NHRA Ticket Prices (1 Viewer)

Yup. I live in Vegas, we just gave the Raiders $750 million of our tax dollars for a new stadium, plus there will be between 150-200 million in committed "capital improvements" in the stadium area. So, we are basically n the hook for a BILLION dollars to get the Raiders. Sure, there will be concerts and UNLV football in the stadium too, but it is not clear that any revenue from those events will go back to the state. The Raiders keep ALL revenues from their games though.
That $750 Million tax dollars are coming from the hotel tax, so most of that is passed onto the visitors. It could be used for better things than a football stadium though.

Put a cap on the salaries of these pro athletes of $200,000/yr. and you will still have the same people playing. Most of the NBA and NFL players are dumb as rocks anyway so this is probably the only gig they can get for the great pay. That's a LOT of money for playing a game and way over the average yearly salary of any American. Especially when you consider that they don't work the entire year. If they can't live on that salary then they need to find another job or lower their standard of living.

With the substantially reduced salaries maybe the average family will once again be able to attend a pro game as the gate prices will be much lower.
Tell that crap to a Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, or Ivy League player.

I think we're missing the point on the cost. While most of us diehards will drop the $50-60 for a national event it is not enough.
In order to reach new fans, which will lead to more sponsors which leads to more cars and so on, the price needs to be at a level that will attract them.
$60 for 20,000 fans
or
$30 for 45,000 fans

Norwalk host a night of fire. It varies a bit each year but usually 6-8 Nitro Funny cars, Jets, Nostalgia and all kinds of other stuff for $40 and the stands are packed. Saturday and Sunday of the National event are $60 and while the there is a good crowd I've never had to worry about not getting a seat for the nationals.

All sports rip of their fans with all the extras (food, parking and such) it's just more obvious as we are usually at the track, in the heat, all day. You can eat before a ball game and make it until after. You usually need to grab something when you are at the track for 6-12 hours.

I think we're missing the point on the cost. While most of us diehards will drop the $50-60 for a national event it is not enough.
In order to reach new fans, which will lead to more sponsors which leads to more cars and so on, the price needs to be at a level that will attract them.
$60 for 20,000 fans
or
$30 for 45,000 fans

Norwalk host a night of fire. It varies a bit each year but usually 6-8 Nitro Funny cars, Jets, Nostalgia and all kinds of other stuff for $40 and the stands are packed. Saturday and Sunday of the National event are $60 and while the there is a good crowd I've never had to worry about not getting a seat for the nationals.

All sports rip of their fans with all the extras (food, parking and such) it's just more obvious as we are usually at the track, in the heat, all day. You can eat before a ball game and make it until after. You usually need to grab something when you are at the track for 6-12 hours.
Last time I checked, you don't get ripped off by the food prices at Norwalk. The Bader's are smart enough to realize the are going to make more money with a full house. $40 plus hat, t-shirt, souvenir, and food sales equal a hell of a lot more than a $60 no sale.

The NFL schedule was announced today so I just went on a ticket site for the Bucs-Giants game this October and a ticket on the lower level is 400 dollars - each. So please don't tell me that NHRA's tickets are "expensive." :rolleyes:

The NFL schedule was announced today so I just went on a ticket site for the Bucs-Giants game this October and a ticket on the lower level is 400 dollars - each. So please don't tell me that NHRA's tickets are "expensive." :rolleyes:
NHRA tickets are expensive.

What fvck do I give about some football game? 49ers tickets were $40 bux last season.

My wallet says NHRA tickets are expensive. I can't be alone on this. I know I'm not. The empirical evidence of empty seats at NHRA events backs my statement up.

That $750 Million tax dollars are coming from the hotel tax, so most of that is passed onto the visitors. It could be used for better things than a football stadium though.

It is true that it is a "hotel tax", thusly should affect tourists more than locals. BUT, the tax is statewide, so if you go to Reno or Tahoe, that extra tax on your room bill is going to a stadium in Vegas, offering no benefit for the people of Northern Nevada. There have been economists saying that generating that kind of revenue off a hotel tax is optimistic at best. Lastly, the fine print of the deal stipulates that if there is a shortfall of revenue from the hotel tax, the state will make up the difference out of the general fund. As a resident of Nevada, I am tired of being constantly told there is not enough money to do this or do that, but when there is a new stadium to be built, the money was found seemingly overnight, in a closed door session of the legislature without public input. The whole thing stinks.

With all of that being said, I am kinda excited to have a team and new stadium here in town. I am curious if we will get other big events, like Final 4s or New Years Bowl games. The NFL commissioner said the stadium is being built "to host Super Bowls".

Yes, I understand this pretty much makes me a hypocrite. But hey, since the stadium is happening, I may as well embrace it, right?

Whether anyone on this board thinks it's a good value or not is irrelevant, it's simple supply and demand. If your stands are full your tickets are priced right. If they're not full then you're over charging. I'm not commenting on whether they are priced right or not because quite frankly I don't know the seating capacity vs. tickets sold for each venue.

Everyone has their reasons for going or not going, mine have nothing to do with ticket prices. It just got real boring when "cookie cutter" was the goal of every professional category and 1000 ft racing was the final nail in the coffin for me.

It is true that it is a "hotel tax", thusly should affect tourists more than locals. BUT, the tax is statewide, so if you go to Reno or Tahoe, that extra tax on your room bill is going to a stadium in Vegas, offering no benefit for the people of Northern Nevada. There have been economists saying that generating that kind of revenue off a hotel tax is optimistic at best. Lastly, the fine print of the deal stipulates that if there is a shortfall of revenue from the hotel tax, the state will make up the difference out of the general fund. As a resident of Nevada, I am tired of being constantly told there is not enough money to do this or do that, but when there is a new stadium to be built, the money was found seemingly overnight, in a closed door session of the legislature without public input. The whole thing stinks.

With all of that being said, I am kinda excited to have a team and new stadium here in town. I am curious if we will get other big events, like Final 4s or New Years Bowl games. The NFL commissioner said the stadium is being built "to host Super Bowls".

Yes, I understand this pretty much makes me a hypocrite. But hey, since the stadium is happening, I may as well embrace it, right?

I followed the Raiders move to LV very closely because I love the NFL and Las Vegas. lol. Originally the $750 Mil was going to fund the Las Vegas convention center. Sheldon Adelson owns the Sands covention center and he didnt want the money to go to a competitor. So he got involved and got that money moved to build the stadium but wanted a piece of the Raiders. Adelson more or less ending up not getting anything out of the deal. This deal does screw all visitors of Nevada and not just the Las Vegas visitors. It's so easy to put another tax on the tourists. When I rent a car in Vegas for a weekly rental, the rental itself usually runs $120-$150 and another $100 in taxes. No different in any state though. The public end up paying millions for a stadium for rich owners. This money could be spent elsewhere to better serve the citizens of Nevada.

I'm with you though. You should at least embrace it because you can't do anything to stop it. Not sure if you will ever get a NCAA championship game in Vegas. I know they have the Las Vegas Bowl and have 3 or 4 NCAA Mens conference tournaments but they would be very hesitant to put a national championship game in Vegas. Would be great to see though. They will get a SuperBowl for sure.

You are comparing different things. If I ask a 16 year old as they are scrapping together money to buy that first $4,000 beater car is expensive they will say yes. If I ask the millionaire they will say no. To compare the NFL to other sports is crazy. But even going by your example, it is still about demand. In 2009 the average ticket to a Seahawks game was $93 a few years latter after they became a powerhouse it rose to $220. Heck the stats I found were from a few years ago but it showed the Giants and Jets played in the same stadium, the Giants had the highest average ticket price and the Jets were one of the lowest. Demand dictated pricing. The Giants were easily bring fans in could raise their price while the Jets needed the lower price to bring them in.

It's pretty simple If there are too many seats empty then yes the price is too much. If you are trying to grow a sport, garner new fans and woo sponsors you don't chase them away before they come in the gate.

I could care less about pro sport ticket prices, I have never bought a ticket to a sporting event, college or pro.

NHRA yes, as many as 13 venues in one year, plus travel and lodging, I spend MY money on what I enjoy.

Whether anyone on this board thinks it's a good value or not is irrelevant, it's simple supply and demand. If your stands are full your tickets are priced right. If they're not full then you're over charging. I'm not commenting on whether they are priced right or not because quite frankly I don't know the seating capacity vs. tickets sold for each venue.

Everyone has their reasons for going or not going, mine have nothing to do with ticket prices. It just got real boring when "cookie cutter" was the goal of every professional category and 1000 ft racing was the final nail in the coffin for me.

WHAT HE SAID

183.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back