WJ's Car Swaps Ends? (1 Viewer)

chop

Nitro Member
Rumor has it that WJ's car went so fast in testing that the colors swapped ends on it. The rumor has it that the yellow on the front went to the rear and the blue on the back went to the front. Man,that's fast.:rolleyes:

You know...WJ is one of the few PS owner/drivers that has never swapped paint w/ anyone/anything....that is remarkable considering the amount of laps he's made...kind of like Amato who never had a wreck....

WJ stuffed one in the wall at Rockingham in the early 90s, I think the chute pulled the rear of the car off the ground.

Amato bouned off the wall in Houston 97 after a wheelstand, and in Dallas 1999 in a last ditch qualifying shot, he blew it up, took out both rear tires and sent him spinning into the wall and through the shutdown area. The car was not tore up that bad, but he needed to bring out a back up becasue it tore the mounts for the front wing off.

Last edited:
Strange.....if you go to the NHRA highlight reels in 99 there is nothing on Amato crashing and they usually show every burp in action....His brother is a ski instructor in PA and mentioned years ago that JOE never had an incident aside from the wheelstand next to Kenny and that car was still usable after the incident.

Amato was one of the best...he would never approve of some of these youngsters today and their 'in over their head' driving styles....

"Amato never experienced a bad crash in his career, but the thousands of runs he made eventually took their toll on his health. He suffered through chronic back pain in the latter years and decided to call it a career following the 2000 season after a detached retina began to interfere with his vision. Two weeks after undergoing laser eye surgery to correct the problem, Amato was back in the car and back in the winner's circle, in Denver." from Kevin Mckenna.........

"Amato never experienced a bad crash in his career, but the thousands of runs he made eventually took their toll on his health. He suffered through chronic back pain in the latter years and decided to call it a career following the 2000 season after a detached retina began to interfere with his vision. Two weeks after undergoing laser eye surgery to correct the problem, Amato was back in the car and back in the winner's circle, in Denver." from Kevin Mckenna.........

Believe me, he crashed in Dallas.

1999 NHRA 'archives of the year' has no mention of an Amato crash.....Chris Graves who photos every event in TX has no photo of an Amato crash either...gets your facts straight on Amato who has the most polished history on keeping the shiny side up....

LOL... What's your problem???

Ohh Chris Graves doesn't have it on his website... dang must not of happened then.

Matco Tools SuperNationals: Joe Amato Tenneco Top Fueler

Scroll down about half way buddy..

I have this crash on tape also :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Also, they had the car fixed in Pomona, I was there when Murf welded a new front nose on the car, which they didn't end up using anyways.

Now what?

I am not saying anything bad about Joe in this case ethier, I was his biggest fan for a long time.

Last edited:
Got it...thought we were talking about major crashes where the car was a write off.
I think Amato got through his career 'cleaner' than any other driver in history in regards to a T/F dragster.....

Amazing how a thread about a rumor that WJ's car has a new paint scheme turns into if Amato could drive or not.:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back