INDY Re-do, Gimme a break! (1 Viewer)

Rad

Nitro Member
INDY 2012.
In the past, if a race is rained out- we came back on the next day Sometimes. If not then we came back on the following weekend. At times such as Pomona one year, we came back on Friday and the track was open for scheduled time or Test runs. For the qualified field only. Then Saturday we raced And if it rained we had Sunday as a backup - that way we got the race in.
The guys that DNQ'd got to go home. Check out of the hotel and hit the road. The rest stayed, upped for another week worth of rooms, meals, return airfare and all the add-ons because they knew they had a first round check and they were gonna race.
THE FIELD WAS SET!
So this year at Indy they're going to let the other guys have 2 more shots? The guys that are in now may not be in? Why? because some of the Countdown heros may not be in? This is Crap! So now Cruz' er can fix that slug and get 2 more shots, or Jimmy Prock can throw the Hail Mary again.
Keep the field set, Let the DNQ's get out of the way and go test somewhere, - allow tune ups on Friday- race Saturday- keep Sunday in reserve in case Saturday gets rain and NO TESTING during the week. First this senseless Countdown, then 1000' now this.
Guess next they're just gonna set the field at each race based on points with 2 (maybe) spots open to the part time independent guys. The Countdown Blows. The fans are gonna come to the races wether the championship has been determined or not, they just want to see racing. Let Force wrap it up by Reading, Give Tim Wilkerson the Titles he deserved. ...........UUUGGGHHH!
Sorry folks just blowing off some steam. My Brother, Dakin and their guys bust their butts to get in with 28 cars there and are told their are in, only later to be told to come back next week and we'll see. Just isn't fair.

indy 2012.
In the past, if a race is rained out - we came back on the next day sometimes. If not then we came back on the following weekend. At times such as pomona one year, we came back on friday and the track was open for scheduled time or test runs. For the qualified field only. Then saturday we raced and if it rained we had sunday as a backup - that way we got the race in.

The guys that dnq'd got to go home. Check out of the hotel and hit the road. The rest stayed, upped for another week worth of rooms, meals, return airfare and all the add-ons because they knew they had a first round check and they were gonna race. the field was set!

so this year at indy they're going to let the other guys have 2 more shots? The guys that are in now may not be in? Why? Because some of the countdown heros may not be in? This is crap! So now cruz' er can fix that slug and get 2 more shots, or jimmy prock can throw the hail mary again.
Keep the field set, let the dnq's get out of the way and go test somewhere, - allow tune ups on friday- race saturday- keep sunday in reserve in case saturday gets rain and no testing during the week. First this senseless countdown, then 1000' now this.

Guess next they're just gonna set the field at each race based on points with 2 (maybe) spots open to the part time independent guys. The countdown blows. The fans are gonna come to the races wether the championship has been determined or not, they just want to see racing. Let force wrap it up by reading, give tim wilkerson the titles he deserved. ...........uuuggghhh!

Sorry folks just blowing off some steam. My brother, dakin and their guys bust their butts to get in with 28 cars there and are told their are in, only later to be told to come back next week and we'll see. Just isn't fair.

agreed!!!!!!

I don't know fellas, I think you can argue on either side of this decision.

What about the fan's that paid for Saturday but didn't get to see a full day of qualifying?

I'm assuming they get in again on Saturday for no additional cost.

What about the fan's that paid for Saturday but didn't get to see a full day of qualifying?

I like how Paul thinks. THE FANS ...
I am quite sure that was the last thought on NHRA's mind. Don't remember the rain policy for tickets. I think if it is 1 pro session you got your months worth.

I agree also. I do not race, but have been hanging around since the 1963 Winters and a member for "most" of that time. I gave up last year. It just ain't the same and I'm really tired of all the BS. It will take alot to get me back.

Very mixed feelings on this one. Great comments so far.

Yes, the fans that had tickets for Sunday and Monday now have a chance to see some racing. Great for the local fans, but not for the ones who made Indy a Memorial Weekend destination.

On the other hand, I feel for the teams that are in and assumed they had made the field, only to find out there will be 2 more rounds of qualifying next weekend.

They make up the rules as they go along. No surprise there.

Yep they do and surprise, surprise...Hight isn't qualified...

Is this decision a classic case of NHRA politics?

Dakin and their guys bust their butts to get in with 28 cars there and are told their are in, only later to be told to come back next week and we'll see. Just isn't fair.

Absolutely, especially some of the smaller, independent teams like Pat Dakin, Jon Capps and Blake Alexander. Do they have the funds to hang around for a week to qualify again or do they return home and come back (or not)? Does anyone know if the first 12 spots will again transfer? I personally think the 16 car field should stay as it is and then let the bumping begin in fairness to those who made the field in the rain shortened 3 rounds of qualifying. Just my $.02.

I don't quite get the outrage. Unfortunately, the remnants of a hurricane came through perfectly timed for this weekends race. It is a pretty unique situation. Sure you could try to rush the pros in, but is that fair to everyone else? What if they ran the pros, crammed in the race, then told the sportsman to come back next week?

You think the racers who made the field in the shortened qualifying sessions were sitting in their trailers praying for rain so that they were assured a spot in the race or do you think they would prefer to get in based on how they stack up against everyone else?

I guess I agree that I think it's a bit unfair to allow testing during the week, as the bigger budget teams clearly have an advantage there.

For the fans... yeah it sucks, but I buy tickets every year for that one weekend 4 months in advance and if the rains come it's an act of god and oh well... it is what it is.

I think it was a great call!

Absolutely agree Mark!! I was there and there was no way they were going to get the track ready to race today!

Since they called it early enough, I ended up going over to Indianapolis Motor Speedway later this afternoon to take the tour and see the museum. I ended up running into 3 of the safety safari guys and we were talking about it.....they said that with so much rain over the past two days that the water had gotten under the rubber that was on the track and it was starting to peel up. They said that there was nothing they could do today to get it ready and it would probably take several days to get the track back to where it needed to be.

Good call by the NHRA! And I'm one of the fans that flew 1,000 miles for the sole purpose of seeing the US Nationals....and no, I didn't get to see a single make a run or hear a car warm-up for two days straight! Back to ATL and try it again next year!

The run next weekend isn't a problem. The field is set well now we will reopen it. Thats the problem. Everyone had the extra same chance as always at the track. DID THEY NOT ? So now we will give the guys outside looking another chance to get in !! Starting to sounds like NASCAR.

Watch the interview with Height. He says he is sorry but that's the way it is. He said yesterday that they had 3 shots at it and he has mixed emotions about opening up qualifying again. He knows that this is kind of shady. Precedent has been set. All qualifying runs must be run or eliminations can not be run in future events.

Next time they have a saturdya rain out but sunday is clkear... i bet they have a quick q round on sunday morning... (slight sarcasam....lol)

They make up the rules as they go along. No suprise there.

Quoted for truth!

Some of the alky racers are in a tough position, check this out from Rick Jackson Racing:
The US Nationals has been postponed due to constant weather in the Indy area - sound familiar? We dealt with this last weekend in Topeka. The Topeka eliminations are scheduled for this Friday in Earlville, Iowa. Then Sat in Indy qualifying resumes here in Indy with at least one more session to set the field for Sunday Eliminations. As always, we'll update all our friends here at Rick Jackson Racing to let you know our plans....Thanks for hanging with us this weekend

Last edited:
The run next weekend isn't a problem. The field is set well now we will reopen it. Thats the problem. Everyone had the extra same chance as always at the track. DID THEY NOT ? So now we will give the guys outside looking another chance to get in !! Starting to sounds like NASCAR.

We are looking like the WWF or WWE whatever it is.

Exactly. There were cars qualified to 16 positions and beyond. As far as I'm concerned the field is set. There have been plenty of races in the past where they didn't get all of the qualifying sessions in due to weather and NHRA set the fields. Why not now? Oh that's right - because of the confusing, unnecessary, and irrelevant "provisional" qualifying. Can anyone explain how that makes the sport better for fans or racers?

And (as I don my flame-proof suit) as far as Hight not being qualified goes, chalk it up to karma for John's 2009 dive.

Well the Funny cars have the Traxxas race on saturday and I think Hight is the only car not in the big show on sunday.
I like the idea of opening up the field, but I think NHRA should at least give 1st round money to any car bumped out on saturday.

I think it was a great call!

The only reason you are saying this is because Hight needs the additional sessions to make the show. It would be ironic if it rains out next Saturday also and they run next Sunday with the fields that were set last night.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back