Sorry Gordie, No 340.... (1 Viewer)

I wish someone would run 340, just to be done with it. Then it will go down as the fastest speed ever in drag racing and the cars will slow down and.......

IMO the mathematical possibility is still in play. RPM X gear ratio X tire size, as long as it is possible crew chiefs will figure out how to make the power to get there.
NHRA needs to change one of the "mechanical" limits so it becomes impossible to do.
Exactly. They did it before when everyone was running 2.90 rear ends; made them go up to 3.20 to keep the speeds down.

My guess is that Tony’s point is that if you start off with day racing and end well into the evening, very early morning, that’s a long day. Tired people are more prone to making mistakes. That’s not good if you’re working with a race car, a fuel car in particular.
Tired fans are also prone to get in their cars and go home, because it's to late.

A restrictor plate on top of the blower would be a easy and cheap way of slowing them down. Less air, less HP, real easy.

Even though I know et's are what wins drag races I have always enjoyed a big speed more than anything. In fact right now I get more excited over 333mph+ than a .80 in funny car or a .60 in top fuel Personally I would love to see someone go 340 at least once even though I know the second that happens is the second massive rule changes will go into effect.

What if "restricting" HP actually makes them go faster? not necessarily quicker.
Now think about this for a minute.
Blowing the tires off and spinning them down track is NOT using all the power they have now.
If they reduce the power they might actually be able to gain traction all the way down track and go faster.
Launch a little harder, Bring the clutch in sooner, less spinning down track...............
I do not see them slowing down much.
I am thinking ET might suffer more than MPH

who cares if they run 340. it's the same now as when they were knocking on 330. jeez!, i remember when joe went 270, then frank went 280, then connie (i think) went 290, then kenny to 300.
i can not tell you who went 310, 320, 330. i'm gonna' guess cory mac did one of those? now the rules have made FC mph more than TF. somebody said it perfectly maybe in this thread; if we could stop tripping over all these numbers/records and remember just how cool a 300mph 1/4 mile pass is. 350 will not be entertaining, it will be exponentially more dangerous

Last edited:
NHRA has never worried about what the racers think about any rule change they make. Kind of like Nascar. On Competition Plus there is a article about NHRA having tested a blower inlet restrictor plate and there are numerous responses from crew chiefs and drivers - all negative. There are many ways to slow the cars down - change the blower overdrive, smaller fuel pump, etc. One of the crew chiefs recommended shorter stroke engines. I think if they want to slow the cars down they need to look at and test all the alternatives with cost and engine life also a major consideration.

NHRA has never worried about what the racers think about any rule change they make. Kind of like Nascar. On Competition Plus there is a article about NHRA having tested a blower inlet restrictor plate and there are numerous responses from crew chiefs and drivers - all negative. There are many ways to slow the cars down - change the blower overdrive, smaller fuel pump, etc. One of the crew chiefs recommended shorter stroke engines. I think if they want to slow the cars down they need to look at and test all the alternatives with cost and engine life also a major consideration.
Terry, I guess my link didn't work, maybe somebody can provide the link successfully, lol.

Terry, I guess my link didn't work, maybe somebody can provide the link successfully, lol.

Just curious what article you read on Competition Plus Terry? Numerous responses from crew chiefs and drivers? The only crew chief mentioned in the entire article is Mike Green. As for drivers, Jack Beckman was quoted in the article, but the only thing he said was to give everyone an equal amount of time to deal with the change and to wait and see if the higher speeds become a norm. Matt Hagan was quoted, but he was just talking about the safety of the cars and putting on a good show.

So maybe you can shed some light on the other crew chiefs and drivers that all had negative comments?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back