INDY Re-do, Gimme a break! (1 Viewer)

The only reason you are saying this is because Hight needs the additional sessions to make the show. It would be ironic if it rains out next Saturday also and they run next Sunday with the fields that were set last night.

and I wonder some here would be so upset if it wasn't a Force car that wasn't in, but say Hagen outside the top 16 looking to get in?

and I wonder some here would be so upset if it wasn't a Force car that wasn't in, but say Hagen outside the top 16 looking to get in?

I really want Cruz to do well and contend for the Championship and he isn't in and I still feel the same way. Since when do we unlock a field after it was set. Some independents who are currently in the field like Dakin and Paul Smith's team could be screwed by this. They have to shell out the cash to come back to what should be a guaranteed spot, but now they might lose that.

I think the Traxxas shootout being delayed had an impact on the decision as well.

That and with 2 days rained out, they need to get the sportsman going. Giving nitro on Saturday means that they can make money as well.

I understand both sides here. Glad it wasn't my call to make

The run next weekend isn't a problem. The field is set well now we will reopen it. Thats the problem. Everyone had the extra same chance as always at the track. DID THEY NOT ? So now we will give the guys outside looking another chance to get in !! Starting to sounds like NASCAR.

Let's just let them make test passes this week until they get it right.
This whole deal is unbelievable. This would never happen under S Gibbs' watch.

Next time they have a saturdya rain out but sunday is clkear... i bet they have a quick q round on sunday morning... (slight sarcasam....lol)

Been done before...1999 Memphis. One pro qualifying session Sunday before elims. Made for a great show. I imagine Traxxas has as much to do with this as anything. Funnycar shootout should be run at INDY. Hight is already in the dreaded countdown, so who cares. Let those on the bubble race for it. I've never heard of them unlocking a field either but these are unusual circumstances with the funny car shootout.

Been done before...1999 Memphis. One pro qualifying session Sunday before elims. Made for a great show. I imagine Traxxas has as much to do with this as anything. Funnycar shootout should be run at INDY. Hight is already in the dreaded countdown, so who cares. Let those on the bubble race for it. I've never heard of them unlocking a field either but these are unusual circumstances with the funny car shootout.[/QUOT

What's it got to do with the shootout. Run it on Saturday and give the qualified Full Throttle categories 2 runs to get the setup.

[/QUOT

What's it got to do with the shootout. Run it on Saturday and give the qualified Full Throttle categories 2 runs to get the setup.[/QUOTE]

So, how much are you going to charge people to get in for a test/tune session? Unlike 1000' feet, this seems to be the best solution for their current problem.

Just keep qualifying open until the right cars get in the show them close it....might take 5....6...7... attempts....but "we" will have the field we want.

I don't understand. The announcement from Mr. Light was crystal clear. IF and ONLY IF we can race Monday, everything stands. IF we can not then it's all being finished next weekend. The teams that got screwed by the weather were also helped by it, and the teams that may or may not have qualified Sunday were helped by the weather then potentially screwed by it. Nobody knows what next weekend brings. Again as someone mentioned, next Saturday could rain out also. I think it's amazing they got three NITRO sessions in. PS and PSM only got 2, remember the third was cancelled because of dew on the track. Pro Mod only got 1. Top Alcohol got 2. How about the 5 guys in Pro Mod, 10 in Top Alcohol Dragster and 8 guys in Top Alcohol Funny Car that were also going to just get sent packing? This is the biggest race of the year. They knew what a swamp the place would become. It was mentioned on twitter that according to the safety safari the rain started lifting the rubber on the track and it would take days to make it back to the condition it was. There wouldn't have been a race on tuesday, and it sure doesn't make sense to run it wednesday. It is terrible for the fans that can not come back, and it is terrible for the sportsman racers or even low buck pro racers who need to come home and can't come back. Erica already said Richie Stevens has an ADRL commitment fri-sat. If he gets bumped from 7th out of the field, he's out. There are a ton of variables, but to say they only re opened qualifying to get Hight, Pedregon, etc in the field is ridiculous. NHRA doesn't care who is in the race or who wins the race. They would have DQ'ed Beckman at the scales in Las Vegas 2007 if they wanted Force in the field to keep his qualifying streak intact. It was announced plain as day that these were the options, if option A happened, the race stands, if option B happened, it's open again. Everyone was aware of how it was going down. Traxxas is putting on a lot of money to run the Funny Car shootout. I fully agree people would not pay entry to just watch them run that along with 2 test passes that don't count. If i'm paying qualifying day prices I want to see all the cars run. If I only want to watch the quick 16 i'll come race day. It works much better with their ticket policy since ticket holders for both days can still use them on each day. The two day postponement was correct and the open qualifying was correct. Although they never declared it closed at the time, in 2003 they carried over 2 rounds of qualifying from the original weekend, and ran 3 rounds on the second weekend. The only rule that I absolutely hate in this is the top 12 rule, but that's a whole other story. NHRA did all they could to make it happen this weekend but next Sunday a lot of drivers will hoist U.S. Nationals wally's and be just as thrilled as ever.

EDIT: As of this post, forecasted highs next sat and sun are 72 degrees, I'd expect some wholesale changes in the orders.

Last edited:

The way I see it....Hagan fans should be happy. Right now, He'd be racing teammate Ron Capps in Round 1...with his countdown life on the line and Don doesn't do dives!

Looking at the weather this weekend. I don't know about how Indy is. But it looks kinda mineshafty.

Could see the quickest runs ever at the big go?

Judging by comments in the pits and twitter post, it was pretty known the plan, backup up plans and rain plans.

The only reason you are saying this is because Hight needs the additional sessions to make the show. It would be ironic if it rains out next Saturday also and they run next Sunday with the fields that were set last night.

Had nothing to do with Hight and everything to do with the fans getting a quality show. Besides, I get ALL the NHRA press releases and knew this to be a possibility long before the race was called on Monday morning.

So, you guys that are complaining, did you miss something?

Yes i would be just as upset and call it like i saying with force. Rules are rules
plain and simple. No game is fair if you make them up as you go along.

Had nothing to do with Hight and everything to do with the fans getting a quality show. Besides, I get ALL the NHRA press releases and knew this to be a possibility long before the race was called on Monday morning.

No, but you did. Anything except the offical press release is nothing more than a pit rumor.

I agree with PJ, I'm glad this isn't a decision I had to make... but I believe that after everything - and I do mean EVERYTHING - is taken into account, NHRA made the right decision this time. Here's my justifications:

- This is Indy. It seems every year someone starts a thread talking about how Indy has lost some of its magic, or something similar. So NHRA decides to re-open qualfying following a week off, partially because it's Indy, partially because of the TRAXXAS Shotout, and partially due to sponsorship commitments (for lack of a better phrase), and people are up in arms. (Note: I do believe testing for all entered cars should be suspended, similar to a red flag in NASCAR.)

- A lot of talk about the low-buck teams potentially getting bumped or not being able to return. Could it be construed as being unfair to them? Perhaps, but then again, life is unfair sometimes. What happens if NHRA freezes the field and reschedules for next weekend and then some of the low-buck teams can't return? Less than a 16 car field at INDY, that's what. I commend NHRA for thinking outside the box and trying something a little different... especially because it's Indy. Is it perfect? No, but neither would running the field as set.

- It could be argued that this benefits the high budget teams, but the entire series is slanted in their favor anyway - this is nothing new.

Some teams will get screwed, no doubt, but others will get a well deserved "second chance" and might just make something of it. In TF consider Terry McMillen, Cory Mac or The Greek. Or in FC, Bode. What will the Mater look like next weekend if one or all of them get in and Cruz, Hight, etc. still don't?

Aside from allowing testing, I think NHRA got this one right. Bottom line is that if the conditions improve as much as hoped, everyone will get an equal chance to get in and most, if not all of the current ladder will be rearranged dramatically - in all categories. It's Indy, baby, it's supposed to be exciting!!

I think i would get a quality show as a FAN with the 16 cars that are currently
qualified. Unless there is a press release saying that those cars didn't qualify.

No, but you did. Anything except the offical press release is nothing more than a pit rumor.

I was at Indy since Thursday. On Sunday, about 1 PM, Alan Rinehart came over the PA to announce the "plan". They were going to try to get 1 session in. If not, the fields were set, and we'd race Monday. If it cancelled Monday, the fields would reopen, we'd qualify the next Saturday, and race next Sunday. About 4 PM, they finally called it. So while you call it a Pit Rumor, an announcement over the track PA says every team was aware and so were the fans.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back