Where's all the low buck teams? (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
One thing that was for sure, there use to be a lot of independent fuel teams when Pomona rolled around, not so many any more.

Last edited:
Rich, now that you need 4.50-.60 just to qualify, that pretty much wiped them out. Besides a lot of those guys now run Nostalgia series now.

Yep, the real attraction for me was all the independent teams. I liked the big teams too but there was once room for both. It seems like the big tent has gotten much smaller now and it doesn't have the flavor it once did. I liked the unpredictablility factor. It just isn't the same any more.

I hope grant downing in the silver fern racing team pontiac gets to race at pamona like he wanted to . GO THE KIWIS

yeah, the Silver Fern car was sponsored by a pizza joint here in my home town. Cheers to the Silver Fern!

low buck teams...

try following the IHRA great groups of racers and crews along with a orginization that knows why we race..IHRA nitro funny car

Rich....

I can't believe after seeing all of the multi-car teams and a 23-race schedule you would ask such a question.

I understand why Rich is asking, Bobby. It's been a 23-race, big buck deal for quite a few years now. But, it seems like Pomona always brought out a fair number of fuel cars that only competed sporadically, it kind of made the Pomona races unique because they usually had the biggest number of nitro entries on the tour.

Some of the Independent teams were a Safety safari clinic every time they came to the line. That I do NOT miss about them.:rolleyes:

by the looks of the results on the nhra website grant downing came 22nd and did not qualify for the field he ran around the 13 second mark . I guess there are no low buck teams to wish good luck ,it looks like the race is in the hands of the big wigs.

I understand why Rich is asking, Bobby. It's been a 23-race, big buck deal for quite a few years now. But, it seems like Pomona always brought out a fair number of fuel cars that only competed sporadically, it kind of made the Pomona races unique because they usually had the biggest number of nitro entries on the tour.

That is correct, there was always a bunch more independents at the finals and why I asked.

William, your right about the costs. I guess our independent teams can now be found in the IHRA or in the A/Fuel class. Cheers to both. Oh, and another reason is probably that heat treating rule thats going way next year.

Lets hope the Silver Fern gets in on Saturday!

Here in new zealand there is only one modern nitro funny car and no top fuelers . there are a couple of nostalgia nitro cars though .

William, a guy I use to work for raced a dragster in NZ. Also I think the Silver Fern team is from Austrailia.

lol the silver fern racing team and grant downing are from new zealand . The silver fern logo on the car is actually representing the silver fern which is a native new zealand plant that is an iconic symbol here . Who did you used to work for ?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back