Only two Independent fuel teams in Seattle (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
I noticed that Chrisman's Top Fuel team and Head's Funny car team were the only independent fuel teams racing in Seattle. One might think it's because everyone else has a sponsor. Well, there use to be about 20 fuel cars in each class and the four that didn't have a sponsor were still there trying to qualify. Now that the four independents are gone it's all pro teams with semis and vinyl wraps.

Last edited:
What ever happened to Ron Smith? He always ran Seattle, plus you gotta remember there was an IHRA race in Canada this weekend as well.

I may be wrong but aren't car counts always a bit down on the western swing?

i am guessing the Hartley's would have made the trek, but Joe and his wife just welcomed a brand new baby girl on Thursday, so congrats to them!

I don`t think the Hartleys were going to race again til after the Western Swing. Joe, you`re right about Ron Smith, this is the first time I haven`t seen him in Seattle. Craig Smith used to be there in the past, Ray Stutz too. Very weak T/F count for sure, and wouldn`t you know it, Morgan gets the short end of things...again!

I may be wrong but aren't car counts always a bit down on the western swing?

The car counts are in line with years past. In TF, the last five years it has been 17 (07), 16, 18, 18, and 18.

In FC, 19(07), 18, 21, 17, and 19.

Sonoma isn't much different. TF is 17(06), 20, 17, and 18.

FC is 17(06), 21, 19, and 20.

The shame is, there use to be lots of west coast top fuel teams, but they all have gone by the wayside.

Brainerd is also very similar, although the last few years has produced
at least 19 in one of the nitro classes. Hoping to see Gilby there this year,
and if we're lucky we might see Creasy, Wyatt, Palmer, Litton,
the Greek, and usually see the Hartleys, Bob Bode, and Luigy.
Congratulations to Joe Hartley and his wife.

I guess I don't understand the actual interpretation of independent?
T/F Independents as I understand them include:
BME/Bradshaw
Cory Mac
Vandergriff
Herbert
Millican

and

F/C Independents as I understand them include:
Bartone
Toliver
Densham
Wilkerson

Help me understand what you mean?

Maybe independent needs to be redefined. Guys who operate 1 car teams are only considered independent if they have no sponsorship? If someone throws Jim Head some $$$ for a quarter panel or bigger money for the sides, does that mean he isn't an independent any longer? I think nowadays the 1 car teams are the independents, even if they are sponsored. Guys who run fuel cars out of their pockets for mone than a race or two (like Chrisman) are rare, and will probably become rarer.

Maybe independent needs to be redefined. Guys who operate 1 car teams are only considered independent if they have no sponsorship? If someone throws Jim Head some $$$ for a quarter panel or bigger money for the sides, does that mean he isn't an independent any longer? I think nowadays the 1 car teams are the independents, even if they are sponsored. Guys who run fuel cars out of their pockets for mone than a race or two (like Chrisman) are rare, and will probably become rarer.

that is the way the TF team I work with runs (out of pocket owner/driver)and its ashame the money is hard to find cause the car is first class

Someone nailed it. They are all in IHRA now. I don't consider anyne on the tour full time with a sponsor and independent in NHRA.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back