NHRA Ticket Prices (1 Viewer)

- BIR friday thru sunday....gas, admission, reserved seat, camping 3 nites, golf cart, food/beverage ....$500.00+
- july golf tourny @ brainerd resort. friday & sat. ....gas, accomodations 2 nites, 3 rnds. golf, entry fees, food/beverage ....$700.00+
-STAYING UP AT THE TIKI BAR 'TILL 4AM SATURDAY NIGHT fun factor for both....priceless

Fixed. :D

While the admission price alone is not that bad, all of this talk is comparing apples and oranges. Prices at major sporting events have skyrocketed over the years because of the salaries of the athletes. You go to a Yankees game and realize you're paying a ton because of the ridiculous payroll to pay the players. Unlike the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB, the NHRA is a not for profit organization. The athletes do not get paid from the gate, matter of fact they're getting socked too. They try to hustle for a couple bucks and get fleeced by the NHRA as well, paying to set up stands and even paying for the right to provide hospitality tents because that takes business away the NHRAs concessions.

While the admission price alone is not that bad, all of this talk is comparing apples and oranges. Prices at major sporting events have skyrocketed over the years because of the salaries of the athletes. You go to a Yankees game and realize you're paying a ton because of the ridiculous payroll to pay the players. Unlike the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB, the NHRA is a not for profit organization. The athletes do not get paid from the gate, matter of fact they're getting socked too. They try to hustle for a couple bucks and get fleeced by the NHRA as well, paying to set up stands and even paying for the right to provide hospitality tents because that takes business away the NHRAs concessions.

That's not all that true, the majority of the NFL's players money comes from the T.V. packages. I believe they get up to 60% of the 5 billion dollar a year T.V. deal. There might be some teams that make up to 30-40 million on just ticket sales, but that's not nearly enough to pay a full roster. I would imagine the teams may use some of that to pay for signing bonuses, but that's it.

Also, you do realize, the NFL claimed itself as a Non-profit organization up until last year?

One other thing....Roger Goodell, the NFL's commissioner probably makes 30-40 million dollars a year himself.

A good deal for one person. Not so much for a family of four or five. But still better than almost any other form of entertainment.

Like I said in a earlier post, it costs $62 per person to get into Six Flags Great America in Illinois and I'm not going in there by myself. People need to save their money and choose where they are going to spend their entertainment dollars, know one is going to lower ticket prices.

NFL is EXACTLY the same as NHRA 501c

You couldn't be more wrong about the NFL. This coming year the salary cap will be $167 million per team, and each team will receive $190 million as their cut of the TV revenue. So that is a $23 million dollar surplus before the first ticket is ever sold, the first jersey is ever sold or the first hot dog is ever sold or for the first parking spot is ever sold before the first corporate sponsorship is ever sold. The owners of EVERY NFL team could let us all in for free and they would still make money hand over fist. They charge what they can, because they can.

MLB has a complex revenue sharing system with no salary cap, but each team in MLB is free to negotiate their own TV contracts, so you have an imbalance of some teams with A LOT more money than others, a situation that does not exist in the NFL, where everything is collectively bargained. For the Dodgers and Yankees, the ticket revenue is probably not as crucial as it is in Cincinnati or Kansas City. Baseball also has an inventory problem, 81 home games a year is just too many for the modern fan to attend, an it is a huge commitment for watching n TV, so the ratings are down there too.

A new NBA TV contract kicks in next season, which is collectively bargained and the NBA does have a salary cap. This new TV contract is expected to almost double the TV revenue of all teams. The values of NBA teams have doubled in the last 5 years. They could also let us in for free and never really have to worry about the books at the end of the year.

Unlike the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB, the NHRA is a not for profit organization.

Sorry, but the NHL is a "not for profit" organization as well. Other big sports leagues that are also "not for profit" include the PGA, NCAA and U.S. Olympic Committee, all of which are way more substantial than the NHRA.

There is a profit. It is split up in bonuses to keep the books balanced at the end of the year. Someone please explain how Compton did and Light still deserve bonuses.

Has anyone noticed the lack of title rights sponsors at most of these races? Who do you think pays the purses? Sportsman cars only provide so much of that purse.

NFL is EXACTLY the same as NHRA 501c

No they are not.
As of 2015 the NFL league is no longer a 501C. The media rights and TV contracts are paid largely thru the individual teams
who have not had 501C status. The NFL league, who was a 501C, brings in a small portion of the total NFL revenue. The NFL league now has a tax liability every year somewhere around the $10million mark......The same is true for the NHL; the managing league is a 501C, the teams are not and pay tax on their profit. I would assume this structure may apply to other sports leagues
claiming 501C status.

Last edited:
No they are not.
As of 2015 the NFL league is no longer a 501C. The media rights and TV contracts are paid largely thru the individual teams
who have not had 501C status. The NFL league, who was a 501C, brings in a small portion of the total NFL revenue. The NFL league now has a tax liability every year somewhere around the $10million mark......The same is true for the NHL; the managing league is a 501C, the teams are not and pay tax on their profit. I would assume this structure may apply to other sports leagues
claiming 501C status.

You are correct, since I don't follow them as close as I used too, I guess I missed this from two years ago.
Thanks for setting me straight.

http://time.com/3839164/nfl-tax-exempt-status/

Alan

A lot of the NFL, NBA, NHL, ans MLB games are played in facilities paid for with tax payer money.

Yup. I live in Vegas, we just gave the Raiders $750 million of our tax dollars for a new stadium, plus there will be between 150-200 million in committed "capital improvements" in the stadium area. So, we are basically n the hook for a BILLION dollars to get the Raiders. Sure, there will be concerts and UNLV football in the stadium too, but it is not clear that any revenue from those events will go back to the state. The Raiders keep ALL revenues from their games though.

Last edited:
No they are not.
claiming 501C status.

The NFL going to "for profit" status was a backroom deal after some Congressman and Senators started to question the NFL's anti-trust status. So, rather than lose their anti-trust status, they dropped the 501 (c) charade.

Prices at major sporting events have skyrocketed over the years because of the salaries of the athletes. You go to a Yankees game and realize you're paying a ton because of the ridiculous payroll to pay the players.

Put a cap on the salaries of these pro athletes of $200,000/yr. and you will still have the same people playing. Most of the NBA and NFL players are dumb as rocks anyway so this is probably the only gig they can get for the great pay. That's a LOT of money for playing a game and way over the average yearly salary of any American. Especially when you consider that they don't work the entire year. If they can't live on that salary then they need to find another job or lower their standard of living.

With the substantially reduced salaries maybe the average family will once again be able to attend a pro game as the gate prices will be much lower.

Put a cap on the salaries of these pro athletes of $200,000/yr. and you will still have the same people playing. Most of the NBA and NFL players are dumb as rocks anyway so this is probably the only gig they can get for the great pay. That's a LOT of money for playing a game and way over the average yearly salary of any American. Especially when you consider that they don't work the entire year. If they can't live on that salary then they need to find another job or lower their standard of living.

With the substantially reduced salaries maybe the average family will once again be able to attend a pro game as the gate prices will be much lower.

You obviously didn't read beyond the post you quoted.

The leagues/owners rake in BILLIONS of dollars from TV every year, merchandise, corporate sponsorships, are given free stadiums and upgrades by the tax payers and you think the players should all be capped at 200K/year?!?!?! I am glad you are not my boss ...

Dumb as rocks is probably a harsh generalization, but they are not paid ungodly amounts of money for their genius. The athletes at the pro levels are for the most part genetic freaks, combined with insane amounts of work, and in some cases such as the NFL, sacrifice quality of life in later years. Even shortened life expectancies. So I'm not sure what a fair number is, but $200k/yr isn't it. IMO

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back