NHRA Ticket Prices (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
I'm sure that he ran the TF car because of the car count. NHRA needs to find a way to subsidize some of these smaller teams like Terry, Worshams, Paul Smith's that could show up with a fueler and a funny to ensure full fields. It wouldn't hurt to add a few Pro Stock teams either.

$10,000 for 1st rd loser sounds like a lot of money, till you realize it probably costs an independent team that much just getting to the track! When you figure parts attrition over the weekend, $10,000 doesn't even put a dent in what these guys spend. An independent FC racer told me about 7-8 years ago that he spent roughly $20,000 to go to a race, that was just to get there, pay for Motels and Food for his mostly Volunteer crew. Any Engine or Body damage could Double or Triple that price!

I really don't understand all this talk about costs. This is PROFESSIONAL racing at the highest level, it ain't gonna be cheap. It's just too expensive for its popularity level, not enough interest to get sponsors to shell out the millions it takes to field a successful operation.

The only way to make it cheaper is to water down the performance so non sponsored Joe Blow can afford it out of his pocket and then it will become even more unpopular and really drive away the few major sponsorships we do have.

That's my two cents.

I really don't understand all this talk about costs. This is PROFESSIONAL racing at the highest level, it ain't gonna be cheap. It's just too expensive for its popularity level, not enough interest to get sponsors to shell out the millions it takes to field a successful operation.

The only way to make it cheaper is to water down the performance so non sponsored Joe Blow can afford it out of his pocket and then it will become even more unpopular and really drive away the few major sponsorships we do have.

That's my two cents.

There's a lot going on here, so let me try and state my piece;

The first thing NHRA needs to do is lower ticket prices, they are just way too expensive for the average person.
The #1 goal for all sponsored and unsponsored teams looking for sponsors is "ROI" (return on investment), so if NHRA can adjust the rules to lowers costs, even if it is a 4.90 300 limit, then more teams should be able to compete and it will increase car counts, which in addition to lower ticket prices, will increase fans in the stands, which circles back to eyes on the sponsor and ROI. Its a symbiotic relationship!

I haven't seen anything on the mater about lack of title sponsors at national events. This has been an issue for a couple of years and I cant imagine its helped the NHRA's bottom line from week to week.

It will be interesting to see how the IHRA's Top Fuel class comes together. I know Dunn said they would have 2 cars, on the payroll, and the rest will be figured out.
I think IHRA may teach NHRA what the formula will be, for the future of the sport.

ROI comes from TV, fans in the stands is also important to the survival of the sport, when your company is spending millions on a racing team the want more than just fans in the stands, I agree that NHRA needs to bring ticket down as much as possible, I'm sure when a sponsor see's a sold out crowd on TV it can only enforce the idea that the potential is there, the ratings must back that up, one helps the other

ROI comes from TV, fans in the stands is also important to the survival of the sport, when your company is spending millions on a racing team the want more than just fans in the stands, I agree that NHRA needs to bring ticket down as much as possible, I'm sure when a sponsor see's a sold out crowd on TV it can only enforce the idea that the potential is there, the ratings must back that up, one helps the other
I agree that the ROI will come from the TV package, not fans in the stands. Last week was a sellout in Charlotte, Baytown will also be a huge crowd this weekend.

On a great note though, I went to lunch today at a sports bar filled with TV's, and sure enough the 4 Wides Sportman show was playing. That NEVER happened until the new FOX TV package.

The problem is no one is buying the products that the sponsors are selling. Even if everyone was watching and going to the races. People buy things now a days looking for a cheap price, not support. Castrol and Ford saw it with Force.

I bought a few Mopar vehicles because they sponsored Mike Dunn in the 90's.
Also bye Castrol Oil by the case. Good O'L 20/50... Still.
And Lucas Oil and fuel treatment. Always.

I agree that the ROI will come from the TV package, not fans in the stands. Last week was a sellout in Charlotte, Baytown will also be a huge crowd this weekend.

On a great note though, I went to lunch today at a sports bar filled with TV's, and sure enough the 4 Wides Sportman show was playing. That NEVER happened until the new FOX TV package.
There ya go, hope it continues

New fans in the stands become more eyes watching TV and increasing ratings. I've had people watch the shows and are indifferent but willing to see what it's like in person. But with $60 to walk in, then parking, food and such, it becomes a pricey day just to try something and I can't get them to take that next step.

Get those prices to 20-25$ and what you lose at the gate, you will gain in the back end by gaining new fans

........Get those prices to 20-25$ and what you lose at the gate, you will gain in the back end by gaining new fans
or at least you increase the crowd so the hot dog vendor sells more hotdogs and will still want to be
there next year after he/she pays the concession fe. a person shows up at an event with $100 in their pocket.
take a third of it at the gate, take another third in food concessions, then take the last third in souvenirs so they not only had fun but
leave with a tangible item.

I don't go to stick & ball sports events, so I don't know, but I feel like I've heard some outrageous prices to attend these games. Is an NHRA event really out of line in relation to other sports?

I don't go to stick & ball sports events, so I don't know, but I feel like I've heard some outrageous prices to attend these games. Is an NHRA event really out of line in relation to other sports?

Depends on the what and where. I live in Chicago. I can go to White Sox game and get decent seats for under $20 on a weekday, under $30 on the weekends. If I want to go to a Cubs game it's $80 for the seat behind a steel beam.

I'd rather pay 80 for a White Sox game. At least they get in contention later in the season, last year for the Cubs not counting. I live in providence and you can get food Red Sox tickets for about 50. Is rather go to the races, though.

What part of Chicago? My mom is from there, still have family (cousins) in the area, but I've not been there since 2003. Sort of have lost my bearings.

Depends on the what and where. I live in Chicago. I can go to White Sox game and get decent seats for under $20 on a weekday, under $30 on the weekends. If I want to go to a Cubs game it's $80 for the seat behind a steel beam.

Good point. Ask any SF Giants fan if they feel it's out of line to pay $40 just to park their car! I'm guessing not since most of the home games are sellouts. I think drag racing is a bargain to see live, and I love to stroll the pits, but with the watered-down personalities and cookie-cutter cars make it tough to justify sometimes. I don't have the answers, but maybe not making the fan feel as though he's at an all-day infomercial might be a start,

Yes those games are typically expensive but those leagues are money grubbing entities that have priced the normal families out of being able to catch a game and don't operate as a so called "non-profit" organization.

I'm a big fan of Nashville Predators hockey and they have made it harder for Chicago Blackhawks fans to come to our games. The reason being they come in droves. Why? From what I heard, Chicago fans could get a plane ticket to Nashville and a game ticket cheaper than it would cost for a Blackhawks game in Chicago. Not totally sure that is true but have heard it more than once. As for the Predators games I can buy tickets from the team itself and skip Ticketmaster fees and average purchasing $35-45 for a game. As for the NHRA, I've been to Zmax and Indy and I have to say at $175 for six days of racing at the US Nationals it has to be the best bang for the buck in sports entertainment.

New fans in the stands become more eyes watching TV and increasing ratings. I've had people watch the shows and are indifferent but willing to see what it's like in person. But with $60 to walk in, then parking, food and such, it becomes a pricey day just to try something and I can't get them to take that next step.

Get those prices to 20-25$ and what you lose at the gate, you will gain in the back end by gaining new fans
$35 tops

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back