Big Chief at Indy (1 Viewer)

Last but not least.

This is from an interview with Kevin Fiscus:

E3: All I see are people complaining that he was able to register with no grade points and no NHRA license.
KF: To me it is pretty simple, this week the registration opened up for drivers having one and more grade points. One can only assume he must have registered with one grade point. I know he has a NHRA license because I actually signed off on his single license passes which were made at Texas Motorplex prior to the American Outlaws Live event where we both competed earlier this year. You have to know how the system works and if you have at least one grade point you can still register because as I answer this question, there are two spot still open. If you got at least one grade point quit bitching and put it in the lanes if not sit back and enjoy the show!

He runs 1/8 mile. maybe he running with jr dragsters lol. Whats interesting is Billy glidden is entered with his car and now Jonathon Gray is entered in the camaro he drove earlier this year??? Wasnt Billy glidden running the camaro?

Without getting into the controversy about the show's premise, Justin seems like a decent guy who loves drag racing. And we're in a brave new world, people are obsessed with celebrity, so having him at Indy will definitely bring more eyeballs to the class. On July 3rd, our local track, Empire Dragway, had 4 SO cars. Daddy Dave was one, and actually Larry Larson was there also. The track pulled in 9,000 spectators that day! Which is fantastic, because the track has new owners and we all need our local tracks to succeed.

Saw this on a Comp + post and I thought it was brilliant.

"What IF, NHRA was trying to woo a certain TV network with the carrot being dangled in front of one of their reality TV show stars who just happens to race?
They give him a shot, good exposure for said TV network and NHRA. and a deal is hammered out for said TV network to sponsor the series one of their stars races in... Hmmm... you heard it here 1st... I hope... "

You may have people coming to Indy just to see this guy who have never been to an NHRA event before. Lest not forget the zoo that Donald Ducks Lights Out evet in Georga was when this guy was there.

Lets see what his RT's are. Maybe he has a practice tree in his trailer. You know-a guy holding a flashlight. :eek:

I hope the PR works.. I've been a little outspoken on other boards on the subject of quota and this is probably the first race all season where someone with 1 grade point magically could even register, and quota is 4 higher at this race than any other PM event so far. That is what it is at this point. My frustration comes from seeing potential PM racers jumping through all the hoops for the last few years just to be able to get in to a National, and this guy decides he wants to do it and the Red Tape Sea seems to part. It is good that he won't be on the street, but unless its a permanent change for him, I don't see the success. I'm a big fan of drag racing and I want to see as many participants as possible and I want to see our sport flourish. I hope my gut instinct is wrong and this does become a permanent move for him, but for now the gut tells me this is a PR stunt on all angles. The guy is famous because he did everything against why NHRA exists and glorified it on TV, and has a TV viewership doing it by at least 2.5 times NHRA's best ratings so far this year. I don't think they'll be giving up the format or lead character anytime soon when they've got the #1 cable show on their night. I don't think it is a paid appearance, they just made it a lot easier than normal for the opportunity and that's the beef most people have.

As for the PR, I think it will be good for drag racing media outlets to write more stories on, and more attention for Chief. But I don't believe for a minute that fans of his show aren't already familiar with NHRA. For whatever reason, they choose not to watch or attend NHRA events. And unless they show Pro Mods on the regular broadcast show(or on his show for that matter), I don't see much benefit of a boost or raising awareness because of his participation happening. You may get a few extra fans in the seats to see it, but Indy also isn't $50 for a 2 day race with the whole cast of the show.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I really hope I'm wrong and this turns out not just to be a stunt, and helps NHRA turn another corner with new fan appeal. And I hope its apparent that my sour taste isn't towards Chief, but NHRA. As the kids say, "Don't hate the player, hate the game.." I really want to be positive about this, but I've seen so many cross promotional stunts just float away.. Anybody else remember that Kurt Busch drove Pro Stock 5 years ago at the Gators and was seen for a couple years prior learning how to drag race leading up to the debut? Hell, I had to look up what year it happened myself.

I don't really see a problem with allowing Justin Shearer to enter Pro Mod. There's a lot of focus on him because of the Street Outlaws show, and the whole street racing aspect. It's kinda difficult to predict, or know the pending failure of an event when it hasn't even happened yet. Will it get Justin off the streets? Hopefully, but it's not like he's the first to ever street race, and then go on to sanctioned drag racing. I don't think there will be a big focus on the Fox broadcast.; maybe a quick interview and a status update. What I'm thinking is there will be a big Discovery Channel presence, as this will probably be taped and shown on their upcoming season. Look at Gas Monkey when they sponsored Kebin Kinsley in Top Fuel; they're still showing those episodes. Is it fair to the other Pro Mod racers? Probably not. But at the same time this will give Justin a real taste of what "track racing" is all about. I'm not saying he can't do it, but someone might wanna breakout the number 2 pencils cause there will be lessons given, and notes taken.

I wouldn't get caught up in the whole PR angle of it as it relates to others who have jumped over for one race like Kurt Busch and John Andretti. They were completely different in that neither were Drag Racers. I mean Kurt dabbled in it more than Andretti. But at least Shearer is a Drag Racer at heart, just need him to keep it at the track. I'm not expecting big gate numbers because "Chief from Street Outlaws is here!". This will probably be something that is evaluated over the off season in terms of what did it accomplish.

I hope the PR works.. I've been a little outspoken on other boards on the subject of quota and this is probably the first race all season where someone with 1 grade point magically could even register, and quota is 4 higher at this race than any other PM event so far. That is what it is at this point. My frustration comes from seeing potential PM racers jumping through all the hoops for the last few years just to be able to get in to a National, and this guy decides he wants to do it and the Red Tape Sea seems to part. It is good that he won't be on the street, but unless its a permanent change for him, I don't see the success. I'm a big fan of drag racing and I want to see as many participants as possible and I want to see our sport flourish. I hope my gut instinct is wrong and this does become a permanent move for him, but for now the gut tells me this is a PR stunt on all angles. The guy is famous because he did everything against why NHRA exists and glorified it on TV, and has a TV viewership doing it by at least 2.5 times NHRA's best ratings so far this year. I don't think they'll be giving up the format or lead character anytime soon when they've got the #1 cable show on their night. I don't think it is a paid appearance, they just made it a lot easier than normal for the opportunity and that's the beef most people have.

As for the PR, I think it will be good for drag racing media outlets to write more stories on, and more attention for Chief. But I don't believe for a minute that fans of his show aren't already familiar with NHRA. For whatever reason, they choose not to watch or attend NHRA events. And unless they show Pro Mods on the regular broadcast show(or on his show for that matter), I don't see much benefit of a boost or raising awareness because of his participation happening. You may get a few extra fans in the seats to see it, but Indy also isn't $50 for a 2 day race with the whole cast of the show.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I really hope I'm wrong and this turns out not just to be a stunt, and helps NHRA turn another corner with new fan appeal. And I hope its apparent that my sour taste isn't towards Chief, but NHRA. As the kids say, "Don't hate the player, hate the game.." I really want to be positive about this, but I've seen so many cross promotional stunts just float away.. Anybody else remember that Kurt Busch drove Pro Stock 5 years ago at the Gators and was seen for a couple years prior learning how to drag race leading up to the debut? Hell, I had to look up what year it happened myself.

I don't really see a problem with allowing Justin Shearer to enter Pro Mod. There's a lot of focus on him because of the Street Outlaws show, and the whole street racing aspect. It's kinda difficult to predict, or know the pending failure of an event when it hasn't even happened yet. Will it get Justin off the streets? Hopefully, but it's not like he's the first to ever street race, and then go on to sanctioned drag racing. I don't think there will be a big focus on the Fox broadcast.; maybe a quick interview and a status update. What I'm thinking is there will be a big Discovery Channel presence, as this will probably be taped and shown on their upcoming season. Look at Gas Monkey when they sponsored Kebin Kinsley in Top Fuel; they're still showing those episodes. Is it fair to the other Pro Mod racers? Probably not. But at the same time this will give Justin a real taste of what "track racing" is all about. I'm not saying he can't do it, but someone might wanna breakout the number 2 pencils cause there will be lessons given, and notes taken.

I wouldn't get caught up in the whole PR angle of it as it relates to others who have jumped over for one race like Kurt Busch and John Andretti. They were completely different in that neither were Drag Racers. I mean Kurt dabbled in it more than Andretti. But at least Shearer is a Drag Racer at heart, just need him to keep it at the track. I'm not expecting big gate numbers because "Chief from Street Outlaws is here!". This will probably be something that is evaluated over the off season in terms of what did it accomplish.

E3: All I see are people complaining that he was able to register with no grade points and no NHRA license.
KF: To me it is pretty simple, this week the registration opened up for drivers having one and more grade points. One can only assume he must have registered with one grade point. I know he has a NHRA license because I actually signed off on his single license passes which were made at Texas Motorplex prior to the American Outlaws Live event where we both competed earlier this year. You have to know how the system works and if you have at least one grade point you can still register because as I answer this question, there are two spot still open. If you got at least one grade point quit bitching and put it in the lanes if not sit back and enjoy the show!

You can read the entire Kevin Fiscus interview here http://www.e3xtreme.net/one-on-one-...on-1-with-pro-mod-standout-kevin-flash-fiscus

Justin Shearer is entered in Pro Mod at Indy.
Welcome to NHRA!

And those who want to read something into this just remember that the original mission of Wally and NHRA was getting guys off the streets to race on the track!

Another reason to go to Indy this year.
(Full disclosure, I was thinking about going anyway)

Alan

Glad to know you were thinking about going Alan! Lol

You can read the entire Kevin Fiscus interview here http://www.e3xtreme.net/one-on-one-...on-1-with-pro-mod-standout-kevin-flash-fiscus

I have no idea why you're quoting me. I have no issue with Shearer entering Pro Mod.

I should probably clarify that I don't have a problem with him entering, my beef was with how he was able to enter vs. the normal route most PM racers have to take. And nothing happens in Pro Mod like this without the backing/approval from the RPM Association, so I guess if they're on board, I really shouldn't care.

Too bad PS Truck is gone ,FarmTruck could enter that

There is always Top Sportsman!! Kye Kelley is in Memphis at the PDRA Race, but only doing exhibition passes from what I have seen, with a new Musi power plant in his Camaro.

I read the interview after you posted it the quote the first time. He has some pretty valid points towards the NHRA boost limiting too. If RPM is on board, then I guess I really shouldn't care.

From Justin Shearer.
soooooo, I am entered in the US Nationals in my slow wannabe Pro Mod!!!!! And I'm excited as hell!!

Just want to clarify a few things.

NHRA did not, has not, and haven't even spoken about paying me a dime to do anything.

I have a legitimate NHRA Pro Mod License, and I made my passes in front of other pro mod drivers (Kevin Fiscus Jeff Lutz) also in front of the tech inspector and track manager at Texas Motorplex back in April-May of this year and they signed off on my paperwork that I paid for, along with my physical.

I have the grade points needed by the rules.

I am spending every dime I have to make the car legal for all the rules NHRA has in place to keep me safe.

I have planned and told many many people that I was going to do everything I could to make this years US Nationals in my slow Pro Mod. And I did.

In the NHRA defense.....I have not contacted them requesting or requiring special treatment, and the NHRA did not contact me asking, paying, requesting, or requiring me to run at the US Nationals.

There are a few great people in Pro Mod that gave me some pointers and helped me understand the point system and how to obtain them so I could register over the last few months.

the Us Nationals is a dream come true, and to all the haters......I won't be the only one on that list that doesn't qualify lololol. I'll be lookin for your names, listed above me on the sheets after qualifying. Bet you ain't gonna be on there.

oh and no big cooperate sponsors bought me an engine or any crap like that.

I will be there with my car that I paid cash for (not my families money, not my dads money, not borrowed money, not sponsored money) Hard earned 100 dollar bills.

I will be driving my own car with my NHRA Pro Mod license that I earned.

I will be using my 4 year old Butler Pontiac 482 CI engine that I paid for

I will be tuning my own car with hard earned knowledge and a little luck

I will haul it to Indy (not fly in with my helmet) in my trailer I paid cash for, behind my 250k mile Chevy truck I paid for.

My car, my engine, my crew, my tools, my parts, my laptop, my friends and my stereo system in my trailer blasting offensive trap music all weekend lololol.....

How many of you throwing Internet stones can say the same thing? If any of you jerks wanted it near as bad as I do, your name would be on that list as well!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back