don't race on Monday.

Thanks for the prior retorts to my statement. I was speaking only of competition and the way things have been done before. But guess I've been screwed to in the past by the dreaded Monday Thunder Valley Nationals. But all is moot.

I think that if anyone should get one more qualifying shot it'd be pro mod, both alcohol classes, and finally pro stock. They only got a couple rounds in on Friday and pro stock got one round on Saturday and not even half the field for the third round on Saturday. Everyone knew the probability of rain ending qualifying, so after getting 60% of the qualifying runs in by Saturday, if you are one of the fifteen nitro cars not in the field, you had your chance, just like the thirty two cars who made it in. However, now that the the qualifying has been "unlocked" everything should stay just as it was Saturday evening. No stripping the car down to the bare frame and sending it out to be front-halved, no loading up the trailer and going out for test sessions. Treat next Saturday as if it were going into Sunday's fourth and fifth qualifying sessions. This would be the only fair way to run the show.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back