Big Chief at Indy (2 Viewers)

Old school is exactly right. Doc and Monza from the show are running at our local strip in Medford, Oregon this weekend. There are signs all over town, all the car guys at work are talking about it and my son and I are heading out to watch as well. Remember when "real drag racers" match-raced all over the country?

Gotta start somewhere! There's a big learning curve obviously, and I'm pretty sure even when Chief has run on tracks, it's been 1/8 mile.

Nevermind. I just looked it up.

I must say, I'm surprised at some of the performance gaps, Pro Mod included, where you can get your license and basically not even be in the same hemisphere for what it takes to just make the show.

Sean D

This video just came out tody. It's from Duck X, and Lenco Jim. They mention the Crow Mod being at the US Nationals.

WARNING, if you are offended by vulgar language DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO. You have been warned.

Fro Mod, Pro Fro.... lolol.

Nevermind. I just looked it up.

I must say, I'm surprised at some of the performance gaps, Pro Mod included, where you can get your license and basically not even be in the same hemisphere for what it takes to just make the show.

Sean D

Yeah, 2 runs of 6.90 or better and 2 runs over 190 mph is what it takes to get your Pro Mod License. And the license process is a big part of the ideals behind the Grade Point System. They want to make it possible for someone who can make a car run the minimum requirements to license be able to run and compete. You need a lot of runs to get more proficient at not only driving, but just even running/tuning your car, learning what it takes to run fast and safe. They would rather you learn at the divisional/regional level instead of possibly doing something that could hold up the big show at Nationals. The more experience you get, the easier it gets to register for the event. Even experienced drivers have enough to worry about just keeping their cars under control and in their lane, especially in the 6's and quicker. They don't want to or should need to worry about the person in the other lane making things more difficult for them. Everyone has to learn, but National Events aren't considered the best place for drag racing kindergarten with race cars. Requirements are as follows:

TF - 2 Runs 5.20 or quicker and 2 runs @ 260+mph
FC - 2 Runs 5.50 or quicker and 2 Runs @ 250+mph (Does that mean the Top 10 in TAFC have also licensed in FC without sitting in one? lol)
Pro Stock - 2 Runs 7.40 or Quicker & 2 Runs @ 175+mph
Pro Stock Scooter - 2 Runs 7.90 or quicker & 2 Runs 165+mph
TAD/TAFC - 2 Runs 6.20 or quicker & 2 Runs 205+mph

Does seem weird that you can license almost a full second off the quickest ET's, but again, they leave room for a learning curve. Takes time for a driver to get up to speed.

If you hear some of the pro guys, The more laps you do the slower the it becomes visually. Meaning the 1st time you down the track for the first few times, It's a blur but your brain adapts and allows you to be more aware in slow motion instead if a quick blur. I may be wrong.

If you hear some of the pro guys, The more laps you do the slower the it becomes visually. Meaning the 1st time you down the track for the first few times, It's a blur but your brain adapts and allows you to be more aware in slow motion instead if a quick blur. I may be wrong.

A lot of truth to that. The brain adjusts to the speed the more you do it, much like major league baseball players see a 90 mph fastball differently than we do. And not only that, but the driver adjusts to the nuances of driving the race car. You learn the difference between the car just doing something every lap vs. an Oh Shit, it's about to get stupid. Ignition coil dropping, loss of control tire shake vs. clutch locking up and tires shuffling a bit. The more experience you get, the more you can predict what the car is about to do because you've already experienced most of the tell tale signs, potential outcomes and if you can save the run vs. letting out or staying in it too long. And sometimes despite experience, the car will still do what physics wants instead of what you want, especially in the case of parts failure. But the hope is also that experience would help tell you something isn't right before the worst happens.

Yeah, 2 runs of 6.90 or better and 2 runs over 190 mph is what it takes to get your Pro Mod License. And the license process is a big part of the ideals behind the Grade Point System. They want to make it possible for someone who can make a car run the minimum requirements to license be able to run and compete. You need a lot of runs to get more proficient at not only driving, but just even running/tuning your car, learning what it takes to run fast and safe. They would rather you learn at the divisional/regional level instead of possibly doing something that could hold up the big show at Nationals. The more experience you get, the easier it gets to register for the event. Even experienced drivers have enough to worry about just keeping their cars under control and in their lane, especially in the 6's and quicker. They don't want to or should need to worry about the person in the other lane making things more difficult for them. Everyone has to learn, but National Events aren't considered the best place for drag racing kindergarten with race cars. Requirements are as follows:

FC - 2 Runs 5.50 or quicker and 2 Runs @ 250+mph (Does that mean the Top 10 in TAFC have also licensed in FC without sitting in one? lol)

Does seem weird that you can license almost a full second off the quickest ET's, but again, they leave room for a learning curve. Takes time for a driver to get up to speed.

Same with the super classes, a Super Comp license is good down to 7.50

I get all that. I've been licensed for nearly 30 years in some form or another. I haven't played on the higher levels, but I've had a Pro Stock license back in the '90's and have been 6.70's in a blown altered, so I get it. And yes, things slow down DRASTICALLY after a few laps. It's amazing what your brain is able to process and the subsequent decisions you can make in such a short amount of time, especially if you watch a comparable car go down the track from outside the car. I guess my point was that a 6.90 door car is NOTHING compared to even the car that will be on the bump this weekend in Pro Mod.

I'm being afforded the opportunity of a lifetime this fall (At least for a 46 year-old, outta shape fella). I'm going to be licensing in a D-3 A/Fuel car. So when I see that I will only need to run 6.20 or better, I'm not sure how to process that. On one hand, I suppose it's cool that the bar is so low, but on the other hand, how capable am I if that's all I can responsibly handle in a car that's already been .30's at nearly 270? In other words, I'm gonna feel really awkward having my license signed off if I can't show that I can properly handle the car at a competitive performance level.

Sean D

I get all that. I've been licensed for nearly 30 years in some form or another. I haven't played on the higher levels, but I've had a Pro Stock license back in the '90's and have been 6.70's in a blown altered, so I get it. And yes, things slow down DRASTICALLY after a few laps. It's amazing what your brain is able to process and the subsequent decisions you can make in such a short amount of time, especially if you watch a comparable car go down the track from outside the car. I guess my point was that a 6.90 door car is NOTHING compared to even the car that will be on the bump this weekend in Pro Mod.

I'm being afforded the opportunity of a lifetime this fall (At least for a 46 year-old, outta shape fella). I'm going to be licensing in a D-3 A/Fuel car. So when I see that I will only need to run 6.20 or better, I'm not sure how to process that. On one hand, I suppose it's cool that the bar is so low, but on the other hand, how capable am I if that's all I can responsibly handle in a car that's already been .30's at nearly 270? In other words, I'm gonna feel really awkward having my license signed off if I can't show that I can properly handle the car at a competitive performance level.

Sean D

Congrats on the A/Fuel Ride!!!

But it is all about room for learning. If you license in your own car with your own team, learning your way through a tune up, and the best you can muster are 6.10's, chances are you and your team aren't going to run 5.30's the next time you drive. You will work your way there over time, but unless you get in someone else's car with their tune up, it won't happen overnight. And you also have to consider that competitive runs are typically really close to the edge of not making it every lap. Takes some pressure off the tuner if you're not trying to rotate the earth and just make it down the track.

On the other hand, licensing in someone else's car, if you and they are comfortable with the car really hauling the mail, then there isn't a maximum. Run as quick as you can. Just remember you've gotta make full pulls. Can waste a lot of time and money just trying to license if you're blowing the tires off at the hit every lap.

Good Luck on your Licensing. That's a dream that many could wish to add to their bucket list.
When are you planning on doing it ?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back