WJ's Car Swaps Ends? (2 Viewers)

I've got way too much time on my hands.....Kids are in their prime and going back out tour is unthinkable...so I let business run its course....Sorry guys

Nope, In 1984 at Indy, I think the guys name was...Brooks, he went over the wall.

Amato didn't run the ground effects car untill 91.

Paul........I believe the guy that went over the armco guard rail at Indy in '84 was Phil Hobbs. Got way out of shape and over the rail. With the throttle wide open, it ground itself down to the drivers compartment before going bottom up with the motor still running. He received a broken ankle for his efforts. I have that crash on video from the old American Sports Cavalcade on TNN. Phil Hobbs was part of the '60s Top Fuel team of Hirata & Hobbs.

Late.........................Mitch

Nope, In 1984 at Indy, I think the guys name was...Brooks, he went over the wall.

Amato didn't run the ground effects car untill 91.

Brooks Brown, driving the Montana Express car, went over the wall near the finish line in Gainesville. Don't recall the year. Amato was in the other lane. They were the last pair down the track in the last qualifying session. It was very nasty. As I recall it took Brooks about a year to get back to the point where he could get back in a racecar, which he only did a couple of times after that.

That was one of those "chassis failure behind the drivers pod" dealies. And yes, that was VERY ugly.

Late..........................Mitch

Brooks Brown, driving the Montana Express car, went over the wall near the finish line in Gainesville. Don't recall the year. Amato was in the other lane. They were the last pair down the track in the last qualifying session. It was very nasty. As I recall it took Brooks about a year to get back to the point where he could get back in a racecar, which he only did a couple of times after that.

Ahh.... Sorry, It was not Brooks Brown, it was Marhsall Topping, and he was not racing Amato..I think he was racing Scott Kalitta... 1997 was the year.
The chassis came apart right behind the driver, just coming into the lights, and it made a hard right hand turn into the wall.

Anyways, that crash delayed the last few pairs of that final session and Amato set low ET 4.59 on the last pass down.

Last edited:
Ahh.... Sorry, It was not Brooks Brown, it was Marhsall Topping, and he was not racing Amato..I think he was racing Scott Kalitta... 1997 was the year.
The chassis came apart right behind the driver, just coming into the lights, and it made a hard right hand turn into the wall.

Anyways, that crash delayed the last few pairs of that final session and Amato set low ET 4.59 on the last pass down.

He was close, just got the wrong brother (If I remember correctly, Brooks is adopted). :)

Even worse was the video just below that of Eddie Hill's last pass ever. Depressing at best. :(

Greg, you’re right… that was a bad one!!!!!

Are you sure that was his last pass ever?? I remember Eddie having 2 major explosions on back to back race weekends. If my memory is correct, I think the second explosion happened just after the hit and was so bad Eddie suffered a back injury from the concussion. As a result, the Safety Safari had to cut the top of the drivers hoop off the car so they could lift Eddie straight out of the car without bending his back. Shortly after is when Eddie announced his retirement.

Is it possible this was Eddie’s second to last pass? I could be wrong…….

Brian :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back