Big Chief at Indy (1 Viewer)

I bet there's not a one of the whiners who wouldn't give up a body part in order to be in Chief's shoes.
I'm glad for him. It's good for NHRA and it's good for Pro Mod.
Maybe NHRA will run it in place of Pro Stock. (One can hope.)

At the last PRI show Big Chief's autograph line was way longer than John Force's was (his autograph line wrapped around the booth JF was in, Force wasn't very happy about that).

Does he really race that on the street? It's street racing (or close) so I won't watch it. I thought it was cars with a bit of a tune up, not straight up drag cars that shouldn't be on the street

Is someone really that naive to say Force is more popular than Big Chief? lol Keep them coming, this is comical.

Is someone really that naive to say Force is more popular than Big Chief? lol Keep them coming, this is comical.

Define "popular". All I know is that whenever I have mentioned drag racing to a non-fan only 3 names ever came up - Garlits, Muldowney and Force. Not sure where "Big Chief" fits in that equation.

I don't have a dog in that fight, I was never a Force fan and I really don't care about pro mod in general...just saying that I don't think the two are in the same league. Heck I'm a drag racing fan and I have no idea who Big Chief is. Couldn't pick him out of a lineup if my life depended on it. lol

There is a difference between autograph line and people knowing the name Force.. Most old hat fans have been hearing Force's antics for so long they don't care anymore.. but they still know who he is. People who know nothing else about NHRA know who John Force is.

Most old hat fans have been hearing Force's antics for so long they don't care anymore.. but they still know who he is.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Chief is in his hay-day right now. Force is past his. When Force was in his prime, the lines were loooooong.

The only common denominator between these two is drag racing, and with Street Outlaws, even that's a stretch. Other than that, apples and oranges.

Sean D

Define "popular". All I know is that whenever I have mentioned drag racing to a non-fan only 3 names ever came up - Garlits, Muldowney and Force. Not sure where "Big Chief" fits in that equation.

I don't have a dog in that fight, I was never a Force fan and I really don't care about pro mod in general...just saying that I don't think the two are in the same league. Heck I'm a drag racing fan and I have no idea who Big Chief is. Couldn't pick him out of a lineup if my life depended on it. lol

Depends on who you ask. I've worked in 2 very large offices with mostly 20-30 year olds and the car guys have no idea who Garlits, Muldowney and Force are.

Many young people born after 2000 have no idea who many of drag racing famous people are or what they have accomplished that made them famous.

I get calls all the time from customers who ask where Lion's Drag Strip was located or even what state it was in and it used to drive me crazy until a good friend said to me you remember those day's but young people simply don't know anything about it.

These same young people ask me about things like Drifting and stuff I really have no knowledge of so I realize just how out of touch I am with things they are interested in.

Must be a sure sign that I am getting older then I really want to be!!!

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Many young people born after 2000 have no idea who many of drag racing famous people are or what they have accomplished that made them famous.

I get calls all the time from customers who ask where Lion's Drag Strip was located or even what state it was in and it used to drive me crazy until a good friend said to me you remember those day's but young people simply don't know anything about it.

These same young people ask me about things like Drifting and stuff I really have no knowledge of so I realize just how out of touch I am with things they are interested in.

Must be a sure sign that I am getting older then I really want to be!!!

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

I am 42 years old ... Lions closed BEFORE I WAS BORN. Over the years, Lions has become like Woodstock, EVERYONE of a certain age was there LOL.

To expect anyone under 35 who came up with only 1 Pro Drag Strip in So Cal and NHRA National Events as the only real fuel car outlet to know anything about Lions is unrealistic. The fact that they are calling and asking should be a good sign that people are still interested and want to learn. The phenomenon is not unique to Lions, I had a friend who went into a Starbucks in Ontario, told the barista they were standing on about where the turn 3/4 complex was at the old Ontario Motor Speedway was and the barista had no idea what they were talking about, and that barista was born and raised in Ontario. The last time I checked into a hotel in Bakersfield for the March Meet the person working behind the counter had no idea there was a drag strip nearby or what the March Meet was or that it had been going on for over 50 years. She then replied "so that's why the rooms are so expensive this weekend and we are sold out". You could almost see the light bulb over her head.

Lions.png
Your post got me to jump on Google earth and see what is there. You can see where the track was.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back