Big Chief at Indy (1 Viewer)

They had some pretty cool hats at their trailer, but I wasn't willing to shovel out $40 for a flex fit hat when you could go over and get the same thing for $30 at the DSR trailer! The bad thing is that I looked on their website and you could get the same hat for $35!!! Talking about taking advantage of the people at the race!

They had some pretty cool hats at their trailer, but I wasn't willing to shovel out $40 for a flex fit hat when you could go over and get the same thing for $30 at the DSR trailer! The bad thing is that I looked on their website and you could get the same hat for $35!!! Talking about taking advantage of the people at the race!
I bet they make 2 times more profit at $35 than they did for $40 at a NHRA event.

I bet they make 2 times more profit at $35 than they did for $40 at a NHRA event.

That very well may be the case, but I'm not going to reach that deep into my pockets to buy a hat when all the other race teams are willing to sell it for 25% less.

I like the guy, and I would be more than willing to contribute to his race team if they weren't so damn greedy! Sometimes it's hard to see the forest through the trees!!

It's possible that the big teams can make the same money at the lower price because of the volume discount of large number orders, not saying that this is the case here, just a possibility, also pretty sure NHRA gets a cut of the price too

It's possible that the big teams can make the same money at the lower price because of the volume discount of large number orders, not saying that this is the case here, just a possibility, also pretty sure NHRA gets a cut of the price too

The NHRA has their hands in every bodies pocket. They pretty much ruined the manufacturers midway with their greed!

The NHRA has their hands in every bodies pocket. They pretty much ruined the manufacturers midway with their greed!

It used to be one of my Dad's favorite things to do. We would always get to the track early on Friday (think Pomona late 90s) and wander thru the seemingly endless manufacturer's midway. Now you can do it in 10 minutes. It is a weird economy inside the gates at a NHRA event. I do think the NHRA is entitled to a cut, their event is putting you in front of all of those customers, but on the other hand, you can't kill the goose laying the golden eggs. I also think the internet has really put an end to "real world commerce" as we knew it, way easier for me to go to any of their websites and order directly than to wait until the next event and shop the trailers on the midway. The loss of on site support for the racers does really suck though.

That they did. Depending on arrangements, sponsors shell out big bucks every year just to be named a sponsor. Then if you want a service/sales/display trailer on the midway to help service their damn show by helping your customers, then you shell out even more, on a per race basis(years ago I was quoted as high as 5 figures per race). I think the sponsors on the midway just pay their flat display fee, don't recall any sales % in the deal. Now on driver's merch, that's probably a whole different story.

But that's the big killer of the Manufacturer's Midway. For someone like MSD/Racepak, where EVERY car in every class in attendance probably runs something of yours, it makes sense. If you anticipate more in sales than it costs you to park the rig in the midway, then it makes sense. I don't know how Timmy Hyatt did it for all the years he was there for every national.

It used to be one of my Dad's favorite things to do. We would always get to the track early on Friday (think Pomona late 90s) and wander thru the seemingly endless manufacturer's midway. Now you can do it in 10 minutes. It is a weird economy inside the gates at a NHRA event. I do think the NHRA is entitled to a cut, their event is putting you in front of all of those customers, but on the other hand, you can't kill the goose laying the golden eggs. I also think the internet has really put an end to "real world commerce" as we knew it, way easier for me to go to any of their websites and order directly than to wait until the next event and shop the trailers on the midway. The loss of on site support for the racers does really suck though.

You touched on a couple things that resonate. Firstly I'm one of those guys who likes to peruse the products in the midway and have seen it dwindle over the years. While I agree it's an internet commerce world - and I buy plenty that way - there's nothing like hands-on touch it, feel it, see it in person for me to evaluate products. Plus I can talk to reps who are not just phone jockey salesmen - they really know the products and applications. Even if I don't buy that day, I have made purchasing decisions. So to me a smaller midway actually detracts from my raceday experience - whether I'm racing at the event or just spectating - and reduces the perceived value of what I paid for at the gate.

Secondly, having the manufacturers on-site with a trailer full of parts means I carry less spares, or can actually get that gizmo I need to make the next round TODAY. NHRA should be working extra hard to attract these manufacturers back into the midway.

Well, we're about a mile off-topic now :oops:

That they did. Depending on arrangements, sponsors shell out big bucks every year just to be named a sponsor. Then if you want a service/sales/display trailer on the midway to help service their damn show by helping your customers, then you shell out even more, on a per race basis(years ago I was quoted as high as 5 figures per race). I think the sponsors on the midway just pay their flat display fee, don't recall any sales % in the deal. Now on driver's merch, that's probably a whole different story.

But that's the big killer of the Manufacturer's Midway. For someone like MSD/Racepak, where EVERY car in every class in attendance probably runs something of yours, it makes sense. If you anticipate more in sales than it costs you to park the rig in the midway, then it makes sense. I don't know how Timmy Hyatt did it for all the years he was there for every national.
I saw that MSD just pulled their trailer from the midway.
Must not work for them either.

You touched on a couple things that resonate. Firstly I'm one of those guys who likes to peruse the products in the midway and have seen it dwindle over the years. While I agree it's an internet commerce world - and I buy plenty that way - there's nothing like hands-on touch it, feel it, see it in person for me to evaluate products. Plus I can talk to reps who are not just phone jockey salesmen - they really know the products and applications. Even if I don't buy that day, I have made purchasing decisions. So to me a smaller midway actually detracts from my raceday experience - whether I'm racing at the event or just spectating - and reduces the perceived value of what I paid for at the gate.

Secondly, having the manufacturers on-site with a trailer full of parts means I carry less spares, or can actually get that gizmo I need to make the next round TODAY. NHRA should be working extra hard to attract these manufacturers back into the midway.

Well, we're about a mile off-topic now :oops:

What you described is what is killing big box stores. People go to Best Buy to look at a TV or whatever, then go home and buy it off Amazon.

My Dad definitely made purchasing decisions based on what he saw in those trailers on the midway. He had a boat with a 350 inboard motor, he bought carb, adapter plate, intake manifold, heads, dry sump and a cam for that motor, that ostensibly had no racing application, from the guys in those trailers (or out of their catalogs).

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back