Where's all the low buck teams? (1 Viewer)

Oh yeah you right about the Silver Fern. William I worked for Ken Lovegrove. He raced an econo dragster there. William, how many tracks are there and whats the weather like right now?

Hey guys, when you're talking about low buck racers don't forget Peter & Helen Russo from Australia, they don't call them the Working Class Heroes for nothing!

Four Australian Funny Car titles, numerous event wins and national records, a number of Aust v USA wins against the likes of Hofmann, Densham, etc.

A great run from Peter at Pomona today, 5.03 with the belt off it at 4.1s ... :eek:

Good luck to them tomorrow (Sat)!

I didn't make that site it was started by one of the drag teams here in new zealand , I forget which team it was . It was made to show dragracing in new zealand to the rest of the world . When ever someone asks about drag racing here I just tell them to go to that site.

Yeah and it's acceptable for Lucas, Cruz, Troxel and Baca to spew the guts out of them things every other run.:rolleyes:

Not to me it's not! I think the oildown penalties need to be stricter, especially with the cars that put the Safety Safari on High alert! Tony you didn't go to Pomona when Arlie Langlo or Art Hendy competed, it was a 20-30 minute break guaranteed!:confused:

Last edited:
Hey guys, when you're talking about low buck racers don't forget Peter & Helen Russo from Australia, they don't call them the Working Class Heroes for nothing!

Four Australian Funny Car titles, numerous event wins and national records, a number of Aust v USA wins against the likes of Hofmann, Densham, etc.

A great run from Peter at Pomona today, 5.03 with the belt off it at 4.1s ... :eek:

Good luck to them tomorrow (Sat)!

Gerald, Paul Rogers texted me as soon as Peter laid down that pass.;)

Not to me it's not! I think the oildown penalties need to be stricter, especially with the cars that put the Safety Safari on High alert! Tony you didn't go to Pomona when Arlie Langlo or Art Hendy competed, it was a 20-30 minute break guaranteed!:confused:

I don't think these drivers go out there with the intention of oiling down the track.:rolleyes:

They have sponsors, owners & others that they need to keep happy & this is not the way to do it. So to suggest stricter penalties when the drivers are all ready kicking their own butts is CRAZY.

I don't think these drivers go out there with the intention of oiling down the track.:rolleyes:

They have sponsors, owners & others that they need to keep happy & this is not the way to do it. So to suggest stricter penalties when the drivers are all ready kicking their own butts is CRAZY.

Who ever suggested they do it on purpose? But constant downtime is killing this sport. I'll never forget at Phoenix like 97-98 can't remember exactly, at the Start of a Fuel session. The first 3 pairs took almost an hour, a family sitting right behind me got up and left, The Father yelling "I can't believe people pay to see this shit!" Professional Drag racing is Show business, if any car sponsored or not can't figure out the problems getting down the Track. Put them on Probation, worked for Jack Wyatt.

Who ever suggested they do it on purpose? But constant downtime is killing this sport. I'll never forget at Phoenix like 97-98 can't remember exactly, at the Start of a Fuel session. The first 3 pairs took almost an hour, a family sitting right behind me got up and left, The Father yelling "I can't believe people pay to see this shit!" Professional Drag racing is Show business, if any car sponsored or not can't figure out the problems getting down the Track. Put them on Probation, worked for Jack Wyatt.
Joe,

We are gonna have our differences on this one but I will still go eat at Papasitos on I-45!!:D

Noise, Teri...

I stood freezin' my butt off for the hero runs Friday night at Richmond and watched as several teams pulled out of line... was I happy? Nope. Was it the track? Could be... but,

Over the three day weekend, I spent more time watching that tractor, The S/S trucks and Super-vac run than all racing total... got to the point I was praying for a clean run... But, I put up with it... maybe I'm weird, I'm sure not the casual fan, if I was, I would have left and never came back...

Could all the oil downs have anything to do with the 'governor' dropping cylinders at a certain RPM, makes sense to me, slow the cars down by making them mis-fire...

Tony you didn't go to Pomona when Arlie Langlo or Art Hendy competed, it was a 20-30 minute break guaranteed!:confused:
Joe, I didn't just walk out of some cotton field and become a drag racing fan. I've seen my share of bad oil downs and many were from well funded teams.

Oil downs don't typically bother me much. Nitro drag racing is an extreme sport and shit happens.

If you think oil downs are bad , here in wanganui new zealand there is an anual hydroplane time trial race on the wanganui river once a year . I go to watch it every year and sometimes you have to wait 2-3+ hours before a boat goes in the water because of something more dangerous then oil ....logs.
At the end of the day in any motorsport there are things that can postpone and halt races and its just the way it is , its allways worth the wait though.

Joe, I didn't just walk out of some cotton field and become a drag racing fan. I've seen my share of bad oil downs and many were from well funded teams.

Oil downs don't typically bother me much. Nitro drag racing is an extreme sport and shit happens.

Well shit then, I guess I'm in the Minority who thinks oildowns are Killing this sport. Like Karl said, us Diehards we just Bite our tongue and Bear these delays. But I often wonder how many first timers never come back for that very reason. This shit's turning into a pissing contest, I'm done!:confused:

Joe, I don't think oil downs are killing the sport but there not good for the sport either. Joe, There's a lot less oil downs then there use to be . But who could forget that long oil down by a well funded team at Indy. Joe, I think NHRA is handling it the best they can .

Tony, is it the bloody MSD box that killing the motors? Purposely mis-fireing a motor can't be good for it...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back